Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Wildlife destroying yard
    My yard is backed by a wildlife preserve. We have all sorts of visitors to our yard including a 500+ pound wild pig.

She only comes out at night so we aren't particularly concerned about her - other than she keeps destroying our yard. We keep laying sod and she keeps rooting it up. We're trying to sell the house and having large patches of destroyed grass doesn't look good.

My question - can I kill her? I am certainly open to other suggestions.

We live in central Florida, Brevard County.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 18, 2008, 08:52 AM

Lol.. can I kill her! Sorry that was just funny :)
    My GUESS would be that being that it's a preserve.. no

But here's an idea. You can buy cheap motion detector alarms. They are loud and annoying. Place a few of the around the edge of the yard. It should scare the hell out of the pig... pigs are smart, so I think after a few times it might not come back.

You just need something to scare it away...
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 18, 2008, 10:04 AM

I bet it would too! LOL

Better make sure you can discharge firearms in your area first :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 10:22 AM

Electric field fence like they use for cows and pigs on farms
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Hello steve:

She's only under a protective order while she's in the preserve. If she's on YOUR property, she's toast. Or, should I say ham?

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 11:57 AM

Perhaps our first annual askmehelpdesk BBQ
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2008, 04:54 PM

Would suggest you contact the Florida Fish and Game and ask them about the animal off the preserve. My son was a Wildlife Assistant in Florida years ago and he did say that some of the laws were going to be changed down there. Best to check this out before you get a very large fine and possible poaching fine and possible jail time. If you are caught poaching your weapon would be immediately confiscated forever.

You did move next to a preserve. Just because the wild pig ruins your yard is not a good enough reason to destroy it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    My yard is backed by a wildlife preserve. We have all sorts of visitors to our yard including a 500+ pound wild pig.

she only comes out at night so we arent particularly concerned about her - other than she keeps destroying our yard. We keep laying sod and she keeps rooting it up. We're trying to sell the house and having large patches of destroyed grass doesnt look good.

My question - can I kill her? I am certainly open to other suggestions.

We live in central Florida, Brevard County.

Which was there first? You (they built a preserve behind you) or the preserve?
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Which was there first? You (they built a preserve behind you) or the preserve?
    They were.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 03:50 PM
    They were.

Then I think legally the pig is allowed to shoot you but not the other way around.

Just an opinion, of course - :D

I have neighbors I'd gladly trade for the pig. I'll let you know if I can get them on the plane and you let me know if the pig wants to make the trip.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Then I think legally the pig is allowed to shoot you but not the other way around.

Just an opinion, of course - :D

I have neighbors I'd gladly trade for the pig. I'll let you know if I can get them on the plane and you let me know if the pig wants to make the trip.
    If they don't dig up the sod in my yard...

Plus, I was here first so I could shoot them. :-D
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 04:24 PM
    if they dont dig up the sod in my yard...

Plus, I was here first so I could shoot them. :-D

I'm on my way to talk to them - discuss this with the pig.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 05:10 PM
    I'm on my way to talk to them - discuss this with the pig.
    Pig is saying something about contract riders and provisions. She is really being a prima donna. She was yelling something about a frog named Hermit or something when she stomped out...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 05:51 PM

Call Florida Fish and Wildlife for your answer.

Don't shoot Ms. Piggy or Kermit the Frog will definitely get upset.

More than likely the pig wins if I know Florida.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WildLife Management [ 4 Answers ]

First off. I'm no little kid so don't assume please and thank you. (its happened before lol) I'm currently taking a wildlife and forestry conservation course and I've read over my PDF file four times now on upland birds. My exam is Tomorrow and the only things I can't find answers to are ...

Wildlife and forestry conservation [ 2 Answers ]

I've been seriously considering getting into wildlife and forestry conservation. What I was wondering was. What kind of money do they make and is there a large need for them. Wildlife officers in my area are so depressing. They ship them over from the other side of the provence because we don't...

I Am destroying my relationship [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and I are married 5 years. In the beginning, she adored me, and I her. But, as I become stressed with a lot of work, the realities of married life, my step-son's teenage difficulties, and new baby, I found that I snapped a lot at her, became angry at small matters. How can I go about...

Best Digital SLR for Nature & Wildlife Photography? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Ok, maybe not the very best, but I am trying very hard to decide between the Nikon D80 and the Canon 400D (XTi). I've ready many reviews, some lean towards Nikon, others towards Canon. Is one of these better (better image quality, colors, etc) for nature and wildlife photography? I would...

Destroying CD-ROMs [ 7 Answers ]

I have been going through all my ROMs trying to get all the stuff onto one or two disks and deleting multiple files that I have accuired. I have a pile of ROMs that I have all the stuff off that I want but don't have a shredder that is capabale of destroying them. Is there another way to destroy a...

View more questions Search