Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baughpd Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 07:24 PM
    Replacement Value
    My Insurance Company says that the replacement cost of my house is about three times the market value. They say I must insure it for 80% of what they say is the replacement cost or they will not completely pay for partial damage.

How can I prove to them that their replacement cost is not correct?
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jul 13, 2006, 02:25 AM
    Get quotes from other companies for a start.

Check estate agents for similar sized/location properties.

There is always an excess that insurance companies don't pay. For example in my case it is the first 100 GBP in any one claim.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2006, 06:29 AM
    Something sounds fishy here. The market value of a home includes a number of factors; the land, location, and building costs. Replacement value only includes building costs and the replacement of furnishings.

I would say its just about impossible for replacement costs to exceed market value let alone be 3x it.

Yes, go to a couple of local builders and ask them what it would cost to build a home comparable to yours (sq footage, # of rooms, # of floors). Then do a home inventory of all your furniture, appliances, clothing, etc. Include estimated costs to replace those items. (You should have such an inventory for insurance purposes anyway).

Then take that to your insurance company. While you are at it get quotes from other insurers as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement lighter [ 2 Answers ]

Need help replacing a lighter for a 91 bronco

Replacement windows? [ 3 Answers ]

I have hired a handy man to replace windows in my house. I have a feeling that he mis represented himself and his experience as he does not seem to really know what he's doing. Three of the windows are in and the patio door is tomorrow. My biggest concern is our big front window. It has been...

Faucet Replacement [ 7 Answers ]

My bathtub has a two handle hot/cold with a diverter for the shower/tub faucet. Water was coming out of the handles so I bought a kit to replace it. I couldn't tell what type of faucet that I currently had so I bought the kit that closely resembled the handles. After installing the kit, I...

Boiler replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Chicago in a 2300 sq ft ranch. The home was built in 1955, and has the original boiler, which was converted from oil to natural gas. Although the boiler is working fine, I wonder about replacing it as the cost of natural gas keeps going up. The efficiency of the new boilers must be far...

Tub Replacement [ 10 Answers ]

Attached picture. I have gutted the bathroom and am installing an enameled steel tub on a slab(the original was cast iron). I test fitted the tub and drain assembly. The tub fits fine but the waste shoe for the drain hole is about an inch too low (the new tub bottom is higher than the old...

View more questions Search