Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needanswers Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Laundry tub; washing machine sink
    The sink in which the tubing from our washing machine is clogged.
    It has been for days. What can I use to unclog it. I've been unable to do any laundry, since the water continues to back up.
    I'd prefer to use something environmentally friendly, and something that will prevent the sink from becoming clogged again.
    Would appreciate any suggestions.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by needanswers
    The sink in which the tubing from our washing machine is clogged.
    It has been for days. What can I use to unclog it. I've been unable to do any laundry, since the water continues to back up.
    I'd prefer to use something environmentally friendly, and something that will prevent the sink from becoming clogged again.
    Would appreciate any suggestions.

You will have to snake out the laundry sink roof vent. Rent a Ridgid K-50 or equivalent (see image). Drop the cable down to the base of the vent, start the machine and put out about 20 feet more. Test by filling and draining the sink. Good luck, Tom
    needanswers Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2006, 05:02 PM
    Tom,
    Thank you for making the time to respond to my "quandry".
    My husband is "pretty handy", and has snaked the drain, but to no avail.
    He has also tried baking soda and vinegar, followed by hot water.
    He is questioning why you are suggesting the roof vent, since the laundry sink is the only sink that is clogged. He's under impression, that other sinks would also be clogged if the "cause" of the "problem" were originated from the vent??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 14, 2006, 05:21 AM
    "He, (my husband) is questioning why you are suggesting the roof vent, since the laundry sink is the only sink that is clogged. He's under impression, that other sinks would also be clogged if the "cause" of the "problem" were originated from the vent???"
    That's because the "cause" of the problem didn't originate from the vent. The blockage is in the laundry sink drain line and the easiest way to get to it is from the roof vent. You could remove the "J" bend from the trap and go in through the stubout in the wall but the problem with going in that way is that once you hit the sanitary tee at the vent/drain pipe you never know if the snake will turn up or down. If it goes up then you're just spinning your wheels and nothing will get cleared. Every sink has its own trap and vent. All of your sinks aren't on the same vent or drain line. The roof vent is still the best place to snake out a drain line for two reasons. (1) It's the only sure way of reaching the blockage and (2) The snake will be black, dirty and greasy when you pull it out. Where would you rather deal with it? Inside your house or out of it? Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine draining into sink! [ 2 Answers ]

When I run my waher, the kitchen sink fills up with soapy water! It does not overflow but almost! My washer is obviously not draining correctly! Please help!

Washing machine draining into kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I know it may seem like this question has been covered a zillion times but here we go again... I live in a block of flats, only 10 storeys high and I live in the penthouse suite (NOT!) - on top floor basically. Just acquired a new Hoover VisionHD washing machine which has been...

Washing machine discharge goes into sink [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a raised ranch. The toilet and shower are backed up to the laundry room. The sink and the washer use the same discharge pipe. When the washer drains, the water backflows into the sink and out onto the bathroom floor. The plumber has been here twice and installed a vent in the pipe but it...

Washing Machine emptying out in the kitchen sink and bath tub [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a 96 year old house a few months ago. Every time the washing machine is emptying out water comes up in the kitchen sink and the bath tub with a strong sewage smell. The sink in the bathroom also has a strong sewage smell every time you run the water in it. There is a crawlspace...

Washing Machine backiong up into utility sink [ 6 Answers ]

:( Hi there! When we bought our house 3 years ago, I noticed that the sink would fill up with water when ever our washing machine drained... I just thought it was normal. :p But now I guess the clog has gotten so bad that yesterday when I did laundry the sink over flowed! :eek: The sink has...

View more questions Search