Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mahenck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 01:17 AM
    Is it necessary to have bank account opened for joint tax filing
    Hi
    I came to USA in feb 2008 on H1B, My wife and kid came on H4. My wife got her H1B in October this year.she is still looking for a project, Until now she has't received any pay cheque from her employer, She got her SSN in October, but she doesn't have bank account yet. We will be filing the tax togther,
    Is it mandetory that she has to have bank account opened here in USA ?

Thanks in advance
    Chandra
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mahenck View Post
    Hi
    She got her SSN in october, but she doesn't have bank account yet. We will be filing the tax togther,
    Is it mandetory that she has to have bank account opened here in USA ?

Thanks in advance
    Chandra
    No - there is no need for your wife to have her own banking account, at least as far as the IRS and your filing status is concerned. However, while the IRS doesn't care about it, it would be advantageous for her to either have her own or have a joint account with you, just in case. Suppose you were in an accident, or otherwise were unable to write checks - how would she handle the family finances?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2008, 03:59 AM

You can file joint return as residents, and do not need joint bank account. You must both declare your world wide income for 2008.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Agree with both ebaines' and MukatA's posts.

For direct deposit, the account must have one or the other's joint filers' name on the account, or the bank will reject the direct deposit. However, ebaines' points about the joint account are well taken.

BOTTOM LINE: Unless you do not trust your wife to have direct access to your money (in which case, then WHY are you married?), open a joint account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint Account opened in a scheduled bank (E or S) [ 4 Answers ]

Myself and my father opened a joint account in a scheduled bank with Either or Survivor basis. My father expired now. Bank fails to permit to operate the account exclusively by me but made with liminatation. My cheque sent to a party with my signature also returned by the bank stating...

Joint bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I will be moving to florida soon, I plan to open up a bank account. Question is, my father will be moving down also, but for the mean time i was wondering is there any way i can have a joined state-to-state back account with him, or is there some way i can put money in, and he can fully access the...

Frozen Joint Bank Account [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has a judgement on his credit report and the debt collector has frozen our joint account. If the debt is in his name only and I am a joint holder on the account and have money going into it, can they legally freeze the account and take my money also to pay his debt? The debt is not to...

Bank Account Levy, joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Today, a levy was placed on the joint account of myself and my wife, for a debt she had from a credit card company. Once I found out, I called her and had her call the lawyer, who then told her to dispute it, she would have to send a certified letter to the court, as well as the plaintiff, as to...

View more questions Search