Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    100furnace Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Pilot fails to light Carrier furnace
    Carrier Weathermaker Infinity furnace, 16 yrs old. On start up furnace goes through correct sequence right up to pilot light ignition. There is gas coming from the pilot hole which I can light usinging a match, once lit the furnace will work properly. There does not appear to be any spark coming from the ignitor. Ive tried seeing if there is a spark from the Spark generator terminal using a scew driver to see if a spark will jump a gap to the driver -no spark was generated. I've measured the voltage between terminals T2 and T3 of the spak generator and got: an AC measurement of 25volts.
    Any ideas as to why I'm not getting a spark at the pilot light position?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 08:11 PM
    It could be a bad cable.
    It could be that the unit is not generating sufficient power to spark.
    Take a spare piece of wire from the spark device and touch close to the furnace metal to see if a spark will be generated. Unless you have a high voltage meter to test with.
    NOW I did not say to ground the wire. Just bring it close to see if a spark will jump. Naturally you will have to turn on the furnace so becareful.

PS do not lite the pilot during this test. Actually it might work best if the gas line is turned off since I do not believe the valve in that unit has to have gas pressure to allow the unit to spark.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Furnace sparcks but will not light pilot/burner. [ 3 Answers ]

My Carrier Gas Furnace Model#58GS will not light pilot/burner when turned on. I can hear and see the spark but it does not light up. It appears that no gas is coming through even though the control knob and manual shut off valve are turned on. I also cannot smell gas. Gas to house is OK because gas...

Carrier Gas Furnace will not light pilot and burner [ 3 Answers ]

My Carrier Gas Furnace Model#58GS will not light pilot/burner when turned on. I can hear and see the spark but it does not light up. It appears that no gas is coming through even though the control knob and manual shut off valve are turned on. I also cannot smell gas. Since it was easy, I...

How do you light the pilot light of a Carrier furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you light the furnace of a Carrier furnace model #58DLA110-12?

Carrier Furnace pilot lights, nothing else happens.its cold! [ 16 Answers ]

Hi All, First, thanks for the great place to ask for help. I've learned a lot about my furnace after reading many posts online, but I have not been able to solve my problem. Here goes: 1) I have a Carrier 58DH060-CC (Made in the 80's) 2) When starting from scratch, if I turn off the...

View more questions Search