Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Dec 16, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Therm. Expansion tank
    Should I install a thermal expansion tank when I install new Gas hot water heater?
    My current tank(installed 14 yrs ago when house was built!) does not have one, and I do not have a closed water system ( no check valve to city main) So I do not think it will cause damage without one. I would just ask the city building dept. but then they get curious and charge me $75 to get a permit for the tank install.
    Thanks for any info on why we need exp. Tanks and if they are becoming mandatory to install.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Hey Dayslug24...

Codes differ from state to state and even town to town... so no easy way to answer your question here. Even if you knew the particular code in place in your state we would not be able to tell you what your town inspector requires.

If you don't have an expansion tank in place now then it is highly likely that you will not be required to install one now. You could always call the inspector and tell him that your water heater is getting old and you and a friend were wondering/arguing if a new water heater install needs an expansion tank..

I also like the idea of all water heaters getting a permit and getting inspected. $75.00 or less guarantees that your homeowner's insurance will pay for the damages should any occur due to poor manufacturing/materials, and it guarantees that all safety devices have been installed properly. I know this will be hard to believe, and I don't want to get all dramatic over this, but more then a few people have died because water heaters have been installed improperly (temperature and pressure relief valve got installed wrong).

Check out www.waterheaterblast.com to see a video (at bottom of screen) of what can happen when safety devices are installed wrong.

Anyway, hope that helped some. Let me know if have more questions... ok?

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 12:31 PM

Mark gave you very good advice. From my experience, Thermal Expension is a rare problem - but does happen. I would proceed with installing the heater and if you start experiencing Thermal Expansion problem than I would deal with it. It is relatively easy to install the thermal expansion tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expansion tank [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, In our project there is specified a closed expansion tank for the chilled water system, but our contractor wanted to change to the bladder type expansion tank. Please advise, if it is suitable to serve the purpose. Also he says that the specified tank is a plain steel tank, which are...

Use of expansion tank [ 1 Answers ]

Why do I use expansion tank in a chilled water system?

Hii,please help me,I want to know the physical meaning of " the expansion tank of the chilled water system" and how it works , the theory or principle of its work, its components and any site that can help me, and thanks a lot.

If I install a water pressure reducing valve on my main line for my hot water heater,do I need to install an expansion tank for my hot water heater?

View more questions Search