Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knowidon'tknow Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Timer For Aboveground Pool Pump
    Hi! I am a pool novice. I have a frameset aboveground pool with a cheesy pump - 1/16 HP, 120V. It's plugged into a heavy duty garage outlet, but it's not clear if it's a GFCI. What kind of pump timer can I use that is safe and inexpensive, possibly GFCI? Thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2006, 09:29 AM
    1. The pool experience I have is with the pump running 24/7. Does yours only run at certain times - or on for a period and off for a period?

2. As for the pump itself, you don't want to get just any pump... you want to be sure to get one that is designed for the volume of your pool. Check with a local pool supply co. to confirm what's recommended for your pool.

3. GFCI is a designation of the outlet, not the pump. The pool-pump I last dealt with was plugged into a regular outlet, not GFCI... but I'm not positive if this is considered correct... you might ask the local pool guy this question too. If he says it needs plugged into a GFCI outlet, then that's easy. The outlet will cost you about $10 and anyone with a screwdriver can install it.

Hope that at least helps a little...

Jul 10, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Hiya, rickj! The pump came with the pool - a $200(!) Intex frame-set pool 14' diameter by 48". I get it that it's the outlet that would have the GFCI, but online I did see a timer that said it had its own built-in GFCI. I thought this might be a way to add safety. The pump specs say the motor can't handle running 24/7, and my folks are unreliable about plugging it in and out. I don't know how to match a timer the specs of the motor - is it voltage, hp, or what? And do I need a fancy one, or will one of those Radio shack Xmas light outdoor timers do? Thanks again!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Oh, I see now.

Yep, your basic timer like you describe will be just fine... as long as it's rated for the amperage (probably 15 or 20) of the outlet.

If the outlet were near the pool, then I'd make it GFCI, but being in the garage - and if it were me - I wouldn't worry about it.

But since you mention it - and will be getting a timer anyway, get one with GFCI and kill two birds with one stone.

Jul 10, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Ok, I think I'll do that. You've reassured me. I fear electricity.

"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Just to follow-up with some info, all storable pool pumps must be plugged into a GFI device, in the USA, as per the National Electric Code 2002 edition Section 680.32, no exceptions.

There is another section that requires all general purpose outlets in a garage to be GFI protected.

A timer with a built-in GFI is a great idea, wish I had thought of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220 Volt Pool Timer [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install an Intermatic Swimming Pool Mechanical Timer 220V - T104P3 to my exciting pump. I have two live wires coming from the breaker box which I labeled Line 1 & Line 2, there is also a ground wire. Then I have to wires coming from the pump which I labeled Load 1 & Load 2. I have...

Wiring Timer Clock, Off /On switch to Pool Pump [ 3 Answers ]

I recently replaced an underground electrical line for my pool pump. Now I'm not certain of the hookup from the main power (220)to the timer clock (also 220)into the manual off/on switch mounted in it's own box on the back of the timer box, to the pump motor. Can anyone help me here. It's a single...

Running a 110v Sw off a 220v pool timer [ 5 Answers ]

Help, I have a Pool timer that is wired 220V for the pool pump. I have a separate 110v wire that was switched from my guest house to turn the pool lights on. There is a short in that wire now, possibly a wire breakage in the cement from shifting? Anyway, I've since unhooked it. My question...

Shower timer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I googled shower timer and ended up here. Do you know of any instance where someone has installed a water timer above the showerhead for disabled person with upper body strength issues? Already tried putting a lever on the shower faucet and can't change the whole shower fixture. Seems like...

Pool pump motor [ 0 Answers ]

Our pool pump motor plug has been replaced twice because when you try to plug it in it sometimes sparks and other times gets so hot it fusses to the outlet. Is this cord not grounded inside motor? Or any other suggestions? The pool is inground the pump brand is Lomart 1 hp & the motor is a baldor...

View more questions Search