Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jul 13, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Christians and Blood
    Is there a prohibition against Christians eating blood?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2006, 11:01 AM
    What do you mean "eat blood"?

Would eating a rare steak count?
    -

Jul 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    What do you mean "eat blood"?

Would eating a rare steak count?
    To eat is to ingest. To ingest is to take into the body. Some say that there is a fine distinction between the two though and point out that eating involves
    Digestion while taking into the body, such as via blood transfusion is somehow different. So there definitely is a controversy as far as meaning. Rare steak if bleeding I think would probably come under such a prohibition.
    Jehovah's Witnesses understand it to mean taking into the body either via the mouth or via transfusion.

There is also a controversy concerning the prohibition's applicability to Christians by those who disagree. They claim that the law was done away with and with it the prohibition of ingesting blood.

Leviticus 17:10
    And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people.

Deuteronomy 12:23
    Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.

This is countered by stating that the law prohibiting ingestion of blood was given to mankind prior to the Mosaic law and therefore was not abolished.

Genesis 9:4
    But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

Its applicability to Christians is further buttressed by the reference to the following scripture found in the New Testament:

“to abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.” (Acts 15:19-21) NWT

The reason for avoiding the meat of strangled animals was because they had not been bled.

So those are more or less the viewpoints that are involved.

The controversy becomes more intense when blood transfusions are offered as treatment and the Witnesses refuse to use that medical alternative because they view it as a violation of God's law. So they request substitutes that work just as well or almost as well and sometimes even better.

But this offends those who hold a different viewpoint because they don't think that person should be willing to die in order to avoid the treatment whereas Jehovah's Witnesses are willing to die if necessary. But this willingness to die isn't restricted to ingestion of blood. It is a willingness to die in order to keep integrity reference to many other of God's commandments as well. That's why many were tortured to death in concentration camps in Hitler's Germany because the Witnesses refused to agree with his anti-Semitic Aryan supremacy ideology.

But it's willingness to die in reference to the blood issue that attracts the attention.

BTW
    Those who take umbrage with Jehovah's Witnesses willingness to die in order to stay faithful to God's laws as they understand them were and still are the very ones who are very willing to die for their country in order to stay faithful to it as citizens. Just a thought.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Jul 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Well, Starman, therein lies the differences of interpretation of scripture.

I can't say I know much about Jehovah Witnesses, but I'll comment on the blood question lightly.

Christians I know of don't restrict themselves to eating unleavened bread either. Another old Testament law.

Also now look at Matthew 15:10 -

Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him' unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

So if you are grouping "ingesting & infusing" as the same rule - I can't see the point of the restrictions.

Didn't God tell Peter in Acts to "kill and eat"?

But of course you have your right to interpret the scripture according to your beliefs.

I hope the differences are small enough not to matter in the great scheme of things in Christianity.
    -

Jul 13, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 31pumpkin
    Well, Starman, therein lies the differences of interpretation of scripture.

I can't say I know much about Jehovah Witnesses, but I'll comment on the blood question lightly.

Christians I know of don't restrict themselves to eating unleavened bread either. Another old Testament law.

Also now look at Matthew 15:10 -

Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him' unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

So if you are grouping "ingesting & infusing" as the same rule - I can't see the point of the restrictions.

Didn't God tell Peter in Acts to "kill and eat"?

But of course you have your right to interpret the scripture according to your beliefs.

I hope the differences are small enough not to matter in the great scheme of things in Christianity.
    Thanks for your response:

I posted the question bercause I referred someone to the JWs site and the then irrelevant issue of blood transfusions came up. Since that issue deserved a post of its own I provided it for those who feel they must express their opinions in reference to it. Also, to show that we don't need to divert threads from topics but can simply place the subject under a thread of its own.

About the blood issue, my concept of God's personality is one which perhaps doesn't quite mesh on some fine points with the majority of those who attend religious services who tend to see him as being humorless and dictatorial. In fact, I haven't attended a religious service for most of the past thirty years. But I have gained certain valuable insights which I consider representative of God's personality and which I try to share with others. Since it would be selfish to keep them to myself.

In short, I am not taking one side or the other on the blood issue but simply posting to see what the different opinions are. I always do learn something by listening. Thanks for the feedback.

BTW
    I don't officially represent the WTBTS or JWs religious views on this forum. So those familiar with the WTBTS will notice certain areas in which they might feel that I slightly diverge although I consider the divergeance a clarification but they might not. I also consider the JWS understanding of the Bible the most accurate.
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Jul 14, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Hi Starman

I notice that all your quotes come from the old testament and is where the Jews probably get their custom of eating only "kosher" food.

I could discuss this further but I'm fed up of posts my being pulled ;)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2006, 09:16 PM
    Yes there is. Blood contains life. We are told never to eat anything that still has blood in it.

There are certain religions that take a certain quote from the bible out of context meaning that they refuse blood tranfusions which I think is a load of ----.

The context is for food. Not for medical purposes. Which God created very smart people, doctors and scientists to help with life medical emergencies. So Excepting blood for life threatnening situations is perfectly good. Excepting meat with blood in it is not.

Joe
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2006, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonegy
    Hi Starman

I notice that all your quotes come from the old testament and is where the Jews probably get their custom of eating only "kosher" food.

I could discuss this further but I'm fed up of posts my being pulled ;)
    Good eye Jonegy!

So do you mean to tell me that if I eat a big, rare T-bone, I am committing a sin? Everyone that partakes in a rare steak is going to hell? Come on. Sorry, but I just can't hack them Matza balls! Carp in sour crème just isn't going to get it either. Cut off it's horns, hose it down a little and send it out here. Oh, a little A-1 please... makes the blood spicey! :eek:
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Jul 15, 2006, 02:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Good eye Jonegy!

So do you mean to tell me that if I eat a big, rare T-bone, I am commiting a sin? Everyone that partakes in a rare steak is going to hell? Come on. Sorry, but I just can't hack them Matza balls! Carp in sour creme just aint gonna get it either. Cut off it's horns, hose it down alittle and send it out here. Oh, a little A-1 please...makes the blood spicey! :eek:
    Bit off topic - but on that particular subject - I have about half of a "black pudding" (sausage made from blood fat and herbs) in the fridge atthis moment.;)
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2006, 03:05 AM
    Yes, many people partake in the event of rare steak or medium steak. I do believe it was meant as a safety issue as well, because lets face it. Many diseases and illnesses are passed through blood. Look at mad cow disease which caused lots of deaths in the past years.

Joe
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jul 15, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Yes, many people partake in the event of rare steak or medium steak. I do believe it was meant as a safety issue as well, because lets face it. Many diseases and illnesses are passed through blood. Look at mad cow disease which caused lots of deaths in the past years.

Joe
    Wanted to agree but got to spread it

I believe it was for cleanliness and health reasons. Half cooked turkey.. yuckkk
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 15, 2006, 07:43 AM
    Very well done please, or we send it back,
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Jul 15, 2006, 03:02 PM
    There seems not to be.

M:)
    -

Jul 16, 2006, 10:36 AM

Joe
    I agree with the health benefit reason but it isn't the primary reason why.
    Notice that both in Genesis and in the Mosaic law the reason eating blood is prohibited is because it is said to represent the life of the creature. In short, not eating the blood is an acknowledgement of God's ultimate authority over life itself.

Genesis 9:4
    But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

Leviticus 17:14
    For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.

Deuteronomy 12:23
    Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.

KJV

Bold emphasis mine.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Those scriptures just back up what I have said. The eating of blood is prohibited. Blood is what gives life. (it does not say anything about do not give blood, do not receive blood transfusions as it will help save your life.)

Joe
    -

Jul 16, 2006, 11:02 AM
    Those scriptures just back up what I have said. The eating of blood is prohibited. Blood is what gives life. (it does not say anything about do not give blood, do not recieve blood transfusions as it will help save your life.)

Joe
    If transfusions constituted the eating of blood, would you accept one?
    Expert

Jul 16, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    If transfusions constituted the eating of blood, would you accept one?
    I've had a few in my time and here I am. Not everyone puts a lot of weight on scriptures by ancient man.
    -

Jul 16, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    I've had a few in my time and here I am. Not everyone puts a lot of weight on scriptures by ancient man.
    1. I never said all tranfusions kill.
    2. I never said that everyone on earth puts faith in scripture. [ridiculously obvious!]
    3. I never mentioned that the scriptures I quoted should be adhered to because they are inspired.

The real mystery here is why you are reaching those conclusions.

BTW
    Whether scriptures are merely thoughts of ancient men or inspired is off-topic here. Perhaps you should set up a thread on that topic.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2006, 04:55 AM
    Your right not being a Christian I should not be on this thread. My apologies all.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Jul 17, 2006, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Your right not being a Christian I should not be on this thread. My apologies all.

Why not? Surely you have something to contribute? Don't let anyone chase you away. Some very fine non-Christians have excellent insights into Christianity.

M:)RGANITE

Those scriptures just back up what I have said. The eating of blood is prohibited. Blood is what gives life. (it does not say anything about do not give blood, do not recieve blood transfusions as it will help save your life.)

Joe

The eating of blood was prohibited in the Levitical Code, but apart from the dispute with Judaizing Christians it has never been an issue for Christianity. Enjoy your blood pudding. Try it sliced and fried!

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie
    Wanted to agree but gotta spread it

I believe it was for cleanliness and health reasons. half cooked turkey..yuckkk

Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis is not passed on through blood, and neither is Creusfeldt-Jacob's Disease. BSE and CJD are caused by a protein, not by an organism, and it is not bood borne but found in neural tissue. It is impossible to remove all the blood from muscle tissue, so even when an animal has been killed by a kosher or halal buitcher and even after soaking in brine, some blood remains. The only way to ensure that you ingest NO blood is to not eat meat at all.

The sacrificial and atoning death of Jesus Christ stopped sacrifice by the shedding of blood, and henceforth the ban on eating blood and blood products was lifted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why some Christians will not recognize Cathoics? [ 26 Answers ]

I am not a Christian nor a Catholic but many of my relatives are devout Christians. One is even a minister. Anyway, when I think of a Christian, it includes Catholics and Orthodox Christians, etc.. However, one of my devout "Christian" relatives insisted that Catholic is not a Christian. He...

How should Christians worship God? [ 23 Answers ]

Do you view Christian worship as an activity only for Sunday and maybe a few special holidays? Perhaps as a formal set of actions and prayers repeated during a service in your house of worship? It's interesting that the Bible does not give a strict definition of worship. Although many view it...

The blood shed & the blood sprinkled! [ 4 Answers ]

THE BLOOD SHED & THE BLOOD SPRINKLED In the Old Testament and the New Testament sacrificial "Blood" is spoken of in two ways;i.e. "The Blood shed and the Blood sprinkled." IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHAT WAS THE APPLICATION OF "SHED BLOOD" RE "ATONEMENT" (the 'moment the Blood became...

View more questions Search