Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brianfg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Cant stop gravity flow
    Just serviced and repaired a leak in my 3 zone system with separate domestic hot water heater. After a drain down and flush to remove air it appears that there is gravity flow in all 3 zones when oil burner fires up. All return lines at circulators are cold but first radiator in all 3 zones are hot. Tried turning all three thumb screws to raise and lower the brass weights and rapped them with a hammer. No luck. What gives?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 07:57 PM

Are these zone valves you are pounding on? Does the system have a flow control valve. Your gravity heat can be going up the return lines and heating the rooms. And heat backwards. The system can naturally run backwards. When a boiler /heater kicks off the water expands in the boiler/ heater and take the path of least restience. Gravity flow will then rake place. Have you ever had this problem before. If it's a zone valve call for heat and put your ear to the zone valve or metal screwdriver and then ear and listen for its operation. Are you sure you have everything bled out? Air expands more than water and creates pockets. Need a little more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden stop of water flow to kitchen faucet. [ 8 Answers ]

My kitchen faucet suddenly starts to "trickle". The spray nozzle is working fine at full power, so are all the other faucets in the house. The dishwasher also fills just fine. I've checked the "filter screens" and nothing seems to be clogged. We have also changed out the faucet which initially...

Stop Menstral Flow [ 1 Answers ]

My period is starting today and I am going on a trip in 4 days and afraid it won't be done. Can I stop it or take something to slow it down?

Venting gravity flow air lock [ 5 Answers ]

We use a gravity flow system for watering cows, it sometimes becomes air locked, where do we vent to cure this, what else can be done, thanks!

Bathtub Flow Doesn't Stop even with both knobs in off position [ 4 Answers ]

We have a bathtub in our upstairs bathroom. The faucet has always leaked a little so we tried to fix it this week. We bought new stems and put them on. (I think that's what they're called... there's one for hot and one for cold, they go straight into the pipes and then the handles go onto them)....

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

View more questions Search