Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pearson2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Troubleshooting 4 flashing lights - open high temperature limit switch
    Thanks for your input. I finally was able to reverse the wiring and got it squared away. While I was in the attic I thought I would replace the motor which drives the fly wheel. I thought I was a hero till I put everything together and discover 4 flashing lights. The lights indicate "open high temperature limit switch." Can you help?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 07:22 PM

The limit switch will probably have to be reset by pushing in on the button in the middle of the limit switch. The switch may be on the blower houseing or the front of the furnace, look for red wires to a small round device. Good luck ,Mike

Dec 18, 2008, 07:26 PM

Thank you Mike... I am on my way to the attic.

Dec 18, 2008, 07:45 PM

I checked and couldn't find anything related to your description. I check the blower and tried to identify the limit switch and couldn't and I did find 2 small circular "things" with small red buttons but neither pushed in. I tried following the red wire and it lead to a harness which is connected to the ignition control board.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 07:58 PM

You had reverse polarity before, right? Maybe correcting that has advanced you to this code... check module wiring vs. diagram. Pay attention to limit circuit connections.

Dec 21, 2008, 07:36 PM

Hello, it is an extremely cold night. However, I was able to get my system for function to it's potential. The limit switch(s) were tough to find but after diggin in I found two switches and these switches are on the top and bottom of the blower. You will see two wires; a yellow and red one. You have to look really close because the reset button is between the leads where you connect the yellow and red wires. You should use a screw driver because it was tough to push down. Thanks to everyone who helped.
    Blooma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 05:47 PM
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH! These tips allowed me to repair my "high limit switch" with ease. You're right... it's a very small reset button connected to a red and yellow wire.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 05:52 PM
    You treated the symptom... what was the cause? Check your air filter; replace if clogged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temperature limit switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Trane XR80 furnace, with a self-check flash code system (flashing red light). The furnace has been blowing cold air when turned on, and not heating up. The red light flashes 4 times, indicating that we have an "open Temperature Limit circuit". I believe that this means that our...

Trane xe 80 open high temperature limit switch [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace is about 13 years old... we just replaced the ignighter in it last night because it was running through all the steps to run except ignighting. It fired right up and ran for about 7-8 hours... now it won't ignite at all (it is running through all the steps it needs to except for...

Fan limit switch temperature settings [ 2 Answers ]

What are the normal temperature settings for the fan limit switch on the a/c+gas heater blower unit?

High limit open [ 1 Answers ]

We have an Ultra V Tech 80 furnace. Cold air is coming out and the ignitors are not lit. Light is blinking 4 times which means high limit open. Where is this at? What needs to be done?

What are the temperature settings for a fan limit switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 30+ year old forced air furnace. Currently, when the thermostat is turned up to call for more heat, the burners ignite normally. When the heat exchanger-HE- gets to temperature (which seems to take a long time) the fan switches on normally. HERE'S WHRE THE PROBLEM STARTS The fan...

View more questions Search