Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leiasmethurst Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Can I be taken to small claims court over a broken veral agreement?
    Hello,

We expressed interest in a motorhome that a friend of ours owned. He had it for sale online. After we looked at it, we told him we'd like to buy it, and told him that we would have a check for him sometime this week. Yesterday we came across a motorhome that was $2000 cheaper. We decided to buy this one instead of the one from our friend. We called him up to explain the situation and thought that he would be OK with it, and that he would just repost his ad. Instead, he blew up at us, telling us that he had a contractor come in and do $1200 worth of work on his house, and that he paid the contractor thinking that he was going to sell his motorhome. Now is is telling us that either we buy the other motorhome AND pay him $1200, or he is taking us to small claims court and suing us for the amount. He said that we had a verbal agreement. How do verbal agreements hold up in the state of Oklahoma? What do we do now? We've already purchased the cheaper motorhome.
    Thank you!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leiasmethurst View Post
    Hello,

We expressed interest in a motorhome that a friend of ours owned. He had it for sale online. After we looked at it, we told him we'd like to buy it, and told him that we would have a check for him sometime this week. Yesterday we came across a motorhome that was $2000 cheaper. We decided to buy this one instead of the one from our friend. We called him up to explain the situation and thought that he would be ok with it, and that he would just repost his ad. Instead, he blew up at us, telling us that he had a contractor come in and do $1200 worth of work on his house, and that he went ahead and paid the contractor thinking that he was going to sell his motorhome. Now is is telling us that either we buy the other motorhome AND pay him $1200, or he is taking us to small claims court and suing us for the amount. He said that we had a verbal agreement. How do verbal agreements hold up in the state of Oklahoma? What do we do now? We've already purchased the cheaper motorhome.
    Thank you!

Yes, verbal agreements are admissible as evidence in Oklahoma.

The Judge will hear your side of things; the Judge will hear his side of things; the Judge will decide.

It sounds like you admit you had a verbal agreement with your friend and I don't see any other defense to it.

He will argue contract law - you broke the contract, he is entitled to keep the deposit. There was no agreement/discussion about the deposit if the deal didn't "go" so -

Absent that agreement, I don't see it that way. If he doesn't lose any money - he sells the motorhome for the same price or more than you agreed to, he has no case against you.

I'm sure others will weigh in with their opinions.

Dec 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Yes, verbal agreements are admissible as evidence in Oklahoma.

The Judge will hear your side of things; the Judge will hear his side of things; the Judge will decide.

It sounds like you admit you had a verbal agreement with your friend and I don't see any other defense to it.

He will argue contract law - you broke the contract, he is entitled to keep the deposit. There was no agreement/discussion about the deposit if the deal didn't "go" so -

Absent that agreement, I don't see it that way. If he doesn't lose any money - he sells the motorhome for the same price or more than you agreed to, he has no case against you.

I'm sure others will weigh in with their opinions.
    Thank you for your response. I did want to say that we did not put a deposit down on this motorhome, and we did not sign any paperwork for this. It was through craigslist that we saw his ad in the first place.
    Thank you!
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leiasmethurst View Post
    Thank you for your response. I did want to say that we did not put a deposit down on this motorhome, and we did not sign any paperwork for this. It was through craigslist that we saw his ad in the first place.
    Thank you!

I don't know that it matters much - it's an agreement (apparently) between both parties. I would say you don't need a deposit to bind the deal. I don't see that the verbal contract was contingent on the down payment.

Of course, he may just do nothing - not everyone who threatens to sue actually does.

Dec 15, 2008, 06:23 PM
    I don't know that it matters much - it's an agreement (apparently) between both parties. I would say you don't need a deposit to bind the deal. I don't see that the verbal contract was contingent on the down payment.

Of course, he may just do nothing - not everyone who threatens to sue actually does.
    Thank you for responding. He said that because he paid an electrician to do some work on his house thinking that we were going to buy the motorhome, that he is suing us for that amount ($1200). We also did not give him a specific date as to when we were going to pay for this motorhome. I have saved his voicemails in case he does actually feel like sueing. I just don't understand how if you want to buy something off craigslist that the seller can sue you for not following through on the deal. I strongly believe that he thinks he can sue us just because he knows us personally. My husband asked him if he planned on putting the motorhome back on Craigslist, and he said "NO" It's like he's not even trying to sell it now just because we didn't buy it.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Dec 15, 2008, 07:16 PM
    We concur with Judykaytee's initial answer.

Even if the contract is breached by you the seller must still prove that he took all reasonable steps to mitigate his damages AND that he has incurred damages.

A repair or improvement to the property is not necessarily a damage since it will provide value to the present or future owner.

Dec 15, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice Matters View Post
    We concur with Judykaytee's initial answer.

Even if the contract is breached by you the seller must still prove that he took all reasonable steps to mitigate his damages AND that he has incurred damages.

A repair or improvement to the property is not necessarily a damage since it will provide value to the present or future owner.
    Thank you very much. I am really freaking out right now! Any responses I get are very valuable!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 09:26 AM

Why would the verbal agreement to buy be binding if a) there was no deposit made, and b) the 'customer' changed his mind.

Wouldn't part of the verbal agreement be the actual sale? If there was no sale, he was only a 'potential' buyer.

If another person had showed up before lia did and made a better offer, or paid cash on the spot, could they sue him? Would he then be liable for a verbal contract?
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    Why would the verbal agreement to buy be binding if a) there was no deposit made, and b) the 'customer' changed his mind.

Wouldn't part of the verbal agreement be the actual sale? If there was no sale, he was only a 'potential' buyer.

If another person had showed up before lia did and made a better offer, or paid cash on the spot, could they sue him? Would he then be liable for a verbal contract?

There was no provision in the oral contract - which is what this is - that it would be bound by a deposit. In my eyes the contract was: I will pay you X and you will title the property over to me. Nothing else. You cannot create and enforce a provision when none existed at the time the contract was made.

This was a contract to purchase - the actual sale is anticipated and the purpose of the contract. The actual sale is not legally a provision of the sale - know what I mean? It's the purpose of the contract, oral or written.

Yes, if someone else had purchased the property before the OP showed up, the OP could sue the seller on the verbal contract.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 10:02 AM

Ahhh okay, that makes sense.

I wonder if, had the purchaser phoned this fellow and said that he was unable to secure the money to buy, what would have happened.

Would it still be binding?
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 10:05 AM

I wonder if, had the purchaser phoned this fellow and said that he was unable to secure the money to buy, what would have happened.

It would appear, if someone wanted to be insistent, that there was no financing approval/arrangement as part of the oral contract so yes, if the purchaser had broken contract the seller could have sued - of course, the seller (as I have said and others have agreed) has a duty to attempt to sell at the original price and can only sue for damages for the broken contract. Given this situation there very well may not be damages.

Dec 16, 2008, 10:12 AM

Hello, actually I think he would still be going after us for the $1200 because he said that he turned other prospective buyers away. I've been checking Craigslist this morning, and he has still not reposted the motorhome. He also told my husband that he has no plans of reposting the motorhome, his sole interest is going after us now. (Great... ) I did contact a civil lawyer this morning, and he said that verbal agreements to hold up in the state of Oklahoma. He said that he would write this guy a letter though in the hopes of stopping this situation from going any further.

Dec 16, 2008, 10:15 AM
    It would appear, if someone wanted to be insistent, that there was no financing approval/arrangement as part of the oral contract so yes, if the purchaser had broken contract the seller could have sued - of course, the seller (as I have said and others have agreed) has a duty to attempt to sell at the original price and can only sue for damages for the broken contract. Given this situation there very well may not be damages.
    Yes, exactly. The only "damages" were that he paid an electrician $1200 to do some work on his house. He wants to now sue us to get that money back because he was under the impression we were going to buy the motorhome. I don't think it was wise of him to spend money before he actually had made the sale, but that is just my opinion. If we did pay the $1200 though, wouldn't we be part owners in that motorhome though? My husband made that point last night.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

I have been summoned to small claims court in aug. this is for a credit card debt 2001 with a charge off in 2002. Now an attorney who buys and tries to collect these debts is the one who is taking me to court. What are my options? I am retired and work two days a week to supplement my income. I do...

Can I take this to small claims court [ 6 Answers ]

We had a car that we were leasing. On January 26th 2005 the car was repossessed because we had no insurance on it. It wasn't being driven it was stored while we were looking for cheaper insurance. It was repossessed. We aren't fighting the repo, we are fighting the amount they are charging after...

Small claims court [ 11 Answers ]

Me (Shirley) and my aunt (Margaret) had a cell phone account together but had separate phones, and also she was the primary account holder, I CXL my phone service early, so I had to pay the early cancelation fee, which I paid, now the phone service is calling my aunt saying that bill was not paid,...

Small Claims Court [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Every One, My question tonight is about suing in small claims court.. Really its more about what am I allowed to sue for.. I entered in to a verbal agreement with a old friend of mine to help him out.. Honestly to help him stay out of jail. He was on house arrest and needed a phone so I...

View more questions Search