Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Baptism and salvation
    What is the relationship of Baptism and salvation?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 08:12 PM

The Bible says repent and be baptized
    Baptism is a spiritual cleansing and a proclamation to express your commitment,
    I believe baptism comes after you repent because you can't 'cleanse' what is still in its sin,
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    The Bible says repent and be baptized
    Baptism is a spiritual cleansing and a proclamation to express your commitment,
    I believe baptism comes after you repent because you can't 'cleanse' what is still in its sin,
    Would you suggest that faith is required before baptism?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 08:37 PM

God (in the form of His Holy Spirit) comes to us where we are and begins to work faith in us. Baptism is one of the means of grace, one of the avenues, used.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 08:37 PM

Does anybody that doesn't have faith feel a need to get baptized?
    I would say it would be a requirement because I don't see any non believers running out to get baptized,

You can baptize an infant but they should get baptized as an adult as the Bible says Repent and be baptized
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 08:40 PM
    I would say it would be a requirement because I don't see any non believers running out to get baptized
    I do and have for many, many years.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I do and have for many, many years.
    I see professing Christians being baptized but not people who claim they have NO belief in God.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 08:46 PM
    I see professing Christians being baptized but not people who claim they have NO belief in God.
    Then please attend some Lutheran baptisms.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 08:47 PM

Infants are baptized; surly they aren't cognizant of an unmerited grace. Or do you feel that children can't be baptized?

JoeT
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 08:51 PM

Yeah you do have a point there but they do infant baptism as a tradition of the church. I am saying a grown person not having any faith or repentance wanting to get baptized as an adult,
    I grew up Lutheran and know that many Lutheran churches are more like social clubs,
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 08:52 PM

We've had threads like this before, and this one won't go anywhere either. There's the infant-baptism crowd and, opposing them, the adults-only crowd. Never the twain shall meet.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 08:55 PM
    I see nothing wrong with infant baptism, In Acts they told a whole house to be baptized, There could have been kids in that household,
    I just believe that once you are grown you should reaffirm your faith by baptism,
    Your parents baptize you when you are an infant that is THEIR faith or their motives not yours, You should reaffirm it for your own faith when you are grown,
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 09:00 PM
    I see nothing wrong with infant baptism, In Acts they told a whole house to be baptized, There could have been kids in that household,
    I just believe that once you are grown you should reaffirm your faith by baptism,
    Your parents baptize you when you are an infant, You should reaffirm it for your own faith when you are grown,
    That's the reason churches have Confirmation, to reaffirm Baptism.

In the Lutheran churches I've belonged to (none of which were "social clubs"), if an adult has never been baptized, he/she studies for x number of weeks (depends on Bible and church doctrine knowledge), then is baptized and confirmed. Confirmation is a lead-in to the taking of Holy Communion.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:00 PM
    God (in the form of His Holy Spirit) comes to us where we are and begins to work faith in us. Baptism is one of the means of grace, one of the avenues, used.
    Then is baptism necessary?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    Then is baptism necessary?
    Necessary for what -- For salvation? For church membership? To rate a big party and gifts?
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:12 PM

In the Lutheran churches I've belonged to (none of which were "social clubs"), if an adult has never been baptized, he/she studies for x number of weeks (depends on Bible and church doctrine knowledge), then is baptized and confirmed. Confirmation is a lead-in to the taking of Holy Communion.
    Those not in full communion with the Catholic Church can be reconciled, even those who once denied the Church. Those would not be possible if faith were required. Catholics hold that baptism is the remission of all sin, original and actual, as well as, the temporal punishment of sin. The second effect of baptism is to infuse a sanctifying grace “perfecting the essence of the soul… it is a certain participated likeness of the Divine Nature.”

The effects of baptism remains for life renewed when the soul cooperates with the graces conferred. These graces remain whether Confirmation is made. However, Confirmation, confers a chrism of salvation. Confirmation perfects the Christian.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Necessary for what -- For salvation? For church membership? To rate a big party and gifts?
    Well, I’ve heard from some of you that the grace of faith was necessary before baptism, and we know that without baptism we cannot enter the Kingdom of God. So, my question to you was, “is baptism necessary”; i.e. for salvation?

JoeT
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Those not in full communion with the Catholic Church can be reconciled, even those who once denied the Church. Those would not be possible if faith were required.
    JoeT
    So are you are you saying that faith is not required?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 09:20 PM
    Well, I’ve heard from some of you that the grace of faith was necessary before baptism, and we know that without baptism we cannot enter the Kingdom of God. So, my question to you was, “is baptism necessary”; i.e. for salvation?

JoeT
    I say no. If someone is unbaptized and is dying and honestly asks God for forgiveness, I do not believe God will condemn him.

God looks into a person's heart. He doesn't check first to make sure someone has been baptized.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:22 PM

Confirmation is religion and I really don't see it in the Bible, I left the Lutheran church because I just don't see how the church formulas get you 'saved' I did the confirmation and baptism when I was in High school exactly the way you just said,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why baptism [ 22 Answers ]

Fr Chuck, I have always wondered why you baptize babies. In my church we dedicate them back to God. It is basically the same thing isn't it?

Is salvation earned? [ 28 Answers ]

I was once told via an indirect, that there were Christians who expected to be saved by riding on the backs of those who heeded Jesus' instructions to preach the Gospel. I have also observed many Christians literally breaking their necks to be in good standing with God by preaching, looking down on...

Baptism! [ 49 Answers ]

I was baptised when I was a small baby. My parents automatically dedicated my life to Christianity by doing so. In short, I wasn't given a chance to think for myself. Do you think parents should wait until an offspring can think for him/herself before being baptised? ...

Baptism [ 2 Answers ]

What is a nice gift for a great granddaughters baptism?

View more questions Search