Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattieo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2006, 07:30 AM
    How to change wiring on phone jack for DSL
    Hi, I need help! I have only one phone jack in room with computer. It is a separate line and number different from my home phone. I am getting DSL and will no longer need this separate number. When I cancel this number for cpu that line will be dead(I Think). I ordered my DSL on my regular phone line. How can I make this jack work with my reg phone line #? Any help with a solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated. I don't seem to get a straight answer from the phone company as to a way to solve this problem.

Thank you , Mattie
    Here_To_Help- Jon Posts: 97, Reputation: 26

Jul 13, 2006, 10:51 AM
    I think the days and skills for playing around with wiring in phone jacks are over. For the $$ you may have to pay the phone company to deal with this, you can buy a 2 handset wireless phone - put the base station in the old phone jack and the other handset in your computer area.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2006, 10:58 AM
    I'd also go with Jon's suggestion. You'd have to know where your demarc is, whether the telco owns the junction box where your home wiring emanates from. Then it's a matter of finding which wire belongs to your second line. If your not familiar with teclo wiring then I'd leave it alone and go the wireless route.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 05:40 AM
    If you know where phone box outside is. You just need to remove 2 wires from terminals,
    And hook up to other 2 terminals.
    What colors are in outside box? Red, green, yellow, black, or white/blue and white/orange pair?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to rewire a phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help. This house had at one time two different phone lines. We now have only one phone line working. I need to find out how to rewire one of the jacks that was hooked up to the other number. The phone company is going to charge us $120 to come out and do this, but they tell me that...

Rj 31X phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought aRJ 31X phone jack which is supposed to allow my father in laws life line system to dial out even if his phone is off the hook. I need help hooking this into the existing phone line.

Rewiring a phone jack [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know how to rewire a phone jack? It's in my den but it's a different line/number than the one I use in the rest of the house. I want to put my computer/DSL/fax/answering machine in that room without running an extension phone cord across the floor and down the hallway. The phone...

Phone jack wiring [ 7 Answers ]

How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?

Rewiring a phone jack [ 2 Answers ]

I wired our phone lines 10 years ago so that I could have 2 phone lines. Now I am having a third line added. How do I rewire an existing phone line for the third line. I just want to replace an existing fax/computer line with a dedicated computer line. I only need to do the one outlet next to...

View more questions Search