Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 11:27 AM
    What does this verse mean to you?
    My people perish for lack of knowledge.
    Do you think it is referring to spiritual or physical or a double meaning?

Studying alternative medicines and the Bible over the past few years I have come to think that it is talking about our physical health. I look around and see people eating junk food, taking drugs (street or prescription) and in really poor health. I see the people that follow good nutritious habits and follow alternative health and they are much healthier for the most part.
    Perishing means to rot like food the verse is not talking about someone that rejects or lacks knowledge of God and therefore cuts their bond with God.
    Perish is the opposite of prosper or flourish.
    Christians fill themselves with the junk foods full of preservatives, the synthetic medicines and so forth and then they wonder why they have poor health.

I looked up some articles that support what God has been showing me

My People Perish from Lack of Knowledge - Associated Content

Free Bible study: "God's healing part 2 - Why God's people perish before their time" at Christian Journey, Inc.

In the spiritual sense I would take it to mean that many people do not know the devils tricks and are easily lead astray or something like that.

I was wondering how others get out of this verse?

Thanks
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 12:16 PM

Nohelp4u, Because we have 3 scripture verses that speak of wisdom, and how the beginning of our wisdom is in fearing God, I feel we have to acknowledge God's Wisdom first , God's Plan first, and God's Power above all.
    Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy [is] understanding.
    Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do [his commandments]: his praise endureth for ever.
    Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Once we acknowledge where wisdom is found, we stand strong in God's power, and God can not be destroyed.
    {{{PRAISE GOD}}}

Always remembering the teach of Romans 16:16-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

And always acknowledge the answer to that teaching Romans 16:19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all [men]. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

Because the final out come will be as it is written Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you. Amen.

This was written from the beginning when God directly spoke to Satan Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

So we have knowledge in God's wisdom that has been written in the Word, and given to us through Christ Jesus and our obedience in faith.
    Romans 16:25-27 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
    To God only wise, [be] glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Dec 20, 2008, 01:32 PM

Why must we fear someone or something that is supposedly "all good"?
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 01:40 PM

FEAR in the Biblical sense means reverence and awe
    Not really under the table and tremble while biting your nails type thing
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    FEAR in the Biblical sense means reverence and awe
    not really under the table and tremble while biting your nails type thing
    Agreed, though I believe that mankind as a whole needs to have a heatlhy fear (in the other sense) of God if we are not in a right relationship with Him.

Heb 10:30-32
    30 For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine; I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The LORD will judge His people." 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
    NKJV
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Dec 20, 2008, 02:13 PM
    My people perish for lack of knowledge.
    Do you think it is referring to spiritual or physical or a double meaning?

I did a quick word study and where the word "perish" is used in the OT it always seems to mean the temporal sense.

Only a few, like Jn.3:16 , give a clear meaning of spiritual perishing in the NT.

Yes, we are like "sheep without a shepherd" in many ways that we lead our lives... and then suffer for it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Agreed, though I believe that mankind as a whole needs to have a heatlhy fear (in the other sense) of God if we are not in a right relationship with Him.

Heb 10:30-32
    30 For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine; I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The LORD will judge His people." 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
    NKJV
    I agree because our pride, and free will can steer clear of following in obedience to reap that which was sown to evil. A healthy fear in not wanting to go against God is a faithful child and servant.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

This can be done of free will and choice.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 07:05 PM

I believe the passage was written for a particular time and situation, but we can certainly extrapolate from it words of wisdom for our lives today.

For instance, a number of my counseling clients have come to me with huge emotional holes that were never filled by their parents. Certain things--the tools for living a contented and even successful life--were never addressed and passed on. Some of the physical tools parents are supposed to pass on would be knowing how to balance a checkbook, being able to change the oil in one's car or fix a flat, knowing not to overload one's credit cards or buy things beyond one's means. Some of the spiritual tools would be to have God as one's anchor and foundation so one would be able to deal with difficult and toxic people, centering rituals could be established, and an uplifting prayer life would become the norm.

Someone without physical and spiritual tools will live in fear that he is ill-equipped, and all the speedbumps throughout his life will assure him of that. Obedience to God and being able to make decisions based on His truths will keep him from giving up, smooth out the speedbumps, and allow life to be lived abundantly.
    deeva28 Posts: 23, Reputation: 9

Dec 20, 2008, 07:05 PM

I believe that it can be taken as either, but I think that it meant on a spiritual level. Think about the things that were going on then. People were dying not of physical things like obesity, but from spiritual unawareness. Those that did not know God died in floods, burning of whole cities, and the list could go on. When a person does not know God, they die spiritual deaths ands in turn all other things fall into place.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 08:47 PM

I believe it means that HIS people PERISH ( meaning physical, mental,emotional) because of lack of knowledge... in everyway a person can perish. That is my take on it. In EVERY way... and I think HE is only speaking of HIS people...
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 09:03 PM

Let's look at the context:

Hos 4:6-11
    6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
    Because you have rejected knowledge,
    I also will reject you from being priest for Me;
    Because you have forgotten the law of your God,
    I also will forget your children.

7 "The more they increased,
    The more they sinned against Me;
    I will change their glory into shame.
    8 They eat up the sin of My people;
    They set their heart on their iniquity.
    9 And it shall be: like people, like priest.
    So I will punish them for their ways,
    And reward them for their deeds.
    10 For they shall eat, but not have enough;
    They shall commit harlotry, but not increase;
    Because they have ceased obeying the LORD.

11 "Harlotry, wine, and new wine enslave
    NKJV

In this God is speaking specifically of His people, the nation of Israel. But note that they lack knowledge because they rejected knowledge. This whole passage is speaking of the rebellion of the people against God and against His teachings found in scripture.

Their destruction refers to the consequences of their rebellion against God and their sin.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 12:02 AM
    I agree with wondergirl.
    As yes to fear God means not so much to be in terror of Him, but rather to revere and honor Him.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 12:35 AM

Christians do not see the trap that has been laid for them. It is coming. Christians believe people in power when they tell them that they too are christians when in fact, they are Satans own, working to destroy our Christain nation and way of life.
    This is all happening faster and faster and because Christians are lied to by the media, politicians and the education system, they will perish from a lack of truth. They will be led down the primrose path to their own destruction.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 12:43 AM
    magprob,
    I agree with you somewhat.
    But I do not believe that ALL of our leaders tend to lead us astray or ALL of the media is a danger to Christianity.
    But a lot of them are, from my point of view, and they make us suffer.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 05:42 AM

In this God is speaking specifically of His people, the nation of Israel. But note that they lack knowledge because they rejected knowledge. This whole passage is speaking of the rebellion of the people against God and against His teachings found in scripture.

Their destruction refers to the consequences of their rebellion against God and their sin.
    If we look into the meanings of each word spoken we can see that this was not spoken to the house of Israel or the nation of Israel only.

Hsa 4:6 My people 5971 are destroyed 1820 (8738) for lack of knowledge 1847: because thou hast rejected 3988 (8804) knowledge 1847, I will also reject 3988 (8799) thee, that thou shalt be no priest 3547 (8763) to me: seeing thou hast forgotten 7911 (8799) the law 8451 of thy God 430, I will also forget 7911 (8799) thy children 1121.

Example shown in Ezekiel God proclaimed that all souls are His, and no more will it be the proverb concerning land of Irsael which determined kinship and nation as separate. God's children are followers of The Word. His people are those that live in obedience and sin not. All souls belong to God..

Ezekiel 18:1-4 The word of the LORD came unto me again, saying What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge? [As] I live, saith the Lord GOD, ye shall not have [occasion] any more to use this proverb in Israel. Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

The following verse 18:25 is spoken to the house of Israel and we can define the directed meaning as descendants of Jacob who were shown in scripture as examples and not always as ensampled vessels to mold our lives with.

Ezekiel 18:25 Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? Are not your ways unequal?

Israelites or Israel house of = Yisra'el =meaning the name of the descendants and the nation of the descendants of Jacob

My People =`am = meaning people, nation, persons, members of one's people, compatriots, country-men kinsman, kindred

The scripture verse of Hsa 4:6 is spoken to God's people (members of one's people) God's children and followers. It does not mean the house of Israel or Israelites only. In scripture Hosea 2:23 God's people are those who will call Him their God, who offer God mercy/love and accept God's knowledge. Further refer says: Those betroth to God in righteousness and faithfulness. And Christ said Matthew 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Let's look at the context:

Hos 4:6-11
    6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
    Because you have rejected knowledge,
    I also will reject you from being priest for Me;
    Because you have forgotten the law of your God,
    I also will forget your children.

7 "The more they increased,
    The more they sinned against Me;
    I will change their glory into shame.
    8 They eat up the sin of My people;
    They set their heart on their iniquity.
    9 And it shall be: like people, like priest.
    So I will punish them for their ways,
    And reward them for their deeds.
    10 For they shall eat, but not have enough;
    They shall commit harlotry, but not increase;
    Because they have ceased obeying the LORD.

11 "Harlotry, wine, and new wine enslave
    NKJV

I believe we can learn a lot about lessons God specifically meant for his people the Jews.
    Like Moses and his people in the wilderness because of their hard heartedness.

I believe Magprob hit the nail on the head with what I am getting at. We listen to and follow man's ways which are contrary to God's ways. The media and medical/pharmaceutical puts it in us to believe that synthetic prescription drugs are what we need and tell us than the natural organic things God intended to have us healthy.
    We think nothing of loading up on junk food with tons of chemicals. I believe if we as Christians followed some sort of 'prescription' for health by eating more healthy we could live healthier into our old age. But we perish before our time because we end up in the same health problems as the ones who follow man's way.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:40 AM

Ephraim is the 10 Tribes of the north, and Judah the 2 tribes south.

In the scripture Hosea 6:4 God has questioned the goodness of both north and south tribes. By verse 6:6 God is said to say He desired mercy/love and His knowledge known to them.

Let's remember God divorced Judah in Jeremiah 3:8 and according to Hosea 1:5 Israel would be scattered because of the evil ways, and backsliding that was taught to them. AND further refer goes on to hear God say they are not my people.. WHEN? they are not doing the Will Of God.

God scattered them and has offered the opportunity to them to grow and be sown new. Judah was the evil that brought down Israel and accused as the treacherous sister in Jeremiah 3:7. Note verse 3:10 And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.

Jeremaih 3:11 And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah.

God's plan to gather what was sown new will be His People. And God's Wisdom is offered to His people. PLus God's power was establish, and known to help us to serve Him in faithfulness and obedience.

Can we learn from this that we want to be His people? Lack of knowledge permits deception.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 11:56 AM
    sndbay
    You said, "God's plan to gather what was sown new will be His People. And God's Wisdom is offered to His people. PLus God's power was establish, and known to help us to serve Him in faithfulness and obedience.

Can we learn from this that we want to be His people? Lack of knowledge permits deception.

I agree.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 12:51 PM
    I believe we can learn a lot about lessons God specifically meant for his people the Jews.
    Like Moses and his people in the wilderness because of their hard heartedness.
    Agreed, because His dealings with Israel tell us much about His character and God never changes.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Lack of knowledge permits deception.
    I could not agree more. That is why all Christians need to be in God's word every day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Translate a verse from english to sanskrit [ 1 Answers ]

which is god may you give a life to my enemies so they can stand on their feet to witness me victorious ,its for a tattoo =) but I really need help for a good translation and written form

What verse is this? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the verse that goes something like, if you denie me in front of man, I will denie you in front of my father. Somthin like that. I'm having my confirmation and I am supposed to choose a verse, and that one is most meaning full to me

1peter 2 verse 9 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi could you please help with 1 peter verse 9. The topic I'm suppose to do for my church is saved to server I need info on that. I don't know what that mean. Could you write me scriputers or a page writing. Thanks :D

I mean 1 peter chap 2 verse 9 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi could you please help with 1 peter chap 2 verse 9. The topic I'm suppose to do for my church is saved to server I need info on that. I don't know what that mean. Thanks

View more questions Search