Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pegs Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Brown discharge and no period?
    :confused: Hey, I was hoping someone could help me.
    It's about my period, or should I say my non-existent period. My last period was in May about 7 weeks ago (from the last day) and I'm about 3 weeks late. I've been late before, but this time it's different. A few days ago I thought I had gotten my period because when I went to the restroom I found very faint pinkish almost orange blood. (which is unusual for me) I thought it was my period. But later when I went to use the restroom I had found that it had stopped. The next day I went to the restroom, I found that I was having a very light brown discharge. It's been a cupple days now and still I'm having this same light brown discharge. But it's not enough to wear a pad or even a liner. I've also been having some stomach pains and sickness for the past 4 or 5 weeks. I am sexually active but we use protection. So what are some things that could cause this? Please help!
    Thanks,
    -Pegs-
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 13, 2006, 09:35 AM
    You say you are sexually active and you use protection. I cannot give an accurate answer unless I know what kind of protection you are using. For instance, some people think that the withdraw method is protection, it isn't.

Certain kinds of "protection" can cause certain kinds of problems, so, to be sure, I need to know what kind.

This could be normal considering certain birth control methods, or could be something mildly serious.

Jul 13, 2006, 09:47 AM
    I don't use protection, but he uses condums. (anyone who thinks withdraw could actually work is STUPID!) He said none of them have broken or anything like that, but if it was a pin sized hole he wouldn't notice would he? But I don't know? But if I did know I wouldn't be here now would I? Lol
    Expert

Jul 13, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Well I agree with stupid and withdraw, but you would be surprised how many people think it works.

Secondly, as far as condoms go, in my human sexuality class we all had to bring in a box of condoms and fill them all with water, there were 26 in our class and we all brought a box of 12, so do the math.

You would be surprised mow many actually DID NOT have pin sized holes in them. No you do not notice a pin size hole unless you fill it with water and watch it leak.

There is a slight risk that you could be pregnant, but you also do not mention your age, which could be a factor as well.

I suggest you check with your doctor about these symptoms to rule out pregnancy or any other possible problems that may be occurring.

Jul 13, 2006, 11:35 AM
    I don't have a doctor. I know I should but I don't have money for it. I'm turning 18 next month. I've had my period for about 4 years, and I have noticed that I do skip under stress or if I haven't been eating right/enough. But I haven't been stressed out (actually just the opposite) and I've been eating better then I have in a while. So the normal things that have made me skip in the past don't seem to me to be a cause. And I have'nt skipped in almost a year. My period was quite regular in fact. And I have only gotten pms cramps once, so when I got these pains right before I was supposed to get my period (which didn't come) I thought maybe it was cramps. But it hasn't really stopped since, it's not as bad as it was and it just feels like a stomich ache, and it's only after I eat lunch for the most part. And I get headaches along with the stomach aches. After a while I just feel like curling up in a little ball and going to sleep in a corner somewhere! Lol So I don't know what it is but it's new to me. I wasn't really that concerned till a few days ago when I started getting the brown discharge. Do you have any ideas of what it could be? I just want an idea of what I should be looking for. Then if it gets worse I'll find some means of medical help!
    Thanks,
    -Pegs-
    Expert

Jul 13, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Well, I cannot diagnose, by law even in person. Over the internet is harder still especially without a face-to-face lengthy history & physical.

So... what I am going to suggest is only that a suggestion, if you see in my signature I am not licensed in any area at the moment. So what I am telling you comes only from experience and what schooling I have had so far.

You may have an infection, whether it be a virus or a sexually transmitted one I cannot tell. But from your symptoms I believe it is important you get to a doctor as soon as possible.

I am not sure where you are, but if you are in the states there are doctors that take patients on a sliding scale fee, that means they take only what you can afford.

If you are sexually active it is IMPERATIVE that you have a yearly physical exam to make sure that your female organs stay healthy.

We could be talking about something as mild as simply a missed period (which does happen like this) or something as serious as a ovarian cyst or STD. So, you see why it is important to get this checked out.

You may be able to go to a local clinic or health department, some hospitals that are not privately funded will also treat you. These hospitals depend on private donations rather than sending a bill to someone who cannot pay.

Jul 13, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Well thank you for your advice! You have been most helpful. (: About the STD or STI, he was my first (and only) and he was tested right before we were first "together" so I doubt that it's a STD/I. His sister had a ovarian cyst and he was worried because he said that is where her pain was when it first started bothering her. So I will take your advice and get checked out as soon as possible! Oh one more thing, since I did miss (so far one) period, do you think I should take a home pg test?
    Thanks,
    -Pegs-
    Expert

Jul 13, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Good, I am glad he got tested. Not to be rude, but are you sure, were you there? Or did he just tell you?

That only comes out of my experience with men. So nothing against you or him, just food for thought.

He may be right about the ovarian cyst, which is even more important about why you need to see a doctor, they can be excruciating if the burst, not to mention life threatening. But if you just started with these symptoms, it probably is not that bad.

Home pregnancy test? Yes, it may be a good idea. Now it is important that you do it first thing in the morning.

You have to do it first thing in the morning because that is when the pregnancy hormone called hCG is in the highest concentration in your urine.

I do have to say that you are doing great by making sure you are protected. Good job and keep up the good work there. I am also glad to hear that he was your first, at your age a lot of gals are not like you.

Keep me posted as to what you find out, or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to post again.
    luvislife Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 08:39 AM
    I technically have the same thing... I haven't had my period but just last month I started using birth control... I have been sexually active & have used the withdraw methed & I know it doesn't work but I am on the pill so it won't really do anything will it... anyway it is really creaping me out so if anyone could help me then great

THANKS
    mcortez23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 04:37 PM
    I am by no means a doctor but my best advice to you is to set up an appt with your doctor ASAP. The brown discharge may be due to infection, std's, a missed period, or something known as "Implantation Bleeding"--which was the case with me. I got a very light, brown discharge almost at the time my period was due and I almost confused it with a period except it only lasted a couple of mornings. I went to the doctor immediately because at the time my husband and I were trying to conceive. After an ultrasound was performed we were told we were 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and that it had been implantation bleeding. So, again, talk to your doctor or try taking a home pregnancy test as it may be a possibility as you used the withdrawl method (not very effective if at all). Good luck and let me know what happens. Take care.
    luvislife Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 06:21 PM
    i went 2 the doctors & im not pregnant & i am due for my PAP test next month

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brown discharge - what is going on now? - please help [ 4 Answers ]

I have been off the pill since Aug last year. In November my period was a week late but nothing came of it just lots of stress. I Know I have been really anxious because my friends who weren't even trying are now pregnant. I have been under a lot of stress because we have just bought a house & the...

Brown Discharge [ 3 Answers ]

We are trying to conceive, have been for the last 7 months. I usually have a 28-30 day cycle, this month 13 days after my period I started to have a dark brown discharge with small to medium size clots, no cramping. It continued for 6 days. Should I be concerned? Is this break through bleeding? And...

Brown discharge instead of bleeding during period [ 6 Answers ]

I was suppose to start my period like a week ago but instead it has been brown discharge. Sometimes there will be a little blood but for the most part its brown discharge. What is going on and what can I do to help it?

Brown discharge after period [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.I using birth control pills for 8months,I went for smear test was normal but I had vaginal infection,I used cream that doctor gave it to me for 2weeks each night lastmonth.but this month,I see during my ovulation I had brown discharge,I scared of infection again but I can say I'm so excited...

Brown Discharge? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been having brown discharge or spotting for a few weeks now. I have taken a pregnancy test twice and both times negative. I am on the pill as well. What could it be?

View more questions Search