Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fallen88 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Low connectivity or no connectivity.
    So I have been using my computer for a long time with out any problems and a couple days ago my computer has been going really slow and keeps disconnecting and the signal strength says "low or no connectivity". My computer is wireless gateway and it recives its internet dsl signal from my land computer which I also got a cuple days ago but even then it worked for awhile which is also a gateway.

So I tried repairing connection and taking off the firewall and reseting the modem but its still says low signal and when I do disconnect from the network connection it says its at full bars and detects it completely but when I connect to it it goes back to one bar.

Oh and you my laptop is a xp and my other land computer is a vista
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 14, 2008, 11:13 PM
    how do you connect to the internet? Direct medium or wireless?
    if wireless what kind of router?
    if direct what kind of NIC?

Either way what I would do is rollback the device drivers for the network interface card whether it's connected wireless or direct. Once you've rolled back the drivers see if that fixes your problem, also you can try to update the drivers as well.

Maybe the lag is due to the shared bandwidth, maybe your ISP broadened their tree. Because as we know when out media companies say we get 5 Meg internet we know that's not true it's 5 Mb all right split among X amount of people.

Let me know if the driver thing works out!

Dec 15, 2008, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    how do you connect to the internet? direct medium or wireless?
    if wireless what kind of router?
    if direct what kind of NIC?

Either way what I would do is rollback the device drivers for the network interface card whether it's connected wireless or direct. Once you've rolled back the drivers see if that fixes your problem, also you can try to update the drivers as well.

Maybe the lag is due to the shared bandwidth, maybe your ISP broadened their tree. Becaus as we know when out media companies say we get 5 Meg internet we know thats not true it's 5 Mb alright split among X amount of people.

Let me know if the driver thing works out!

Well its wireless dsl and I'm not sure how to do all that =o
    It's a bit strange since when I disconnect from it its at full strength and green bars but when I connects its back down to one bar. My dad gets his wireless from that computer to but he does not have that problem.

Is it maybe because She just changed the computer to vista?
    Networking Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 09:14 AM
    I don't think it has anything to do with Vista maybe in the transition it ed up the driver changeover but that is why I suggested to rollback the driver, here's how!

Step 1: make sure there is an icon for "my computer" on the sdesktop.
    Step 2: right-click and select "manage"

A screen should come up saying computer manager

Step 3: on the left side of the screen, in the list of tools, click device manager
    Step 4: when you click device manager it will change the right side to a list of all devices on your computer. Click on the "network adapters" + tab
    Step 5: right click on your wireless adapter and click properties.

Now if you're not givenan option to rollback your driver you can disable it and reenable it!

Step 6: when the new screen comes up, click on the driver tab, if rollback is not lit up then click disable, restart your PC, then renable the driver see if that works, if not try updating your driver, it's in the same screen as disable.

Let me know if this works!

Dec 16, 2008, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    i don't think it has anything to do with Vista maybe in the transition it ed up the driver changeover but that is why i suggested to rollback the driver, here's how!

step 1: make sure there is an icon for "my computer" on the sdesktop.
    step 2: right-click and select "manage"

a screen should come up saying computer manager

step 3: on the left side of the screen, in the list of tools, click device manager
    step 4: when you click device manager it will change the right side to a list of all devices on your computer. click on the "network adapters" + tab
    step 5: right click on your wireless adapter and click properties.

Now if you're not givenan option to rollback your driver you can disable it and reenable it!

step 6: when the new screen comes up, click on the driver tab, if rollback is not lit up then click disable, restart your PC, then renable the driver see if that works, if not try updating your driver, it's in the same screen as disable.

let me know if this works!

Ok I did it but no rollback option and I did update it. Still the same =[

How ever my mom did say that she thought it was the ports of her computer or something and that if she opened them or something that it would fix it... she didn't tell me too much.

Dec 16, 2008, 01:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen88 View Post
    Ok I did it but no rollback option and I did update it. Still the same =[

How ever my mom did say that she thought it was the ports of her computer or something and that if she opened them or something that it would fix it....she didn't tell me to much.
    Actually I went scrounging through the menus and I came across the roll back option somewhere in a device menu and it worked :D

Thanks a lot it's a strong connection now!

Dec 16, 2008, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen88 View Post
    actually I went scrounging through the menus and I came across the roll back option somewhere in a device menu and it worked :D

thanks a lot its a strong connection now!
    Oh oh ._.

Well I found the problem. Apparently I was trying to enable my computer to share network connection so I could use my xbox live from an ether net cable and so I did it again and when I enabled to share networks it went and gave me low connectivity again and I couldn't roll back because their wasn't anything backed up. It did say that if I did do that that my computer would have a hard time receiving network signals or something static

I also tried to uninstall the driver but it did nothing. I tried to take off what I did but it didn't do anything.
    Networking Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
    So when it did finally show high connectivity, could you play your XBOX?

RICK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AOL One-Click Connectivity Fix [ 11 Answers ]

Hello E1, I would like to know how to re-install "aol connectivity & aol one-click fix".. I have been in touch with AOL tech support and they told me to use the one click fix,but I can't find the fix anywhere :confused: Can someone point me in the right direction for this fix please....

AOL connectivity &aol one-click fix [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to re- install "aol connectivity& aol one-click fix"?

Connectivity [ 3 Answers ]

I was uploading quite a bit of material (novel) yesterday and about half way through uploading the chapters, it stopped uploading them and flashed a note that I needed to chick my connectivity. I use a Gateway computer and AOL software. Can you explain to me how I go about checking for...

AOL Connectivity [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been having an issue with AOL 9.0 Security Edition. For some reason over the past month I have been getting kicked off it constantly. At first it happened infrequently but now it happens ever few minutes and is to the point where it is not usable at all. I had no issues before the past...

View more questions Search