Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mb444 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Smoky Cellar
    I have a fireplace on the first floor and whenever I have a fire, the cellar smokes up like crazy. It appears there is another flue that could be hooked up to a wood stove in the cellar but the hole is covered up. How do I fix this?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 07:58 PM

I am a mason/chimmney expert. So far you have a firepalce first floor a crock hole in basemsnt . 101 chimmneys. The fireplace has to have its own flue by law so it works right and has its own dectiacted exaust. Now the hole in the basement does it have an old tin covering the opening? Look at your chimmney top outside. How many flues are sticking out? Do you have a boiler or furnace that uses a chimmney. Can you identify closely where the smell in the basment starts from. Also does your fireplace have a medal flip door inside the firebox for ash dump or added air flow for the firebox. Be careful smoke means gases and hot sparks travel. I need more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoky smell [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought a house and I've noticed that the upstairs often smells of cigarette smoke. I haven't actually seen anyone smoking outside, so I can't identify exactly where the smoke might be coming from. Is there a more effective way than filters for me to get rid of the smoke smell? Thanks.

Cellar Plumbing [ 4 Answers ]

The cast iron cellar drain that services 1st & 2nd floor kitchen sinks, cellar laundry utility tub and cellar clothes washer has deteriorated and digging up the cement floor to replace it and hope there are no problems tying into the soil pipe could result in more problems than solutions. ...

Smoky mower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We just replaced the blade on our riding lawnmower, so it was tipped over for days while we found one to fit. When we tipped it back over, there was an oil leakage. Now, when we start it, thick smoke comes out. He says it's "flooded" but doesn't know what to do. Any help? Thanks, Jessica

Best way to fill in old cellar [ 2 Answers ]

I actually saw a post on this site for filling in a hole in the yard. This hole I think is considerably larger. I'm considering following the advice given there, and trying to fill this hole with soil. The hole appears to be an old cellar for an older house that used to stand on the property. ...

Is my cellar toilet vent OK? [ 1 Answers ]

A toilet in the basement drains to the floor with no vent in sight. There is a vertical "wet" vent about 15 feet away that drains (among other things) a third floor washing machine. It also vents out the attic roof. When the washer drains, there is gurgling and swirling in the cellar toilet...

View more questions Search