Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sleepy_ghost Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 04:58 PM
    17 month old may be gifted, need info on subject.
    Hi.
    I have a 17 month old daughter who appears to show signs of advanced learning. I don't know how common these things are (she's my first) but here's the list:

- consistently names correctly about 50 % of the alphabet (the other 50% is becoming more accurate as I type) and can count 1 to 5
    - knows all of her body parts
    - has a good vocabulary (knows about twenty words correctly and can match names with objects if show pictures of them in books)
    - is very interested in books and reading
    - can recognize five colors (blue, red, green, yellow and black)
    - Started potty training about a week ago and has already mastered signing for poop and pee individually and will vocalize which one it is when she needs to go.
    - Can recognize certain shapes (circles and squares) when asked.
    - very interested in music and coloring with crayons and pens. So far no shapes but she is learning how to draw circles.

I may be missing some other signs but those are the main ones. If anyone here has any info, I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks a lot!

Chris.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 05:39 PM

It sounds like your child is right on point with her development. The more you work with her the more her development will continue to soar.

Usually, a child can be tested to see if he/she is gifted once he/she starts school. The school, if available, tests your child to see if he/she is gifted. If the school can't perform this test they can refer to an outside source or the parent can have their child tested by a psychologist, preferably one with expertise in the area of gifted children.

My friend is currently going through the process to get her 8 year tested. Also, my fiancé son is in the gifted program and has been since the age of 7.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 05:54 PM

Sounds like she's very eager to please you. Personally, I don't think it's necessary or desirable to impose a lot of structured learning on toddlers. There's nothing much to do until she gets older, but provide her with opportunities to play and be challenged. Take her for walks in new places outside, interesting buildings; let her build things, maybe give her access to a musical instrument when she's a bit older. Introduce her to different kinds of plants and animals and use correct names (some people tell babies that cows are horses or the other way. I hate that!). Take her shopping and let her help you find the groceries. Have fun!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 06:12 PM

Like asking said, spend time with her exploring and talking and reading together. Let her help you bake cookies by setting her (safely!) on the counter and letting her dump the sugar and flour and other ingredients into the mixing bowl. Always be mindful of making games out of things like counting the baked cookies or identifying shapes all around you, naming colors, identifying foods in the grocery store and talking about how they grow. Be practical by growing a garden together or even just bean plants in a pot. Make your grocery lists with her help. Play games such as "I see something in this room (or on this table or in the toybox) that starts with 'X'". Both of you close your eyes and listen to noises, then identify them.

The public library has books telling about all the activities to do with your toddler and young child.

The main thing right now is to be with her and engage her in a huge variety of learning activities--not academic, but those that take in all the senses plus let her explore her creativity and imagination. Trust me, that's the best way to encourage a gifted toddler to expand her horizons and to soak up the world.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I gifted [ 2 Answers ]

I just found out today that my IQ was 129 and I'm 12 does that man I'm gifted?

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

Any info for a 2 month old mini schnauzer? [ 2 Answers ]

I brought home a new edition to my family, a 2 month old mini schnauzer. She is the only pet I have and all she does is sleep and hasn't ate at all since I got her from the pet store. Should I be worried? She does play for a little while and potty's OK, just need to know if this is normal for her...

View more questions Search