Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Trojan.Zlog.G Keyboard logger
    Hi team,

My niece's PC has been clobbered with spyware. Unfortunately, the unit got hit prior to her installing NAV 2009.

Then, hubby tried to help and downloaded Sydoctor which appears to only provide a scan and then holds you up to purchase the application.

Current Status:

Win XP - Media platform.

Firewall message listing a HIGH threat condition from a Trojan.Zlog.G keyboard logger.

In "Normal Mode", network goes to "Non Responding"
    "SafeMode" blocks the virus but does not let you install NAV 2009.
    "SafeMode with Networking" lets you communicate with the network, but you cannot download or install anything.

I never really played in the security forum, I had a staff to take care of that for me. Gee, it's a PIA to retire!

Anyway, I'm looking for a removal tool that will initiate a system scan and then either quarantine the virus or remove it. I would prefer freeware since I'm sure this virus has been around forever, under several names.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Dec 18, 2008, 09:05 AM

Try Malwarbytes

Dec 18, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Static,

The problem with Malware is that it only provides a scan for free. Then it holds you up for an additional fee.

In the process of getting that fee, it also collects the account information from you.

I need a virus killer that will scan and kill the virus without forcing you to give up personal information
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Here's a couple for you:

ewido is AVG - anti-spyware, anti-malware and anti-virus software
    AND
    Malwarebytes.org

Should do the trick.
    Also worth running an oinline scan here: TREND MICRO HouseCall 6.5

Dec 18, 2008, 11:48 AM

Don - Malwarebytes is free to use... it will scan AND clean for free. The paid version does more.

Curlyben has the link posted
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Dec 21, 2008, 07:31 PM

Using Internet Explorer, go to:

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym

Click the GO button, then under Virus Detection, click Start. You might be told that you need to download and install ActiveX Controls for the scan to work, answer Yes.

Write down exactly anything it finds, then go to: : and do a search for what was found. Symantec usually has a removal tool and/or directions for removing manually. Make sure that you follow the instructions for removal, step by step, especially the part regarding disabling System Restore.

You might want also download Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6 from:

Spybot - Search & Destroy - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Check for updates before running a scan.

Jan 7, 2009, 10:47 AM

Well, the tale continues. I installed Malwarebytes and if found at least 70 (+/-) infections. It cleaned all the sites and the scan runs clean every time I run it.

As soon as you start Explorer ver 7.x it goes to "Non responding". Leaving her two options. (1) Safe Mode with Networking and (2) Starting Explorer with "Add ons OFF".

After Malwarebytes ran successfully, I still cannot load NAV 2009, nor can any activity be run with the browser.

According to NAV Support there are infections in the Registry that they can fix for a $100 over and above the cost of their product, which is supposed to be for the same thing!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 10:52 AM
    At this point I usually boot into Safe Mode, move anything that needs saving into one folder, copy that folder to a USB key or burn it to a CD/DVD then wipe the whole computer and re-install the OS and apps. Before the PC goes online I make sure I have the AV saved to a USB key to install (I use Free antivirus - Avira AntiVir) and I would stay away from Norton/Symantec products if I want my computer to be quick and nimble.

Jan 8, 2009, 07:01 AM

Don't pay anyone to do it... Do as Karma says. Copy anything you need to keep to cd's (or share a folder over you network and move them to another computer)

Really think about what you use, documents, music, videos, pictures, bookmarks, etc...

Once that's done... Put your XP disc in. When booting go into the bios and change to boot order to boot from the CD first. Save & Exit.

It will prompt you to "Press any key to boot from CD" press a key.
    Select the option to do a new install... then delete the partition. Create new partition - (FULL FORMAT)
    Once done - follow the instructions and install XP. Its easy and you will see a HUGE speed boost when done.

Good luck... just ask if you get stuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reconnect wireless keyboard without using a keyboard [ 1 Answers ]

I have msn wireless keyboard and mouse. Mouse works but keyboard does not. Computer recognizes keyboard in add wireless devices. I do not have a keyboard to add as normal as I have no way to enter passkey. Can I get keyboard readded/reinstalled without the use of a keyboard?

MSN Trojan [ 3 Answers ]

I was on msn recently and received a link is this your pic, I clicked it nothing happened. But since then I have been getting trojans after trojans. I have AVG, spybot, stopzilla and spyware doctor. Running all at the moment. Every time they bring up a virus I delete it or heal it or remove it...

How do I disable the laptop keyboard when adding an external keyboard [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop keyboard is screwed up - tried to add an external through a usb port - bad keys on laptop keyboard take priority over external keyboard - tried to uninstall laptop keyboard, but system requests reboot to finish - after reboot system "finds" laptop keyboard and reinstalls - any ideas?

Trojan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need help. We own an internet shop and the thing is the computers had virus, I thought it was worm virus bcoz it's been eating up my exe files, but now, I checked one of the computers, there is now an icon, a black icon that seems to be a guy with long hair... and it's been eating up my files...

Ghost Key Logger [ 4 Answers ]

Which is the best ghost key logger to use on your computer and how invisible is it to other users of my computer? AND... is there any site where I can download one for free ::)

View more questions Search