Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nitelight198073 Posts: 470, Reputation: 76

Dec 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Lawyer Screw Up
    My husbands lawyer was in charge of making sure that his late wife's medical bills were paid. There was settlemnts and there was life insurance to pay them. Recently there was another check for bills... well the lawyer looked it up to see if anything else was owed on the bills. There wasn't anything left (havent received any bills either) So she made it so the money was paid to him. Now two months later a boll collector is calling wanting money. I told hom to call my husbands lawyer. Did I handle this correctly and is he still liable when his lawyer made a mistake?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nitelight198073 View Post
    My husbands lawyer was in charge of making sure that his late wife's medical bills were payed. There was settlemnts and there was life insurance to pay them. Recently there was another check for bills...well the lawyer looked it up to see if anything else was owed on the bills. There wasnt anything left (havent recieved any bills either) So she made it so the money was paid to him. Now two months later a boll collector is calling wanting money. I told hom to call my husbands lawyer. Did i handle this correctly and is he still liable when his lawyer made a mistake?

If your husband was responsible for his late wife's bills and didn't pay them, he's still responsible. The Attorney's error (or maybe he didn't even have the bill) doesn't relieve your husband's legal responsibility.

He has to take the money for this bill out of the settlement amount which was paid to him.

(I would question how long ago this happened - obviously there's been enough time for your husband to remarry and for the estate to be settled. Perhaps the bill is out of Statute?)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I screw up? [ 11 Answers ]

I posted a topic about this girl I met here about a week and a half ago. Now on to why I'm posting this topic. We ended up meeting for dinner last Thursday. We were supposed to have lunch but she woke up late not feeling good so we just went out for dinner instead. I showed her around my place...

How many men does it take to screw in a lightbulb? [ 3 Answers ]

How many men does it take to screw in a lightbulb? ~one because men will screw anything.

Did I screw up? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Please any help would be great. There is this guy and he goes to my school. I have seen him around school and think he's super cute. I added him as a friend on Facebook and he accepted. Then today I sent him a private message saying this: Hey,I don't really know you but I've seen you...

Ok its new... its fun... I can't screw this up. [ 7 Answers ]

Hey Im having a great time with a girl the past few days, and we both have similar interest in each other. Now, what I need to know is. A) How do you slowly show a girl that you want to be more serious without giving her I'm the big wuss and folding for her every need? And B) What is the...

View more questions Search