Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kazzleanne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 06:53 PM
    First time experience.
    Hey there,
    I live in Australia, I had the weirdest experience happen to me on Saturday night and have no idea what it was about or know who to talk to about it. I really want to know if it was a good or bad thing. Ok here I go.
    I fell asleep on my couch, my partner woke me up, I went to bed... I was wide awake my partner asleep next to me and all of a sudden my whole body went stiff and I couldn't move, it was like there was this massive weight on me but I couldn't move an inch. Then my breathing started getting heavy and it felt like my head was going to explode. Then all of a sudden there was this screaming in my ears, I had my eyes open and couldn't see anything but dark, the screaming got louder and louder. I tried to get my partners attention but couldn't cause I couldn't move. This happened 2 times. Was this a spirit? I have never had this happen before and just want to know what it was.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 9, 2006, 08:20 PM
    There is a stage of sleep that causes physical paralysis and it may be that you somehow managed to get there while still maintaining some level of consciousness. Or you may be experiencing being somewhat out of body and freaked yourself out in the process. I don't think I have ever encountered a spirit capable of doing harm, however a goodly number of live people had done so. It is our own prejudices that make the spirits seem scarey, like a bad misunderstanding.
    kazzleanne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 08:36 PM
    Hi val
    Its kind of disturbing as I am 28 years old and never experienced that ever. What do you think the screaming was? My brother passed away 2 years, do you think that he or someone else was trying to communicate with me. I wasn't asleep while this happened cause I was looking around room trying to work out what was happening
    Kazz:)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 10, 2006, 04:20 AM
    I would be tempted to look inward first. We humans are really good at "stuffing" things and then later "projecting" them on outside entities. Is there some bottled up angst on your part that if unfettered would love to let it out like that?

I am sorry to hear about your brother too.
    knowidon'tknow Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2006, 11:35 AM
    It does sound like sleep paralysis, although first experiences are usually in childhood or adolescence. I had it for years, and it still happens now and then - it's terrifying. Monsters or wolves or evil presences are in the room, and I would try to yell or move but could not. Don't know why the paralysis draws monsters to us - maybe it's the helplessness. A waking nightmare.
    JuLee Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 02:30 PM
    That happens a lot in the Asian culture... it is said to be a wandering spirit. You can sleep on your sides to avoid it laying on top of you (at times) but if you sleep on your back, IT will come and depending on how powerful and evil it is, it may hurt you and cause you to not be able to breath when its on top of you. This used to happen all the time to my sister... try praying to God for help if you want it to go away.
    NightAlone Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JuLee
    That happens alot in the Asian culture... it is said to be a wandering spirit. You can sleep on your sides to avoid it laying on top of you (at times) but if you sleep on your back, IT will come and depending on how powerful and evil it is, it may hurt you and cause you to not be able to breath when its on top of you. This used to happen all the time to my sister.... try praying to God for help if you want it to go away.

My dad has been to asian countries or something like that. Psh, like I pay attention. But anyway, He says that in some cultures, when they feel uncomfortable or sick, they lay on their stomachs. I don't know if it's like an old fashioned remedy or if it has something to do with spirits. Just humored me... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by knowidon'tknow
    It does sound like sleep paralysis, although first experiences are usually in childhood or adolescence. I had it for years, and it still happens now and then - it's terrifying. Monsters or wolves or evil presences are in the room, and I would try to yell or move but could not. Don't know why the paralysis draws monsters to us - maybe it's the helplessness. A waking nightmare.
    Hah, funny thing is, I know exactly what you're talking about. A waking nightmare is a good way to put it to. Why don't you take a look at my post... It was my first post and it has no replies. Hah. :cool:

Sep 20, 2006, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NightAlone
    Hah, funny thing is, I know exactly what you're talking about. A waking nightmare is a good way to put it to. Why don't you take a look at my post...It was my first post and it has no replies. Hah. :cool:
    Hi NightAlone! Are you being troubled by sleep paralysis? When I was a
    Tween/teenager I would even "fall asleep" on a bus on the way to the mall and be unable to move or awaken, but be fully aware I was on the bus and was going to miss my stop! When I was younger than that, I would have terrifying visions of Frankenstein coming up the stairs to the bedroom and standing in the doorway, but was never able to call out or go to my parents for help. Often in the mornings I would be paralyzed stuck in bed, knowing I had to get up but knowing I couldn't until someone came in the room or called me. Trapped in the doorway between sleep and awakening. :)

Sep 20, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by knowidon'tknow
    Hi NightAlone! Are you being troubled by sleep paralysis? When I was a
    tween/teenager I would even "fall asleep" on a bus on the way to the mall and be unable to move or awaken, but be fully aware I was on the bus and was going to miss my stop! When I was younger than that, I would have terrifying visions of Frankenstein coming up the stairs to the bedroom and standing in the doorway, but was never able to call out or go to my parents for help. Often in the mornings I would be paralyzed stuck in bed, knowing I had to get up but knowing I couldn't until someone came in the room or called me. Trapped in the doorway between sleep and awakening. :)
    Do you think that sleep paralysis can be a temporary condition in which younger people suffer through for a period? Obviously, since you were a teenager... But... I mean, a recalled two years of it? Haunted house? Sleep paralysis? You could be right. It's much more logical. Hah.

Sep 20, 2006, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NightAlone
    Do you think that sleep paralysis can be a temporary condition in which younger people suffer through for a period of time? Obviously, since you were a teenager...But...I mean, a recalled two years of it? Haunted house? Sleep paralysis? You could be right. It's much more logical. hah.
    Yes, it has pretty much passed for me (I am over 40). It began around age 6, and was intense through high school. Tapered off in college and happened less and less until the last episode I recall was about 6 years ago. So went from nightly to times per week then per month then spread out to a few times per year until.. . Nothing now. Are you thinking your house is haunted? That's a whole separate matter! As to kazzleanne's experience,
    My deceased brother has contacted me in funny ways one would barely notice - I think he or any benign relative spirit would know better than to scare you in bed at night!

Sep 21, 2006, 04:46 AM
    Well, I guess it's settled then. Sleep paralysis. Bummer...
    lengkyx Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Feb 15, 2008, 07:32 PM
    I believe what you experienced was just a dream. I dreamt about myself in bed. It seemed so real because of the color, everything that I saw in my room before I slept were there. If I left the light on, it's on in that dream. The only difference is that I can't move. The more I get tense trying to get up, the harder it gets. It just tires me out. So what I do is try to relax and then soon enough I wake up from it. I'm not sure what's causing it. But I hope this information helps. Some people think it's real and their solution is a prayer. I think the prayer made the smooth or seamless transition from state of sleep and state of consciousness. I always forget to pray during those times, :D I think that's the reason why I can tell the difference of the dream and being awake.
    katrina27 Posts: 92, Reputation: 13

Feb 16, 2008, 03:27 PM
    I have suffered from sleep paraltysis form years.
    I wake up and cannot move, followed by what I feel is a dark force sitting on me. Sometimes a witch. Other times a very powerful man. I am used to it now, but it is terrifying.and very real.
    I truly attribute this to diet. Just because I used to have problems eating. I was dieting a lot hardly eating. I think this is what brought on this paralysis/hallucinations. Think of spiritual people fasting and having visions.
    Once I started eating these visits died down.
    Does any of this ring true with you? The food thing?
    faye7 Posts: 56, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzleanne
    Hey there,
    I live in Australia, i had the weirdest experience happen to me on Saturday night and have no idea what it was about or know who to talk to about it. I really want to know if it was a good or bad thing. Ok here i go.
    I fell asleep on my couch, my partner woke me up, i went to bed... I was wide awake my partner asleep next to me and all of a sudden my whole body went stiff and i couldnt move, it was like there was this massive weight on me but i couldnt move an inch. Then my breathing started getting heavy and it felt like my head was going to explode. Then all of a sudden there was this screaming in my ears, i had my eyes open and couldnt see anything but dark, the screaming got louder and louder. I tried to get my partners attention but couldnt cause i couldnt move. This happened 2 times. Was this a spirit? I have never had this happen before and just want to know what it was.
    I have had this to happen to me also and yes it is a spirit the next time in your mind call on the name of jesus and it will leave you alone call on him in your mind,and put a knife and a fork under your pillow at night it strange but it works
    faye7 Posts: 56, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 07:01 AM
    No matter how far fetched this sounds it true. I have been through the same thing and only calling on jesus name helped me. Start to pray more because it can get worst someone around you could be praticing withcraft, someone may want your house or man

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need experience [ 3 Answers ]

Please help. I have an AAS in Criminal Justice and am looking for either an investigations position or fingerprint technician position. Every single job I've found wants you to have at least one year experience, this includes the entry level positions I've seen. How and where can I get this...

Experience [ 19 Answers ]

I broke up w. my GF the other day and Im not sure why? What I mean is, nothing was wrong really, we didn't fight, we got along well, physically things were great. I just wasn't content with the feeling of having a "luke warm" relationship.. and I felt like it was affecting my career or...

Have You Had a Near Death Experience? [ 3 Answers ]

Presented below is my "near death" experience. Those of you who have truly had one, please share your experience. Dr. O.S. Hawkins used to say, "An inward impression, without an outward expression, is depression." That's part of the reason why I wanted to share with you the "near death"...

View more questions Search