talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 12, 2006, 07:27 PM
    Comment on jduke44's post
    You are so right, more info is needed sometimes
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 12, 2006, 07:35 PM
    I've read some good thoughtful opinions thus far and I would like to add that I try to reserve tough love for the ones who seem to have some sort of attitude or come off disrespectful from the start. I also realize I'm far from perfect but I try to be fair. Sometimes I fall short, but if you bring a bad attitude that's what you'll get.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jul 12, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Comment on rudi_in's post
    You are definitely not alone on this!
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jul 12, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Comment on magprob's post
    Ditto... :)
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jul 12, 2006, 10:11 PM
    When someone posts a question, they are doing it to get answers, different views and advice. Correct? I say give the best advice and comments you feel they need to hear. Not everyone is going to have the same view, that is why different opinions are important. If they do not agree with the answers, well, that is their problem, they asked. If they lay out their problem in hopes
    Of getting all to agree with them, that defeats the purpose of the post. When they ask for an opinion, they need to be ready to hear the good and the bad or else they'll never grow or change a thing in their lives.
    I read a couple of post that were pretty juvenile and it was getting pretty petty. I will give my advice which may or may not be the best, it is only my opinion. If they get angry, that is for them to deal with.
    It is true, sometimes it is hard to understand what they are saying, like parts of the story are left out.
    I have read some really good advice from some of the "oldsters" and the "youngsters" could learn a lot from you, but some of them live with their ears (or eyes in this case) closed. You all have so much compassion for the young ones that listen and I can tell you really care and I just know it helps them so much. There are a lot of youngs kids out there today that are good and just need someone to help guide them and show them that they care. I think you are all great.

Jul 12, 2006, 10:13 PM
    Comment on jduke44's post
    Good comment
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jul 12, 2006, 10:15 PM
    Comment on Cassie's post
    Good advice.

Jul 12, 2006, 10:16 PM
    Comment on phillysteakandcheese's post
    You have this one right on

Jul 12, 2006, 10:17 PM
    Comment on rudi_in's post
    A certainly agree
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2006, 12:30 AM
    Comment on magprob's post
    Right on!!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 13, 2006, 04:33 AM
    If I may double dip here.. . I know there are circumstances where one is tempted to address two parts of the problems posted here --- the problem and the crappy value system that is made evident by the poster. However, trying to jam my value system on them will simply not work. It wouldn't with me either. We all inherit our value system from our families. Mine was so dysfunctional I had to totally rework mine and it is born out of what works (mindful that it must work for everyone too). I can imagine the ones who post here with the crappy value system may be somewhat similar to me in that regard. Soooooo, I try to work their crappy value system into the original problem in my answer, and hopefully diplomatically. I make the effort of diplomacy not so much because they deserve it as much as I do. That and it probably won't work otherwise. This does not stop me from telling the truth.

As far as disrespect, I learned it is a powerful thing not to hand it back when I encounter it... what I do reflects on me, not them and what they do reflects on them, not me.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2006, 04:40 AM
    I have seen answers here where people post what they think the asker wants to hear; then the asker say thank you and goes away with the same problem they had when they came in here. I agree with the previous posters who believe in telling the asker what they truly believe to be the issue (usually that they are the problem) at hand in a respectful way. If the asker is overly sensitive in their response then you know that a) you have indeed hit a nerve and b) they came in here wanting to hear that nothing at all is wrong with them.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 13, 2006, 05:03 AM
    Comment on NeedKarma's post
    Nods, love the new look too Karma, that one is really you!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2006, 05:05 AM
    I agree too, and also love your new hair and looks hehehe

Jul 13, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    If I may double dip here . . . I know there are circumstances where one is tempted to address two parts of the problems posted here --- the problem and the crappy value system that is made evident by the poster. However, trying to jam my value system on them will simply not work. It wouldn't with me either. We all inherit our value system from our families. Mine was so dysfunctional I had to totally rework mine and it is born out of what works (mindful that it must work for everyone too). I can imagine the ones who post here with the crappy value system may be somewhat similar to me in that regard. Soooooo, I try to work their crappy value system into the original problem in my answer, and hopefully diplomatically. I make the effort of diplomacy not so much because they deserve it as much as I do. That and it probably won't work otherwise. This does not stop me from telling the truth.

As far as disrespect, I learned it is a powerful thing not to hand it back when I encounter it.... what I do reflects on me, not them and what they do reflects on them, not me.
    Have to spread it around... Val, you are always diplomatic, such an asset to the post.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2006, 07:12 AM
    I'm part irish.

I'm sort of blonde.

I'm a guy.

One means I'm blunt.

One means I get to kill bugs and lift heavy things.

One explains why my wife says "youre pretty" when I do something dumb.

Put them together and its like a deoxyribose nucleic acid formula for... well... as a fortune cookie once told me "you are obstinant and always wrong"... that was the rudest fortune cookie ever.

I think things should not get venenous here... but I don't mind at all if someone says my posts are complete bunk. Might be true. I think we should be able to strongly disagree from time to time, as long as the discussion is reasonable to the topic, and be able to walk away at the end of the day. My nature is to probably kick in a few doors when I disagree and see who's still standing and talking to me when its over. Oh well.

Mkay. I gotto go move the second half of 26 tons of concrete dust now. I'm not kidding. Stupid patio project.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 13, 2006, 07:17 AM
    I absolutely with out a doubt agree with you 110%, I could not have said it better if I was a Harvard graduate, which unfortunately I am not (O:
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Comment on Starman's post
    Are you equating me to Hitler or just heckling and jeckling off subjuct again?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Ecactly, I have seen so many "experts" give a sugar coated light answer that really did not get to the heart of the problem. What is the use?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jul 13, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Comment on talaniman's post
    We are not here to mete out punishment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tough, Tough, Sport. Respect Is Due [ 2 Answers ]

This sport is very tough. I have always had much respect for triathletes. I would love to discuss the sport further with the athletes themselves.

This may be a tough one [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I'm not too sure what the song is about or how some of the lyrics go but I know it has "mashadamio" in it. I'm not sure if I spelt it right but it means sweetheart, but if anybody knows what song has "mashadamio" in it, it would be great help, and if I can get more info on it I'll be...

Tough molding cut [ 2 Answers ]

Maybe this is possible? Trying to run molding horizontal along the top of tile above a shower surround and match it with a piece running vertical along each side of the shower. These are 90 degrees from each other on each plane - any trim carpenters out there that can help me with these cuts? Don't...

Ohh please help with this tough one [ 1 Answers ]

The song is heard on alternative/rock radio stations. Its about all these different women and the way they like it. The 'singer' is mostly just speaking the song not singing. I can try to come up with more details if needed. Thanks John

View more questions Search