Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diamond0327 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 08:44 PM
    What do I need to do about a summon from the court
    I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $4000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I am aware that hiring a lawyer is probably the best option, but I am not sure I can afford one. The summons mentions that I have21 days to file a written answer with the court. If I am currently undergoing hardship how do I respond, and to which court as the court of origin is not the court issuing the summons. I would appreciate any help in this matter, or information would be appreciated.
    MishGA Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Dec 14, 2008, 09:18 PM

They are betting on the chance you are NOT going to respond so they can get a default judgement against you. I know someone who received one YEARS ago, they contacted a lawyer, the lawyer responded and filed for a jury trial... the company doing the suing NEVER filed back and it's still waiting for their day in court. They have huge ground to counter sue since the company suing lied and turned around and SOLD the account to someone else shortly after the ones being sued responded.

I would look up budhibbs.com a lot of good info to start research with. And will help you start going from there. Will also tell you what type of attorney to look for... I believe an NACA attorney? Might need to double check that.

Trust me, you will want to learn as much as you can about this. When helping out my friend, they were too paralized with fear to research it, but when I started uncovering the truth about the schemes they started to breath again... There is hope, you have more rights then you realise and it's very likely they have already been violated!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond0327 View Post
    I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $4000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I am aware that hiring a lawyer is probably the best option, but I am not sure I can afford one. The summons mentions that I have21 days to file a written answer with the court. If I am currently undergoing hardship how do I respond, and to which court as the court of origin is not the court issuing the summons. I would appreciate any help in this matter, or information would be appreciated.

To begin with, you can't be legally served ONLY by mail unless they have a Court order to do so, which I strongly doubt.

Is it possible the Summons was either affixed to your door or someone in your household was personally served on your behalf and this is the follow up to perfect service?

Is the debt within the statute to collect in your State - they have to file the papers with the Court within a certain time frame or they cannot collect using the Courts. That would be your response/answer - the debt is out of Statute. Can't tell without more info. Also I would argue bad service.

If the summons is legitimate you MUST respond or they will get a default Judgment.

I would make sure this is a legal Summons and not some Summons-looking document which I've known collection agencies to use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to respond to a court summon [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, all, Please help... I received a court summon today (sept 26th, 2008), which states that I am being sued by Brachfeld & Associates (plaintiff CACH, LLC) for a debt of $1125.00 that I owned them plus interests. I have 30 days to respond, but in the court letter, it said it was filed on...

Summon to appear in court [ 1 Answers ]

I received a summons for my mother to appear in court for a credit card debt. She doesn't live here in Chicago anymore, she moved to FL. I wrote a court appearance on her behalf on or before June 9th, as what summoned stated? What will happen next? Can I file bankruptcy on her behalf here in...

Magistrate Court Summon [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a full-time student without a UK drivers licence ( I do have international), I was caught driving a car without insurance or MOT and I have been summoned to court. Please what's the worst that could happen? Could u also advice on how I need to fill the form that has been sent to me,...

Court Summon [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I mistakenly received my friends summon. Now he is not interested in collecting it from me. What should I do now? Can I return the summon back to court? Please advise. Thanks and Regards, Deva.

View more questions Search