Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    met2181 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Leaking shower facet
    I tried removing the shower facet using a shower bonnet socket and it just slips when I try to turn it it seems the bonnet nut is worn. How can I remove the nut safely.
    Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by met2181 View Post
    I tried removing the shower facet using a shower bonnet socket and it just slips when I try to turn it it seems the bonnet nut is worn. How can I remove the nut safely.
    Thanks
    Is this your shower valve? Let me know, Tom

Dec 20, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Is this your shower valve? Let me know, Tom
    Yes similar but just hot and cold water
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2008, 03:17 PM
    OK! The valves are the same with the exception of the center dirverter. Get on the bonnet packing nut with a set of vice grip pliers and turn it out counterclockwise. Good luck, Tom

Dec 20, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    OK! The valves are the same with the exception of the center dirverter. Get on the bonnet packing nut with a set of vice grip pliers and turn it out counterclockwise. Good luck, Tom
    Ok so does the stem then screw out of the valve or does the large nut have to come off. If it doesn't I had the packing nut off but the stem didn't come all the way out.
    Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Ok so does the stem then screw out of the valve or does the large nut have to come off. If it doesn't I had the packing nut off but the stem didn't come all the way out.
    All the nuts have to come off. Then the stem and washer assembly will turn out counter clockwise. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen facet leaking at central valve [ 4 Answers ]

I have a moen facet for the shower and tub. Recently I have had to make the bath tub more friendly for the disabled which included adding an attachment which allows the water to go into a hand held sprayer arm. Yesterday while using the attachment, the water started to leak from the primary...

Loss of hot water in Moen Shower facet - single, pull handle [ 8 Answers ]

I have lost significant pressure in my shower equipped with a Moen single handle pull out and rotate - R or L. I have a 2nd shower with identical unit - swapped cartridge - no change. Pulled out the posi-pressure valve on the hot side and found some debries, no change in pressure, may be worst....

Shower and facet running at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

My shower and faucet are running at the same time. The shower seems to get all the hot water and the faucet all the cold. I can't take a shower without running completely out of hot water.

Shower and facet water running at the same time [ 1 Answers ]

In my bathroom the shower runs as well as the facet as if I were running water to take a bath. The water pressure from the shower head is no that strong. What can I do to have just the shower water running?

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

View more questions Search