Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baughpd Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold
    The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2006, 01:42 PM
    Is the compressor running?

Jul 12, 2006, 03:02 PM
    The fan on the top of the compressor is running. Does that mean the compressor is running? If not, how do I tell if it is running?

Thanks,

Jul 12, 2006, 03:16 PM
    I just read elsewhere that I should hear a low pitched rumble if the compressor is running. I believe I hear that sound.

Thanks
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2006, 04:11 PM
    You can put your hand on it and feel it running. Also it will be warm on top of it.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 12, 2006, 05:38 PM
    One way to tell without electrical instruments if the compressor is running is to stand outside they unit when someone turns it on.
    IF the compressor is running and you have good airflow inside, it's possible your condenser is dirty.
    Can you see the compressor? Can you see the lines going to it? The larger line, (the low side) should be cold.

Jul 12, 2006, 06:00 PM
    The big line is a little cooler than outside temp and the small line is a little warmer.

Thanks,
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 12, 2006, 11:50 PM
    Sounds like your low on freon as long as your airflow is good.

Jul 13, 2006, 12:31 PM
    Thank you for the help. I called a repairman and he put in three pounds of freon and it is working great.

I appreciate the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

A/c only runs for an hour [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, about 3 days ago my a/c unit inside started to pour out water. I bought a wet dry vac and unclogged the pipes, and changed the filter. Now, it will work fine for about an hour, then it starts to struggle. The inside unit tries to run but it does not kick in only makes whispering noise and...

Outside fan runs continuously [ 5 Answers ]

This is a very helpful sight and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a fairly new house (5 years old) and I am having some problems with a Carrier unit. At the end of this summer it started tripping the breaker on very hot days and we called a technician whom found nothing wrong. ...

Outside unit runs on. [ 1 Answers ]

My Carrier outside condenser unit continues to run after the residence thermostat has shut down the system and the furnace blower fan is stopped. I suspect a relay failure on this split system. Can I correct this problem myself or should a professional be called?

View more questions Search