Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caroliney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Frequent Cold Sores.. . But I'm a Virgin
    Im 20 years old, a virgin, and yet I get frequent cold sores on the outside of my mouth. By frequent I mean that 90% of the time there is a small cold sore on my mouth, with small periods (a few days) when the cold sore disappears. Also, the cold sores are completely painless, and very small. Since I know I don't have genital herpes (For one because I am a virgin and also because I have never gotten any warts or anything), why am I getting such a severe case of oral herpes? I have heard that UV light ca cause these frequent cold sores, but I have stayed out the sun religiously since the age of 14 and wear 45 SPF sunscreen everyday. I would ideally like these cold sores to disappear.. . I think it would be uncomfortable explaining to a future boyfriend that despite my virginity I have a form of an STD. How can I get help for this? I would hate my future ability to kiss someone to be limited by stupid cold sores that I must have gotten years ago.. . Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 03:07 PM

Your oral cold sores (fever blisters) are not an STD and have nothing to do with your virginity. They are a herpes simplex virus.

Cold Sores Overview: Cold Sores Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention of Cold Sores

If they are always tiny and don't hurt, don't turn into blisters and ooze, you may not have cold sores. Let your doctor look at them when they are at their worst.
    jackie1012 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Hi
    I have to agree with the above comment I doubt very much if they are cold sores speaking as a long term sufferer cold sores always hurt.
    I would go and see your GP or ask to see the practice nurse there should always be a female Dr or nurse who can see you.
    Hope you get it sorted soon.
    mcjono Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Oral cold sores are not a STD. It is a virus which can be passed without you knowing and can come out when triggered. Firstly most common way of it being passed is by being kissed by someone who has a cold sore. This could stay hidden on you self for sometime. Most often cold sores appear when people are ill, tired, a lot of sun light or run down so the virus comes out. You can get great treatments from your doctor. Hope this is helpful and remember it is really common:)
    Cinnabar Posts: 113, Reputation: 5

Dec 25, 2008, 02:23 AM

Just to address a couple of the above posts, orofacial herpes can be caused by both HHV-1 and HHV-2, the latter usually being the result of oral sex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cold sores [ 5 Answers ]

I get cold sores a lot, I've tried every medication going to prevent them but none of them work... I've aksed my doctor for some tablets or something but she won't give them to me because I'm only 15, does anyone now how to get rid of them or prevent them or make the healing time quicker... I...

Cold sores [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cold sore and need to know if my hsv1 virus can become a hsv2 virus? i.e will my g\fs vagina catch it if I perform cunninglingus?

Cold sores causing std? [ 11 Answers ]

Here is a situation that happened to a close friend of mind... and I had never heard of it until she told me. Did you know that if a guy has a cold sore and he gives oral sex to a woman... he can give her herpes? This is apparently what happened to my friend. Her hub had stubble on his face and...

Remedies or oc Medication doe cold sores. [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know any remedies for cold sores or what medications work the best... Is it possible to get rid of a cold sore in 2 days? Even if its really big and yucky! :(

My sores. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone. Please help me. I need answers SOON! A few days ago I noticed a spot on my elbow. I thought it was a bug bite. It itched terribly and everything. It looks like a mosquito bite but its not. Its been here for over a week now. The scab peeled off. But the bump is still there. A few days...

View more questions Search