Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manga Posts: 92, Reputation: 10

Dec 17, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Online dating
    Anyone experience with meeting someone after talking to them for months? The aniticipation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 03:49 PM

If they have been honest, then it will be like meeting someone you seem to have known for years.

If they have not been honest it will be a disappointment
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 03:51 PM

I talked to my husband for probably close to a month online before we met up. I was so nervous. We decided to go to steak n shake when I got off work one night since I work late. We each got a shake but we sat there talking for about 4 hours.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 04:20 PM

Talked for about a year and a half, online and by phone, had a few visits in person, and now married. Plenty of anticipation, but you can get to know someone pretty well when all you have is talking... :)

As Fr_Chuck said, if they are honest you will still have some anxiety meeting for the first time in person, but it will also be quite comfortable.
    chrissymarie Posts: 563, Reputation: 53

Dec 18, 2008, 05:03 PM

I met my current boyfriend online... he came to my job and we met there. So far we've had a pretty nice relationship.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 12:40 PM

Just curious... did you guys utilize the online dating sites? And if so, which ones did you find to be the most helpful?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 01:01 PM

I agree with the others
    They say there are many successful marriages through the internet.
    I don't think it is any much different than meeting people in real life.
    Real life people can lie and con you just as much as the internet ones.
    Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 03:32 PM

I had a wonderful marriage and divorce from the internet, too bad there is not a internet divorce site.

No matter what, even after years, often people are not truly honest, but at times it is only when hard times come, that a persons true virtues come out.
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kctiger View Post
    Just curious...did you guys utilize the online dating sites? And if so, which ones did you find to be the most helpful?

I didn't... met my husband just by chance, but I know a few people who have. Others have met through chat rooms or message boards designed for specific hobbies or interests as well.

Dec 21, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Thanks everyone we were due to meet in a week but he just told me he is getting back with his ex. We were talking for about 3 months EVERYDAY just about a week ago things seemed different...
    Lame... I thought it was strange for him to move quickly to I love you before even meeting

Sigh... where are the genuine people?
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by manga View Post
    sigh.... where are the genuine people?
    Definitely not in the chat rooms. Most of them are players.
    This guy could have not even had a wife and wanted to role play with you.
    Then when he was done with it claim getting back with an ex as a convenient excuse.

Dec 21, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Definitely not in the chat rooms. Most of them are players.
    This guy could have not even had a wife and wanted to role play with you.
    Then when he was done with it claim getting back with an ex as a convenient excuse.
    Funny thing is we ONCE didn't even talk about sex just two hours before he said he was going back with his ex he said he didn't want to loose me and when I texted him back that I didn't want to either for as long as he wants it. So within 2 hours he made up his mind? He probably was thinking and he also said he didn't know how to tell me. THIS IS SOO FRIGGIN lame! 3 and a half months of talking man did I do a number on him to mis his x
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:47 AM

I think a lot of chat rooms people just want to toy with your emotions.

Dec 21, 2008, 07:50 AM
    I think a lot of chat rooms people just want to toy with your emotions.
    We met off a site no chatroom we did vdeo chats texting and calling
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 07:51 AM

They are shallow because they want to talk sex and claim they love you but what do they base the love on?
    And who knows how many people they are telling the same thing to?
    I really think while they are chatting with you they are carrying on the same conversations with others and then often they go for the one who is sluttiest. If you sound too average for them then you 'lose'
    Count it a win for you though.

I was just using the chat rooms as an example because they seem to be the worst.
    You can find the type any where even the street.

Dec 21, 2008, 08:20 AM
    They are shallow because they want to talk sex and claim they love you but what do they base the love on?
    And who knows how many people they are telling the same thing to?
    I really think while they are chatting with you they are carrying on the same conversations with others and then often they go for the one who is sluttiest. If you sound too average for them then you 'lose'
    Count it a win for you though.

I was just using the chat rooms as an example because they seem to be the worst.
    You can find the type any where even the street.
    He really came off genuine he had a myspace thathad a pic of me up basically had me in it saying he wanted to meet me and everything I guess he's THAT good huh?
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:24 AM

Sometimes I think it could be a case of cold feet.
    They think they want to meet somebody on the internet but when it comes down to it they chicken out.
    At any rate whatever his reasoning you have to live with his decision to break it off and anybody else you talk with on the internet take what they say with a grain of salt.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:26 AM

Usually you can get a pretty quick read on someone by what they start asking you, what they joke about, where they tend to try and lead the conversation, etc.. Genuine people are certainly out there, but there are certainly those who just want to have a good time, and some who will take as far as they can.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 08:31 AM

I definitely agree with Doug the more genuine people will talk about work and their daily life issues. When they keep asking things of a sexual nature or insisting they love you and want you generally they are playing you.

When I used to go on the I-M's and guys would ask me sexual questions I would answer them with silly replies. They got the hint that they weren't going to get me into the sextxting. Some would get mad that I wasted THEIR time others would laugh and tell me they enjoyed talking to me anyway.
    Expert

Dec 21, 2008, 09:18 AM

Yes, I used to date a lot "online" and is where I meet my now "ex"

But most of the ladies I talked to, said the same thing, about 1/2 of the guys they talked to never showed up for a real meeting.
    And of the 1/2 that showed up about 1/2 of them turned out to be married and just looking for some sex on the side and often had several girlfriends and were using several email addressses and screen names.

I have started doing some dating again but to be honest many turned out to be nut cases ( or perhaps they though that of me)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Online dating [ 20 Answers ]

I meet a guy on myspace and he told me I can come visit him in California whenever? Should I go for it ? I know he has 1 picture on his page... Is there any safety steps I should take... I will be staying at his house and he will pay for my ticket thanks

Online dating [ 11 Answers ]

I met a guy in a chat room and we really hit it off. We are now "dating." The problem is that he lives in California and goes to college in Wisconsin... I live in Ohio. He tells me that we probably won't be able to meet for another year when I go off to college and I don't know if I can wait...

Dating online [ 27 Answers ]

Hi, I "met" a man on a dating site a few months ago. We are a bit far from each other so we have not met yet. We are not kids anymore :) At the beginning he was too fast for me, sending tons of emails every day, then we started to communicate on the phone and webcam. But he disappeared...

Online dating [ 5 Answers ]

Would you recommend online dating if you were about 8 hours away from the other person? ( I fixed up the question since some were confused )

Online dating - what do I say to her? [ 16 Answers ]

I have now been single for five years, before that I was in an 11 year relationship that when bust. Ready for dating but it's not so easy find dates for my age group in pubs and clubs. I have joined a dating agency. What do I say to get that first response? Tell her about myself, my hobbies;...

View more questions Search