Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Keepugesin Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Puppy won't eat
    I have a 13 week old Dachshund and Monday she started acting like she wasn't feeling well, by this morning she hadn't eaten or drank anything so I took her to the vet. They put 150cc's of fluid subcutaneously and gave her a shot of antibiotic, the thought was she may have a bladder infection because when she pee's she squats three times, like she still has the urge. I brought her home tonight and made some chicken and rice for her, she just turns her nose up at it, yesterday she would eat a couple treats but nothing today. I'm worried as to what could be going on with her. I'm thinking about taking her back to the vet tomorrow morning and having them force feed her, but then I'm worried she may have something in her tummy that she ingested, anyone been through anything like this? :(
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 13, 2006, 06:42 AM
    I have never had a dog ingest something that causes a blockage, but I would take your do back or even to another veterinarian and ask for an ultrasound or an X-ray. If you said, the dog is squatting and not really producing anything your dog could have a crystal or a kidney stone. Which are both easily treated.

Try researching on Peteducation.com It should be most helpful, (O:

Jul 13, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Thank you for your reply, I'm taking her back to the vet this morning, she is not vomiting :(

Jul 13, 2006, 07:14 AM
    That should read now vomiting

Jul 13, 2006, 09:04 AM
    Please keep me posted on the out come. (O:

Jul 16, 2006, 05:11 PM
    Well, unfortunately, Bella died on Thursday July 13th. I took her back to the vet as I said I was going to and they called me at 11:30 to tell me that they had bad news, she tested a "slight positive" for parvo and while they were trying to start an IV she cried out twice and went into cardiac arrest. So she is now gone. If anyone suspects anything about their puppies, take them to a vet immediately, you never know when it may be parvo and that's such a nasty, fast killing disease. Thanks for your replies and concern, I haven't been this devistated about anything in so long, and the scariest thing is we have another puppy we purchased at the same time as Bella, so she would have a playmate, now I feel as though I'm trying to dodge a bullet that I'm not sure if it's going to hit us or not, so far Puggers hasn't displayed any symptoms, but the minute she has a loose stool or sleeps too long, I'm freaking out, I can't lose both of them, then I would be back to square one with no puppies and a huge dent in my savings account, all for not. And the worst thing is I can never have another puppy in this house that we just bought three months ago, and my dream has always been to own a dachshund... all trashed, it's more than missing her, it's the realization that all the things I planned and dreamed of doing with her are all gone, and I can't redo it with another pup... life sucks...

Jul 17, 2006, 11:27 AM
    I am so sorry to hear your news, with all the bad aside, say here and answer questions in pets, for you would be one of the few people that could speak from your heart, Again my heart goes out to you.

Jul 17, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Thank you for your kind words. I will be frequenting these boards and helping anyone I see that looks like their dog has the slighest possibility of having parvo, God forbid anyone have to go through this, it's such a terrible feeling, everyone says it gets better with time, I just keep wishing days would speed by... this was the first animal I'd ever lost. These boards are a big help to so many, and anything I can share I will do so gladly.
    NancyMetz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
    I had the same thing happen to my new puppy this past weekend. :-(
    I came online searching for some sort of answers/closure to what happened, and I found your post about your Bella.

Here's where it gets eerie...

My little pup was also named Bella. She was a 10 week old beagle, and we rescued her from a puppy farm with her older brother, Basil.
    Bella came to us tiny and weak. She was the runt of the litter, and when we got her she was just over 2 pounds.

Her first day with us went perfectly. They played together in the yard with us, they ate like fiends and they made us fall 100% in love with them in an instant. The next day, Bella was listless and tired. (We though maybe jet-lag, since the rescue flew them to us from the east coast and we're in California.) She ate, but not much. And she only pooped once -- it was runny, but as a 1st time puppy owner, I didn't know this was a major sign.

I took her to the vet the next morning, and they tested her for Parvo & giardia (which they said came up negative on both counts), and they gave her chicken and rice mixed with baby food and she ate it all. So, they thought she was just having some difficulties adjusting, and sent her home with us.

The next day, she wasn't any better, so we took her back to the vet. They fed her with an IV and a stomach tube, they gave her antibiotics. They had her all day, but since they were not an overnight care facility, they gave her back to us to take home for the night with instructions to bring her right back in the morning to continue treatment.

That night she seemed MUCH better. She ate, she played, she peed. We thought that we had turned a corner.

The next morning, we brought her back as instructed, thinking the worst was over. Well, the worst hadn't even happened yet. Within 30 minutes of dropping her off, we got a call from the vet. She had gone into cardiac arrest, and they couldn't save her.

I feel like Keepugesin's email could have literally been written by myself. The pain is unreal.

Please please please... if you're reading this because you don't know why your puppy is not eating, or is sleeping too much, or hasn't peed or pooped... get to the vet ASAP! Ask for tests for Parvo, Coccidia, Giardia, and worms. If possible, get a 2nd opinion.
    If this lesson -- that I had to learn the hard way -- can help save even one little life, then I will feel better knowing my little Bella would not have died for no reason.
    amandag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 04:15 PM
    I'm so hurt because my dog Bella died this morning... she was a 2pound zu... when she was dropped feb14,2010 off she seemed a little afraid and lingered around the delivrey woman and wagges her tail just a little bit.delivery woman said she was happy.. took this as an OK sign.one delivery woman left things when down hill.I attempted to feed bella that night but she wudnt eat... however drank a lot of pedelyte and water. I was told as long as she is drinking she is OK.she was not social at all.upon waking up in the morning I gave her the supplement that I was told to give her twice a day through syringe... and 2ml of the activia which I was also advised to give her from the beginning... 2 hours later she threwup... I called breeder and she said she is"starving".and to give her more activia,and pepto bismo... I did.continued doing this through out day.bella didn't get better... took her to the vet this morning... he said her blood sugar was unusually low... her temp was 100.thhe attempted to help her withdex... they said she was very weak... next tie I looked up doctor came in and said she died and went into cardiac arest... im so crushed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I have an eight week old dachshund puppy that I've had for three days. This moring I noticed a very small amount of blood in her stool that she passed at the very end. How serious is this? Thank you, Kelly

Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

We have took in a stray puppy so we do not know all of her habits, we took her to the Vet right away because she had ticks & flea all over her when she wondered into my husbands work. The vet gave her shots, and said she is about 8 weeks old. My questions her skin is very hot to the touch on her...

New puppy! [ 6 Answers ]

So, my husband and I got a new puppy. He's a Basset Hound, and he's five months old. Annie (our 10 month old lab) is having a lot of fun with him. We bought him from a pet store. We've been trying to find a new dog at the shelter, but we've never been able to find the 'right' one. I feel like...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

New Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old dog (scrappy) a kitten (tuxeda) and a cat (amber) and I just got a new 3 month old shepherd mix (kaden). Scrappy gets along fine with Kaden but my cats won't come downstairs how can I get them used to the new addition to the family? Its only been 2 days so maybe they just need time...

View more questions Search