Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pet Friend Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 12:15 PM
    How much money would you spend to save your pet from cancer?
    We all love our pets, but I was wandering how much people really are willing to sacrifice if it comes to the choice: their pet or their hard earned money.
    $700? $1,000? $1,500? $3,000+?
    I am interested in how much we spend (or are willing to spend)
    KARIEMELIA Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Dec 15, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Whatever it takes!:cool:
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 12:24 PM

I don't know how much I would spend. We have two cats we rescued when they were kittens and they are a little more then a year old now. With all the shots getting them neutered. Then the infections from the cuts they give each other when they fight and the ring worm when they were kittens. Plus the eye infections that they just stopped getting about 3 months ago I would imagine we probably spent more then a thousand in a year. I guess if the Vet gave us a payment plan I would spend as much as it took. If they didn't give us a payment plan I do know how we would afford it.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Dec 15, 2008, 03:03 PM

The prognosis for cancer in animals is very very poor. At best, you can only prolong it's life by a few months, and you have to put the animal through all kinds of medical treatment.
    You have to consider this plus the cost.
    Is it worth putting your pet through this just so you can have a few more months with it?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 04:15 PM

It would depend on the chances of it actually helping the pet, and improving its quality of life, not its timeline of breathing.

I spent $1500 on a cat to find out what was wrong with it, only to find out after 2 months that the possibility of the cat recovering was low, and that it was going to have a very limited life even if we kept up treatments. At that point, it was time to let go.

Would I drop several thousand dollars on my pet? Absolutely! But not if it wasn't going to actually help my pet have a HAPPY life.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    It would depend on the chances of it actually helping the pet, and improving its quality of life, not its timeline of breathing.

I spent $1500 on a cat to find out what was wrong with it, only to find out after 2 months that the possibility of the cat recovering was low, and that it was going to have a very limited life even if we kept up treatments. At that point, it was time to let go.

Would I drop several thousand dollars on my pet? Absolutely! But not if it wasn't going to actually help my pet have a HAPPY life.

$5,400 two years ago because my Rott was young and the Vet thought he could save her life.

He was wrong.

Over the course of the last 5 years of my German Shepherd's life - two pills a day at 85 cents each plus the Vet visits plus the wheelchair ramp. I don't know. Probably in the range of $5,000.

I have health care insurance on the two dogs I have now. Both policies only cover catastrophic illness/injury.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 18, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Honestly, NOTHING, except the cost of euthanasia.

Yes, while they are part of our family, I couldn't see them going through all of the pain and suffering with no guarantees of a cure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much money would you spend to save your pet from cancer? [ 10 Answers ]

We all love our pets, but I was wandering how much people really are willing to sacrifice if it comes to the choice: their pet or their hard earned money? $700? $1,000? $1,500? $3,000+? I am interested in how much we spend (or are willing to spend)

Do we spend money on a wedding or just go to the courthouse? [ 2 Answers ]

My family is not really big on marriages and my parents already said before I got engaged they wouldn't pay for a wedding. My fiance' is the complete opposite and really wants a wedding and his family seems pretty big on a wedding too, but they have not offered to help finacially with the wedding....

Am I a brat because I get me feelings hurt when my boyfriend won't spend money on me? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend is a sweet man is always in tune with emotions and moods and the reasons for them. However, he won't hardly spend any money on me. I am the type of personality that "what's mine is yours" and I enjoy stocking my house with his favorite foods and cooking him dinner, picking up little...

$90,000 debt. $10,000 inheritance. How to best spend the money? [ 8 Answers ]

I am so glad for this resource!! =) Thanks for your time in examining my financial issues. I am a 30 year-old female living in Atlanta, GA. I rent an apartment in the city, for around $650 a month (thank God for tax-credit apartments!) =) I have the regular bills: electric ($70), water ($28), cell...

When I will have lots of money to spend without worrying, my own house and four wheel [ 2 Answers ]

When I will have lots of money to spend without worrying, my own house and four wheel

View more questions Search