Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bimmeraddict Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
    Scotts 24hp kohler 54in cut SMOKES.
    I know its winter now however I would like to get this mower working right over the off season.

I have a problem with the mower smoking after it has been running awhile. I back off the power and it seems to go away. Then a few minutes of running it starts doing it again... The smoke is white and it smokes like a freight train... I have noticed the carb is dripping oil after it is parked... so I assume its somehow getting in the carb as I'm cutting? Maybe a headgasket? Blow by? I was leaking oil pretty good out of the side of motor it was coming out of rubber hose that had cracked up going to the little round breather?. I have since repaired that... but the oil in the carb and smoking is something I now need to resolve.. I'm good with cars but mowers and small engines I'm out of my element.. Could someone help me out with telling me what this may be. I have researched the topic before asking and someone had the very same problem however his problem was never resolved or he fixed it and never said anything?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 12:14 AM

1. Take the plug out and spray carb cleaner in the hole[B]. Place a rag over the opening and crank the engine until it's clear.

2. Replace the "oil breather". The thing that the hose you described was dripping oil.
    Bimmeraddict Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 12:30 AM

Is there a good wholesale place for parts online?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 08:51 AM

There are lots of places that have parts lookup engines available.

A decent parts place is: Kohler Engine Parts, Kohler Parts Home.

Your local lawn mower place can sometimes be more helpful, because of aftermarket sources.

Evem Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com offer parts identifier information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scotts Lawn Tractor [ 3 Answers ]

My Scotts lawn tractor won't start. When I turn the key, it just make a clicking noise. The "book" states it may be the starter or the solenoid? What's a solenoid and where is it located? Actually, what does the starter look like?

Scotts (John Deere) with Kohler engine won't start! [ 1 Answers ]

Scotts (John Deere) riding mower with Kohler engine won't start!! Jump starting = no help. Made sure seat safety switch clean and ignition fuse OK. Brake on. Parking brake on/off. Disengaged and re-engaged tranny. Made sure blade handle full up and a little more and a little less just in case...

Scotts riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

The deck on my scotts mower is out of level. It is a 17 hp. With a 42 in. deck.

Scotts emuslion [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any adversities by giving scotts emulsion ( cod liver oil & vitamix mix ) to children between 5 - 15 yrs old on a daily basis ?

View more questions Search