Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tomyslady Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Water leak around exhaust fan
    My exhaust fan in bathroom is leaking when there is a hard windy rain. Could it be, the rain is pooling around the upper part of the vent and running in? Would it be a good idea to put flashing around the upper part to keep it from running in?
    Thank you,
    Lorraine
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 08:10 AM

How does the vent leave the house? From the roof or through the wall?

Dec 20, 2008, 08:14 AM
    It is mounted on the roof.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 08:19 AM
    And the stack is covered? Or open pipe with a pipe boot around it?or a flat roof vent or a curved stack hood?

Also how high is the vent out of the roof?

Dec 20, 2008, 08:27 AM
    It is a flat cover. The total vent height is about 3". It has just started leaking, about 6 months ago. We have had hard rains before.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 08:33 AM

OK the flat roof vent probably has lost it's seal.

When a roofer lays the shingle ,the vent cover is installed with the elimination of shingles around the new roof vent.The vent has flashing around it and the roofer applies(hopefully) roof cement around the top and sides to seal the vent.

In time the roof will expand and contract causing the seal to be compromised.

Applying new roof cement(you can use tube form for ease) around the edges, not the bottom,the bottom should be exposed,above the shingle as to allow water to exit from the vents sides and not under the shingles(below it) but on top.

This should fix the problem.

If it doesn't let us know and we can further address it with you.

KBC

Dec 20, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Thank you very much, my husband will try this.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 10:22 AM

My one bathroom exhaust fan was leaking as well. When my son got up on the ladder and looked at the vent he found that several shingles surrounding the vent had to be recemented with roofing tar and since he did this it has not leaked. Probably just needs retarred.

Dec 20, 2008, 06:34 PM

Thank you both for all your help.
    Lorraine
    Rvlec Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2009, 07:44 PM

How steep is your roof pitch?

Jan 5, 2009, 07:12 AM
    The pitch of my roof is 3/12..
    Rvlec Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 05:49 PM

Flatter roofs (lower pitches) sometime require extra care when flashing. The low pitch combined with heavy blowing rain can cause leaks. Also if you have snow and ice that stay on the roof for a while, low pitch roofs are more likely to leak. I suggest having the fan roof cap re-worked and make sure the shingles are done properly and adequately sealed with roofing caulk.
    Kimmer25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 06:46 PM
    My vent has leaked twice. I had my roof replaced this spring and since then, I have had the rain water pool in the tubing in the attic and buckets full of water dripping into my bathroom. It is happening now and I am so frustrated. I called the roofing company the first time it happened; I was told that the roof was fine. I had some bee nests inside the vent and the man stated that the vent was slightly propped open-the reason why the water got into the vent. The man told me that the vent may need to be replaced-it never leaked with the old roof. Am I being scammed?
    BuilderBrent Posts: 8, Reputation: 4

Nov 23, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmer25 View Post
    My vent has leaked twice. I had my roof replaced this spring and since then, I have had the rain water pool in the tubing in the attic and buckets full of water dripping into my bathroom. It is happening now and I am so frustrated. I called the roofing company the first time it happened; I was told that the roof was fine. I had some bee nests inside the vent and the man stated that the vent was slightly propped open-the reason why the water got into the vent. The man told me that the vent may need to be replaced-it never leaked with the old roof. Am I being scammed?
    I don't think "scammed" is the right word necessarily, but someone is definitely trying to talk their way out of repairing their mistake. I have had many customers who have told me about having roofs replaced that didn't leak, only to have it leak with the new roof installed. And, truth be told, I have done it myself. It's not as uncommon as you may think. What is uncommon is the unwillingness to remedy the situation.

Most likely one of two things happened. An employee got in a hurry and missed some flashing, or tar where needed (which is what happened to me), or damaged the vent itself while removing the original roofing materials and didn't bother replacing or reporting it (this sounds more likely in your case).

Check the vent for yourself or have someone you trust take a look and check for damage caused by roofing shovels or pitch forks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Leak near bathtub but no leak behind tub found [ 5 Answers ]

I recently noticed water marks in the ceiling on the lower floor that is about 3-6 feet away from the tub above that floor. I had noticed similar leak several years ago, just painted it over and did not see any more water marks for several years. I cannot seem to find where it is coming from. I...

Roof Leak near exhaust vent pipe [ 6 Answers ]

I apparently have a leak from the second floor roof. Roofer says it is the plastic boot which is about 8 years old and probably has a crack in it. The cost he quote to replace al 4 boots was about $900. That seems high to me. He said he would replace with an aluminum boot. Thanks.

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

Furnace has water noise in exhaust pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My furnace is 11years old and I can hear water trickling inside the exhaust pipe. The vent pipe goes up through the attic.This is the first time I've ever heard this. Thanks

View more questions Search