Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindat6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Unable to open attachments
    What do I need to do to be able to open attachments or files in my computer when I receive the following message: Adobe Reader could not open "..." because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged...

I was told by AOL help that Adobe didn't open zip files, but that is not the only kind of files that I am unable to open.

Thanks, Linda
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 10:15 PM

Mmm to change the program, find one and right click and say Open with, then Choose Program. The default program will be highlighted. You can have all of a certain filetype opened by a particular program by default.

You can use "Open With" to select a temporary change for that one program.

The program chosen must be able to open that extension. Acrobat likes to open .PDF files and a few others.

.ZIP files can get you in trouble if your not careful. They are executeable and ones that are not a zip file can install stuff that you don't want.

ZIP is an odd file format. It's integrated into windows too and sometimes looks like a directory when you click it. It's a special case.

The 3 character extension is mapped to a default program. That map can be changed.

Let's not use ZIP and explain what happens.
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

Dec 17, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Do you have Windows XP? If so you might try downloading the
    Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. It opens many types of file extensions,
    Both graphics and print. I wouldn't know how it works with MACs
    And I've read that it's not installed with Windows VISTA.

If you have any word processing software that you've installed
    On your computer, have you tried right-clicking the attachment (other
    Than zipped) and selecting "Open With?" I'm referring to software
    Such as the Microsoft Office Suite. You could then open it with
    "Word" or the "Picture Manager." There's info about the Picture & Fax
    viewer at this link: Download Picture Viewer (free)
    lindat6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 02:17 AM
    Thanks very much KISS and Couchcarrot! You have no idea how long I have forwarded my email to gmail in order to open things in HTML! It never occurred to me to right click. I just finished running labels for cards that I couldn't open last Xmas and had to hand write. I feel oh so stupid not to try to get an answer way before now!
    Linda

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook 2003 can't open attachments [ 2 Answers ]

After having downloaded a Google Taskbar attachment (which came with more than I was aware of) my Outlook will not open the attachments with the folder. Other attachments, Word etc. it will open fine. I have tried everything that I & my colleagues can think of. HELP PLEASE!!

Outlook 2007 won't open attachments [ 4 Answers ]

I work in an I.T. department and one of our users has recently installed Outlook 2007. Whenever he gets an attachment such as a Word document, when he clicks on it to open it, it opens Word, but there is no document. It's just a gray screen. Anyone know why it is doing this? It will open in his...

Hotmail - Can't open attachments w/error message [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to send a simple email with a word document attached, but the person I sent it to said they couldn't open the file. So, I tried to send it to myself and I keep getting an error message which says 'the file ___.doc could not be scanned for viruses due to an internal error' & also...

Unable to forward email attachments [ 4 Answers ]

I have Microsoft Windows XP, home edition, version 2002, service pack 2 When I receive a email and want to forward it with attachments; the receiver receives the email but there are NO attachments. Can you help?

Unable to read file header message when attempting to open jpeg attachments [ 7 Answers ]

I have been unable to open jpeg files that are attached to email for several days! I have tried both Thunderird and Outlook Express and have disabled the block on attachments. No luck! The problem seemed to start when I attempted to load WinFax Pro and had an incomplete installation then when...

View more questions Search