Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simplequery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Taxes on money transferred from a foreign country to USA
    I am a student on F1 visa studying in Ohio. I am scheduled to get 25000$ wire transferred from a foreign country. Will this amount be taxable when it lands in USA?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 04:07 AM

No, it is not taxable in the U.S. if it is gift, loan or your own money.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 11:57 AM
    What MukatA says is true, but the wiring of that amount of money WILL require that you fill out some paperwork at the bank to properly identify the source of the money.
    hamlet004 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 02:11 PM

How would you prove that it is in fact a gift or loan?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 10:37 AM
    By showing the original source of the money (to prove the gift), or by showing a promissary note (to prove the loan).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on inheritance or gift originating from a foreign country? [ 6 Answers ]

Would I have to pay taxes on gifts or inheritance that I may receive from a family member in a foreign country? Amount may be in seven figures. If so, anyone know if there are any loopholes that I may be able to take advantage of? And how much in taxes do I have to pay? Any response would be...

Taxes on International Heritance transferred to the US [ 10 Answers ]

I am of Eastern Europe origin. My family overseas has just won a 15 years lawsuit against a East European government owned company. The dispute was a piece of land that belonged to my grandfather. We (my overseas family and I) are now the rightful owner of this piece of land. We will be selling...

Tax on remuneration in a foreign country [ 1 Answers ]

Iam a government doctor employed in a teaching hospital in lucknow from where I draw my salary. Presently, I have been invited by a university in France as a teaching researcher on contract for conducting some research work for a period of 4 months. During this period I will receive salary in india...

Inheritance From Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Long, lost family member died in 2002 in Malaysia. I am sole surviving heir. After paying for services rendered in Malaysia for transferring the estate to me, my net gain expected to be $1.4MM. Since only $1MM is excluded from inheritance or income taxes on deaths occurring in 2002, what...

OPT transferred to H1B - Filing of Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, 1. My OPT began on the 3rd of July and I started work in the 1st week of August on my OPT. 2. My H1B got approved in Oct 2006 and I am still continuing to work at the same employer now on my H1B. 3. Due to the lack of knowledge; my employer kept deducting H1B taxes from me even while I...

View more questions Search