Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ty2118 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 07:39 PM
    My dog has hookworm and it won't go away
    My dog has been dewormed 5 times with strongid, and now he is on his sixth with a new medicine and he still has hookworm. He has also had diarrhea for about a month now. He has also taken anti-diarrheal medication and still has diarrhea. Nothing seems to be working. Otherwise, he acts fine, loves to play and eat. Hes just not gaining a lot of weight. He is a 5 month old golden retriever and he weighs 28 pounds. I would like to know what is wrong with him. If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing I would really appreciate the help. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 13, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Hello, have you taken him to a vet? I do know you should switch wormers as using the same wormer each time is not effective. Did you buy the wormers off the shelf? Some time if you are not careful they are not expired, and will not work effectively as the treatment from a veterinarian’s office.

Try researching you wormers on Peteducation.com you will find it most helpful. (O:
    Kimberlysue Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Definitely take him to a Vet. Wormers from the store are often ineffective. Hookworm stays in the environment for years. Your dog will need to be on a long term preventative such as Sentinel to keep him from continually being reinfested. Please do not give up because hookworm can make dogs very sick and I believe can even be deadly in the worst case.
    admartin Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Jul 26, 2006, 11:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ty2118
    my dog has been dewormed 5 times with strongid, and now he is on his sixth with a new medicine and he still has hookworm. he has also had diarrhea for about a month now. he has also taken anti-diarrheal medication and still has diarrhea. Nothing seems to be working. Otherwise, he acts fine, loves to play and eat. Hes just not gaining alot of weight. He is a 5 month old golden retriever and he weighs 28 pounds. I would like to know what is wrong with him. If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing i would really appreciate the help. let me know if you need any more information. thanks.
    There is a wormer called safeguard it is for horses but you can worm dogs with it and it is wonderful. I have three dogs and that is all I use only use a dab of it and it will get rid of the hookworm I promise and it is also good for heartworm prevention to that is all I use and my friends use it on their dogs to.
    admartin Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Jul 26, 2006, 11:33 PM
    I would go buy safeguard wormer it is for horses but it works miracles for dogs I have a german shepard and we tried everything and my vet suggested that I try that wormer and it worked she has been worm free for two years but you only use a very small amount of it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't eat [ 102 Answers ]

I have a German Sheperd that just won't eat!! We have tried dry food and meat but he just won't take it! If you have any ideas of how to fix this please let me know. Ill Try anything. Thanks heaps, dog_lover

Dog that won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old Beagle who has cancer and has refused to eat ANYTHING in almost a week now. I have taken him to the vet for shots and steroids (supposedly to get his appetite going) and nothing has worked. Please help

My dog won't eat... Please help [ 6 Answers ]

My dog Rex hasn't ate in three days. I took him to the vet today she said he has a slight infection. She gave me meds to give him but if he doesn't eat anything not even ice cream how am I supposed to give him his meds... PLEASE HELP... does anyone have any suggestions...

Dog won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem (as here) but worse. My pomeranian pups (3 pups healthy and eats on their own) 2 pups barely drinks water and nothing else. I feed a great fornula of milk(evap), yogurt, mayo, water and vitacal. But I seringe the formula in mouth every 3 hours. If I go longer than 6 hour...

View more questions Search