Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reicheru-006 Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Dec 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Sweet tooth
    I'm a huge heath person. I'm veggin, only eat whole wheat grains and try hard to excersize, take good care of my skin, yadda yadda yadda... then there's that little part about me being a baker and eating all my cookies and brownies or most of them. I'm so addicted to the fact that their so sweet. Its like regular healthy food doesn't have a satisfying enough taste, you know? But I become very hesitant when I comes to plain spaggetii (I don't know how to spell that.. ). It's got to be whole grain. So... I'm addicted to chocolate and sweets. Help! This is making me gain so much weight and I hate it but I just can't stop! Its like I'm lost in this.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 03:46 PM

Are you eating enough protein?
    What healthy foods do you eat?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 03:48 PM

I had a sweet tooth too. What I did was stop bringing too many sweets in my house. I cut down the baking.

Also, I started to buy plenty of fruit and whenever I had the urge to eat a brownie, candy bar, cake,etc I would go and get a piece of fruit.

It was hard at first but eventually I got it under control. There was many of times I felt like giving up and running to the store for sweets but I am no longer that way. Now I can bake and buy sweets and don't have the urge to eat it all.lol
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 03:48 PM

Let me see:

You say you are a huge health person, vegan, exercise, mmmmm Well along with the extra weight, negative side effects from eating all that sweet stuff, maybe a few bad teeth, possible coronary, borderline diabetes. Do you think you may want to curb your appetite for the sugar ? I guess that's why you have come here for help and I can only say reicheru that you are going to have to exercise your discipline and just say NO and see where that takes you for a while.

I don't know what to say to you other then Don't DO IT!

Ms tickle
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 04:36 PM

You are going to have to substitute the fruits for the bad sweets.

You can also have healthier sweets... there are a few ceral bars out there that have sweet stuff in them... or maybe a bowl of sweet cereal. Keep the very bad stuff out of your pantry! Good luck!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 05:51 PM

OK,have you been tested for diabetes?

When I couldn't get enough sweets(7 spoons full of sugar in my coffee,Mountain Dew all day long,candy bars at night... )I ended up in the psyche ward being extremely manic... wonder why that was?

The blood sugar level was at 574,when normal was said to be around 100.

Diabetes is not only treatable but can be controlled quite easily(in my opinion) I needed insulin for only a month or so,then pills(and changed the sweets intake by 80%),now I am all but off even the pills!
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 06:31 PM

Eating a lot of green beans and cinnamon is good to keep your sugar balanced.
    Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 09:32 PM

I keep my sugar balanced with nothing more or less then my Metformin for diabetes, I wouldn't feel secure going without this medication. The possibility of becoming a type 1 insulin dependent is not something I want to happen by ignoring my programme.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 09:53 PM

I agree if you take medicine for diabetes it is best and safest to use the meds.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 09:53 PM

The sweet consumption you have described sounds like a sugar/chocolate addiction. I am not pointing a finger at you. I am the same way, especially when I get stressed out.

Sometimes if I catch it in its early stages, backing away and reminding myself of how I really want to be will work. But sometimes, all sweet foods, including fruit and juice will trigger a sugar gorgie. Then, it's best to stay away from everything sweet for about a week which makes the cravings go away completely.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 10:48 PM

Here is a list for fighting sweet tooth cravings

# Increase your protein intake. Often our bodies will exhibit cravings for sweets when what they really need is more protein. This isn't true for everyone however.
    # Remove temptations. Make a conscious effort not to buy sweet items.
    # Know that when a craving hits, wait 10 minutes. Do something else. A good habit to get into is to take a walk instead of eating dessert. If, after 10 minutes, you still want sweets, gargle with an antiseptic mouthwash or brush your teeth. The aftertaste doesn't mix well with sweets and you'll probably lose your craving quickly. Or for a more dramatic altering of the taste sense, try getting Gymnema Sylvestre leaves and chewing a pinch of them thoroughly. In the following hour or two anything that is unsweetened will taste better than anything containing sugar.
    # Substitute fruits and honey for candy, sweets and sugar, respectively. The sugars in fruits are digested differently than the empty calories of white sugar that are in most candy and processed foods. The fiber in fruit also slows the absorption of the sugars so you don't get as high a sugar rush (and as low a crash).
    Reicheru-006 Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Dec 16, 2008, 05:03 AM

Thanks this really helps. Just to clarify a few things, I'm vegetarian. I just use veggin for short. I'm getting enough protein lol I've been a veggin for awhile. But my doctor says I could be close to becoming diabetic but because I eat other healthy foods and excersize, its saving me. Also I just want to quit chocolate, not make substitutes for myself. I feel like I've lost the liking for chocolate but I just keep eating it because its so sweet; like its going to go away. I do eat fruits but I think I've grown so framilure to chocolate sweet or w/e that fruits don't give me a satisfying enough taste. And its like its beyond just a little self control. If I could just set it down, take a deep breath and walk away, I wouldn't be wasting my time and yours by posting this.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 05:38 AM

I eat healthy foods and exercise, have a full time active job, I am still a diabetic. Your liver and pancreas function, or non function, determines if you are a diabetic or not, and of course consumption of sweets, oh, and yes, genetics. If there was/is diabetics in your family, then you are too susceptible to it.

I don't know what you want us to say, Reicheru. It takes determination and discipline to say 'no', the same as saying no to drugs If you want a good analogy.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Reicheru-006 View Post
    Thanks this really helps. Just to clarify a few things, i'm vegetarian. i just use veggin for short. I'm getting enough protein lol i've been a veggin for awhile. But my doctor says i could be close to becoming diabetic but because i eat other heathy foods and excersize, its saving me. Also i just want to quit chocolate, not make substitutes for myself. I feel like i've lost the liking for chocolate but i just keep eating it because its so sweet; like its going to go away. I do eat fruits but i think i've grown so framilure to chocolate sweet or w/e that fruits dont give me a satisfying enough tast. And its like its beyond just a little self controll. If i could just set it down, take a deep breath and walk away, i wouldnt be wasting my time and yours by posting this.

I was a sweet tooth fanatic myself until I was in my 30's it is only by the grace of God that I did not become diabetic I think. Now that I am older I can't eat very much stuff with sugar or I feel it. If you are not diabetic at this point it is important to do proactive preventive measures by eating healthier and cutting down on the sweets before you do end up diabetic.
    I know that the list of things I gave you help me a lot.
    Also many vegetarians do not get enough L carnitine in their diets so you might want to check into buying a vegetarian L carnitine supplement. Many vegetarians wonder why they are vegetarian and overweight. They think it is an oxymoron or something but it is because they lack L carnitine.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 01:02 PM

I recommend that you have an appointment with a Registered Dietician... it's cheap and enjoyable to talk about your food intake.

Insufficiencies in certain foods can cause cravings and just eating a little refined sugar can cause cravings and "the sugar blues".

Talk to a professional. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth ache in rootcanal tooth? [ 8 Answers ]

In the last 2 days I have this dull pain in my tooth (really high up, in the gums). It only hurts when I walk or bend down. It is not painful when I drink or eat. I had a root canal on this tooth in 2005 and it has a permanent crown on it. I did have a cold a few weeks ago and was wondering if it...

Sweet sweet blues music [ 19 Answers ]

Does anyone know if Howling Wolf or John Lee Hooker are still alive and if they are, are they still playing

What to do about my sweet 16 [ 6 Answers ]

Ok so as you figured im going to be turning 16 soon! :D I am so excited but then i got to thinking about it..... i don't have a party theme. I was going to have a formal like most teen girls do but then realized that the last one i went to blew! So since my birthday is in October i decided to...

View more questions Search