Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 22, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Excellent.
    Well according to Dell's site you need DDR 400 Mhz RAM modules.
    Dell : Memory : Accessories : Home & Home Office

These are relatively easy to get hold of and quite cheap as well.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 11:17 AM

Will this one work?

1GB PC2700 LOW DENSITY DDR MEMORY 4 DELL DIMENSION 2400 - eBay (item 200270479830 end time Jan-01-09 00:41:55 PST)
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 11:20 AM

Never mind, the one I linked to is only 333mHz; I found a 400 mHz from the same seller. Thank you so much :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 03:41 PM

Alrighty! I just received my "Dell validated" 1GB, 400mHz RAM in the mail... now what? Lol

Is it a "plug & play" so to speak? Do I pull off the cover, insert it(with the computer off, of course!) & I'm good to go?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 29, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Yep, that's about it.
    You may get a RAM warning, but READ what it says and go from there.

Make sure you earth yourself so as not to damage the memory module.
    Also remove the old 128 stick as well.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 04:34 PM

Okie dokie; got it in! Would have saved a lot of time, had I not experienced a blonde moment and forgotten that the side panel has a "release lever" lol

It seems to be faster but could still use some help. For example: I turned it on, Windows loaded and asked which profile I would like to use. I scrolled over the name and it took 8 full seconds for the mouse arrow to change to a hand. Do you recommend I try everything(defrag, CCleaner, etc.) all over again?
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Dec 29, 2008, 08:50 PM

To run event viewer, go start/run/type eventvwr.msc, then take a look at both the applications, and system errors. You might see something that happens at the same time as your windows logon. Only worry if it's an error.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 30, 2008, 06:54 AM

Another thing you might try is downloading and running Process Explorer, and looking for processes that are hogging your CPU (event viewer will give you a static view of errors that have occurred, process explorer will give you a dynamic view of what's happening in your CPU).
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 07:18 AM

All of the most recents errors in the Applications file are described as IE "hanging" and the last one occurred yesterday at 8:55am. I assume that's just when it temporarily freezes, which it hasn't done quite yet since I upgraded the RAM last night around 5pm.

There hasn't been an error recorded in the System file since 12/19; that was to tell me my AVG E-mail scanner didn't load quick enough.

I also downloaded Process Explorer; doesn't seem like there's anything unnecessarily running or taking up a lot of space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow computer [ 6 Answers ]

Ever notice that the most common question people have is why their computer slows down over time? I run ad-ware and virus programs and still it's noticeable how much it has slowed. Any general ideas welcome plus two specific things: Can running more than one virus/ad-ware program slow it down, and...

My computer so slow [ 8 Answers ]

Hello people. I have problem with my PC and it is a common problem which may face many Anyway I have windows VISTA install in my computer and it is soooo slow I have 1 GB memory So what are the procdure that I can do to over come this problem And thank you

Computer is slow [ 16 Answers ]

I hαve αn XP: HP pαvillion α300n Its gotten pretty slow even with high speed internet whαt cαn I do to mαke it go fαst like before--- I reαlly don't wαnt to go to α computer person αnd get ripped off like I usuαlly do since I'm "technologicαlly chαllenged" :( Help:)

Slow computer [ 8 Answers ]

What causes the computer to be so slow or sluggish in return responses? It seems like it takes forever to go from 1 website to another or between links within the site.

Very Slow Computer [ 3 Answers ]

For a fairly long time now my computer has been extremely slow, booting up takes about Ten minutes, when I open and shut programs everything slows down nearly to a holt and I have to leave and come back, starting most programs takes a while and opening too many explorer windows slows everything...

View more questions Search