Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cosignterror Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Tax write-off for working at home.
    I am in the process of moving for my job and the new position will require me to work from my apartment. I have heard ramblings about having certain tax breaks if someone works from their apartment. Anyone know about this. Oh by the way, it's not my own business I will be working for the state in which I live.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jul 10, 2006, 02:46 PM
    I know in Canada, you can write-off a lot if you work out of your home. Here, we figure out what percentage of our home is used for the business. If it's 30% (or whatever) then we can write-off 30% of our utility bills, rent mortgage, rent, taxes, etc. If you build for the business you can write that off entirely. That's how it is here, I don't know about there.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 11, 2006, 08:22 PM
    If you work for someone else, you CAN deduct costs (rent, utilities) for work done at home if you have a home office that is being used EXCLUSIVELY for work. Further, the deduction is an ITEMIZED deduction, and renting makes it unlikely that you will itemize.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2006, 07:08 AM
    I've been running a part time biz out of my home for almost 20 years. I have decided NOT to take the home office deduction because the rules are very strict. As ATE explained, the space must be used EXCLUSIVELY for work use. For example, lets say you setup a desk in a corner of one room. If you use that desk to pay your bills, then it fails the exclusivity test.

You will have to figure out exactly what percentage of your total space is devoted to this work space. A typical 2 bedroom apartment might have about 1000 sq ft. If you setup a desk for work, it might be about 20 sq ft. That's 2%. So if your rental is $750/mth you can deduct $15 or $180 for the year.

Taking the Home Office deduction increases the chance your return might be audited. For an $180 deduction, is it worth it?

Another issue, which wouldn't not apply to you as a renter, is when you sell the home. Since you are taking a partial deduction as commercial space, then part of your home sale has be figured as sale of commercial property and that can complicate your sale.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 12, 2006, 03:20 PM
    There is some dispute as to whether the Home Office deduction actually increases the chance of any audit. Over the past 15 years, I have had over 100 clients claim the Home Office deduction, and NO ONE has been audited to date. Of course, those who get audited are those who get greedy. A large deduction will generate an audit, and that is NOT an issue with my clients, as I follow the rather strict rules.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2006, 04:06 PM
    I bow to your greater experience. However, I still feel the potential deduction doesn't justify the complexities involved.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Your point has merit.

A fair number of clients, upon seeing the minimal impact the home office deduction has on their taxes, have in fact told me to redact out the calculation for fear of the potential audit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working from home? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking on the web for a way to make money from home,but to my dismay there are thousands of web sites saying their the ones that can make me rich.Hell one even said I could make 60 million dollars in as many months.To say the least I'm frustrated.I'm looking for a legitimate company...

Working on school website from home [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this, so I hope this isn't a stupid question! I'm going to be working on the website for the school where I work. Is it possible to access the site to work on it from home, or is it something that has to be done from the same computer at all times? I'll be using FrontPage, which...

Write protection [ 4 Answers ]

OK hi.. umm my friend just gave me an mp3 player. It says it's a delstar d53128. Um I plugged it into my usb port on my laptop and try to put in music in it by just simply dragging in the music onto the removable disk file but it says it can't be copied that its write protected and I have to try...

Tax write off [ 1 Answers ]

I own a small company and I am wanting to purchase some holiday gifts for my employee's. I was wondering if I could write the gifts off on my taxes? Or would it just be considered a good will gesture. Also, are holiday parties a write off to my company? -gaike

Can only write to rewritablecd's [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having trouble burning music or vcd's using normal cd's. I have tried several different makes, Maxell TDK and Phillips, sometimes they work but not often (power calibration error). I have tried using Nero 6, easy cd writer and I have just found out that if I use rewriteable cd's then...

View more questions Search