Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaluda1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2006, 12:58 PM
    Voltage Drop
    I have a 20 amp breaker;there are a total of 7 receptacles on this circuit with a 15 amp GFI on the first receptacle.

The first 5 receptacles in line work fine, the last two receptacles which are approximately 70 feet from the 5th receptacle flip the 15 amp GFI off when plugging in a drill. I have immeasurable power making a drill barely turn. THe complete run is approximately 140 feet. Why do the first 5 work and the last two do not? WHAT is the problem.

Thanks Bob
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2006, 02:48 PM
    I think you have a loose connection causing this problem. Check the last outlet in the circuit that is working, and the first outlet that is not. Look for the type of connection to each outlet called "Stab in the back" or "Quik-Wire", "Wiz-Wire" , etc.

This is done by stripping each wire about a half inch, and pushing the straight wire into a hole on the back of the device. These connections are popular for causing loose connections.

To change over to the standard wrap around the screw connection, you will need to gently pull and twist the wire out of the hole. Sometimes there is a small rectangle slot near the hole to insert a very small screwdriver to release the wire from the hole. Check to be sure any loose connection did not cause heat the damaged the outlet.

If these connections do not exist or are not the problem, then there may be a bad or loose splice, but my bet is on the quik wire method being the culprit
    kaluda1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2006, 03:18 PM
    Thanks, that is what it was'
    OUt of curiosity where are you, your time appears to be 5-6 hours ahead of my California time. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

9-8 drop? [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know if there is something called a 9 8 drop in plumbing .it has something to do with the drainage system in kitchens and bathrooms.

Voltage drop. Is this normal? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a rural, small cabin (aprox. 50 yrs. Old) on a co-op electrical grid. The main panel with circuit breakers was recently installed (before I got here, 100 amp service) but the wiring was not replaced. It's the old two-wire (no bare copper ground). When I run certain circuits (220 well...

Voltage drop [ 2 Answers ]

How far can you run an electrical cord, that is plugged into a 20 amp circuit, and still run a circular saw? If the saw starts slowly, will that harm the saw?

Voltage doubler [ 1 Answers ]

How do you figure out how big of a capacitor you need for a voltage doubler circuit? I am putting together one for a 250 VA 24 volt transformer.

Drop down [ 2 Answers ]

I know I have done this before, And I can't remember how I did it. I would like to eliminate the search history, from the search field when I start to type something it gives a drop down of previous searches. I do not want it to do this- how can I change it?

View more questions Search