Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eastcoastpat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 07:55 PM
    1998 cavalier z24 blown head gasket
    I am a novice backyard mechanic. The extent of my previous works include water pumps, starter motors, radiators etc... All pretty simple jobs. I have a 1998 cavalier Z24 twin cam 2.4 liter with a blown head gasket (car has 120,000 miles on it) . I know its blown because my mechanic told me so. It sputters and there is a distinct smell of glycol coming from the exhaust. I am pretty good with following directions. I wanted to know if anybody could give me step by step instructions on how to replace it?
    Bowtie_Barbie Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 11:17 AM

That's like the hardest one to do in a Cavi. :)...

Pretty sure you can buy a manual at a parts store...

Two very important tips with the 2.4L... when installing the cams turn the crankshaft 90 degrees (3 o'clock position). This puts all the pistons half way,which leaves room for the valves to open until you get everything in time.Then when it's time to put chain on and the cams are set in time turn the crank backwards that 90 degrees to 12 o'clock... and, make sure the cam followers(lifters) are spongy and not pumped-up solid.They will not let the valves close and will destroy the open valves,piston, and possibly the head

Try this site but I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself...
    WikiAnswers - How do you replace a head gasket

Let me know how it turns out!!
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 11:40 AM

Have you noticed any loss of coolant? Has the vehicle been overheating? What did your mechanic do to determine that the head gasket is bad? The only reason I ask is because I hate to see people do more than they need to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown head gasket? How much to fix? [ 17 Answers ]

My 2001 Cavalier is using coolant like crazy, leaking it as well. The motor oil is kind of lumpy, does this mean a blown head gasket & is it worth it to fix? Plus what do I get fixed? Thank you I can't afford to have someone take advantage & charge me a crazy amount of $:o

Blown head gasket! [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I have a blown head gasket. I would like to know if it would be best to get it fixed or get a new engine? Why does it cost so much to replace the head gaskets? If I decide to get a engine would it be better to get a new, rebuilt, or used engine?

Blown Head Gasket [ 4 Answers ]

I need information on a Blown Head Gasket. My 2002 Ford Mustang has been running hot for almost a year (beginning last summer and usually only in the summer). We have replaced the thermostat 2x and it will work for a few months then start running hot again. It is now running hot and I took it to...

Blown head gasket [ 1 Answers ]

Wher to start when replacing head gasket on 19995 nissan altima

Blown head gasket [ 0 Answers ]

I have a geo prism with a blown head gasket. Is there any way I could fix it cheap, even if I jerry-rig it? Thanks. Ian

View more questions Search