Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Some_Handyman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Ceiling Fan - Motor Start Capacitor
    I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan whose motor fails to self-start. The fan has three speeds. All three speeds work fine if I hand spin the blades, starting at low speed of course. The fan has a remote unit. Once I hand start the fan the remote allows me to change speeds up and down and turn off the fan. I understand that the motor capacitors are in a black module in the receiver unit of the fan. I am trying to figure out if there is a starting capacitor for the motor or is this module the capacitor that I need to replace to get the fan to self-start?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Sometimes fans have a bunch of capacitors in the same case with many wires coming out, and you have to replace them as a whole. This is actually referred to as one capacitor with 3 or more wires.

It's a Hampton Bay fan, though, so I would just take it back to Home Depot.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2006, 11:15 AM
    Not at all, just look at these forums. Even though they have one or two designs I like I would NEVER buy one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower motor or capacitor? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. Yesterday the blower motor for my central air did not initially come on when tripped by the thermostat. It did come on in a subdued fashion a few minutes later. When I turned it off after a minute or so, the motor shaft was quite hot and there was an electrical smell near the unit. The...

Motor or Capacitor? [ 2 Answers ]

How can you rule out a bad capacitor? Is the only way by ohms?

Ceiling fan: change capacitor for single speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Loyal Products made in Taiwan fan with melted 4 wire capacitor. The capacitor has blue wire in and red 4uF, white 4.5uF and yellow 5uF wires out. This is connected to a two layer switch by the red and yellow wire. The white capacitor wire connects to a red wire going into the motor. My...

Corrosion on a ceiling fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

My fan powers up but does not spin. After taking the fan apart I saw that there was corrosion on a couple of coils and 2 wires are split. It looks as if the wires shorted out and flash burned a small part of the motor coils, along with the wires. Can this motor be fixed and/or made to work...

Ceiling Fan Motor Noise [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed 4 ceiling fans (2 Hampton Bay and 2 Hunter) and experienced the same thing. A humming sound from the motors on all of them. I used 12G wiring and spliced into 12G existing wiring in the attic. The mfrs don't understand why - one has asked if I have enough power going to them. ...

View more questions Search