Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 18, 2008, 02:48 AM
    Fear of talking to people
    I can talk to my family and friends just great. Problem comes to dealing with strangers in relation to business.
    I will practice to myself what I want to say but when the time comes to approach them, I end up saying something totally different and stupid and end up not getting what I was hoping for. I find it easier to write letters or email to these people because I can say what's exactly on my mind and not be afraid, but I can't use those options all the time.

Advice anyone?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 04:17 AM
    Sounds like social anxiety and there's plenty of tips for it a Google away. Just take a deep breath and relax. Will yourself to breathe and relax. Structured techniques such as meditation may also help. I like to imagine the other person drunk, on their knees, and puking into the toilet. ;) They are not so intimidating then which helps the mind focus less on monitoring the mechanics of the interaction and analyzing the other person's responses and more on listening and constructing your end of the conversation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 11:52 AM

Any way you can find out about these folks in advance? If not then, when meeting face to face for the first time take a minute to relax around them, such as ask them a personal question, or pay a compliment, anything to interact as a person, and see them as another person, just like you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 12:42 PM

Practice, speaking clubs, or just practice things, go buy something at walmart, go back the next day to get a refund, do it without a receipt where it is harder the next week.

Take some sales classes in dealing with people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get people to stop talking about me? [ 5 Answers ]

Well I'm a sophomore in high school and I just moved to a different school away from all of my old friends. I have a lot of new friends but not as many as I used to have and I don't really know that many people at my school. Well anyway some of the girls at my school just don't like me for some...

Fear to face people at seminor times [ 2 Answers ]

Today I host a seminar session in my college, I don't no why I'm getting scared, even if I prepared well, when I am standing in front of lecturers and pupils I forgeted all the heighlighting points in my topic,surelly I will get zero in that session, I don't why its happening to me?yesterday fully...

Fear of talking to rents and docs [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 16 yr old male, I live in a somewhat normal household, but am afraid to talk about how I'm feeling to my parents and even a doctor. From the middle of February to the end of May, I was sick of life, I felt hopeless, like nothing mattered, I felt empty, and felt as though no one truly liked...

People talking about dying on line [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a place where people talk to other people on line about there partners dying.

View more questions Search