Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j strongfeather Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Changing statute of limitations on credit card dept by moving to a different state
    In April of 2004 I received notice that my credit card dept of about $4800 plus late fees and penalties of about $1000 was being considered for collections. I was living in California when I initially signed up for the credit card and in 2003 moved to Oregon. Periodically for the next couple of years I was getting calls from collection agencies and my response was I didn't have any extra money at the time. In the summer of 2007 I received a summons to appear in court where the plaintiff was sueing me for $8900 plus 28% interest dating from May 2004 and shortly thereafter a date was set for arbitration. Just before the hearing the plaintiff dismissed the case without prejudice. Two days ago I received anotther summons to appear in court this time with the plaintiff requesting $6000 plus 26% interest dating from May of 2004. From my understanding California has a statute of limitations of 4 years while Oregon has a statute of limitations of 6 years. Would it make a difference and is it possible to move back to California and request a change of location for the court appearance to California since the statute of limitations is up in California?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by j strongfeather View Post
    In April of 2004 I received notice that my credit card dept of about $4800 plus late fees and penalties of about $1000 was being considered for collections. I was living in California when I initially signed up for the credit card and in 2003 moved to Oregon. Periodically for the next couple of years I was getting calls from collection agencies and my response was I didn't have any extra money at the time. In the summer of 2007 I received a summons to appear in court where the plaintiff was sueing me for $8900 plus 28% interest dating from May 2004 and shortly thereafter a date was set for arbitration. Just before the hearing the plaintiff dismissed the case without prejudice. Two days ago I received anotther summons to appear in court this time with the plaintiff requesting $6000 plus 26% interest dating from May of 2004. From my understanding California has a statute of limitations of 4 years while Oregon has a statute of limitations of 6 years. Would it make a difference and is it possible to move back to California and request a change of location for the court appearance to California since the statute of limitations is up in California?

My research indicates the Statute runs in the State where the account was opened OR in the State where the last payment was made or there was activity.

California or Oregon?

No, you have no grounds to change venue in order to avoid the Statute. I also question whether the service in 2007 factors in. Why was it dismissed?

I think you can argue Statute; I don't know that you'll win.
    j strongfeather Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 08:24 PM

There was no explanation in the judgement of dismissile why the plaintiff dismissed the case. Since the amount he was asking was $3000 over what I owed plus interest I believe he was hoping I would not fight the case giving him a very profitable victory. I also understand that the wording "without prefudice" gives me only a partial victory allowing the plaintiff to sue me later down the road which is what he is doing. It appears that since the amount I believe I owe agrees with what the plaintiff is asking and if the 6 year statute of limitations of Oregon applies instead of the California statute I may have no defense.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by j strongfeather View Post
    There was no explanation in the judgement of dismissile why the plaintiff dismissed the case. Since the amount he was asking was $3000 over what I owed plus interest I believe he was hoping I would not fight the case giving him a very profitable victory. I also understand that the wording "without prefudice" gives me only a partial victory allowing the plaintiff to sue me later down the road which is what he is doing. It appears that since the amount I believe I owe agrees with what the plaintiff is asking and if the 6 year statute of limitations of Oregon applies instead of the California statute I may have no defense.

The Plaintiff can't dismiss the case. Only the Court can dismiss the case.

And, yes, undoubtedly the dollar figure includes interest, Court costs, legal fees - and the Plaintiff can refile.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2008, 08:05 AM

Judy beat me to it. But my first reaction here is that a plaintiff cannot dimiss a case. Especially not with or without prejudice. That is up to a judge. Nor can the plaintiff even request dismissal because they are the party bringing suit. All the plaintiff can do is drop the suit, reserving the right to reinstitute the suit later on.

So something is not right here. Are you sure no hearing was held?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Statute of Limitations [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently been sued by a collection agency attorney. Mann-Bracken. The credit card that this suit is for is showing on my TransUnion credit report as Date Closed: 3/2003 with a remark, Closed by consumer. I live in Pennsylvania where the statute of limitations on this type of debt is 4...

Statute of Limitations Credit Card Debt NY State [ 2 Answers ]

I have been receiving correspondence from a company that bought a 10+ year old credit card bill that was 500.00, apparently they purchased it and it is now 2800+ dollars. I sent back the first 3 notices notifying them that the bill was 10+ years old and that I have received no correspondence in...

Statute of Limitations on Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new member, Café Racer. I have a question. I have been given different answers so I don't know which is correct. Statute of Limitation on Credit Card debt in MA is 6 years. So I was under the impression that that time was from when you opened the account. Then I was told that the...

Statute of Limitations on Credit Card Debt [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to ask limitations on credit card debt for Ontario. My daughter has this credit card debt back from 2003 (last time she made a payment). She is trying to clear up this debt now, so she called the lender. She gave them all her current info work etc etc. She advised them she would like...

View more questions Search