Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marianne2641 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Firewall will not permit 2nd house computer with router
    I have a computer in another room, linked to the main computer with a wireless router. I have no idea how to tell the firewall about this particular computer, and distinguish it from a possible hacker computer. I get many messages, but I cannot tell one IP address from another... I do not understand most of the messages.

I had my daughter send me a message to my personal website to see what her IP address is... it is the same as mine... but I do not see her on the firewall list..

I am confused as to all the terminology which pops up without any real explanation... I just block everything I do not understand.

I go this firewall because I thought someone was hacking into mine, and I do not want to accidentally allow a bad link... trying to connect my daughter.

How do I connect the 2nd computer on the home network to my computer? :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2008, 05:46 PM

The address you see from outside is your modem's address. The router takes that address and assigns private addresses to your PCs, usually in the 192.168.x.x range. To find out your IP, you need to get to a Command prompt and type IPCONFIG /all.

What makes you think it's the firewall? What messages do you get?

Dec 14, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The address you see from outside is your modem's address. The router takes that address and assigns private addresses to your PCs, usually in the 192.168.x.x range. To find out your IP, you need to get to a Command prompt and type IPCONFIG /all.

What makes you think its the firewall? what messages do you get?
    Where do I go to get a command prompt?

All this started when I installed COMODO... firewall... the thing does NOT come with real instructions for the non-IT user.

I know my IP address, because I can go to...
    What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP Address Location (Trace IP/Track IP)
    And it automatically shows me my address.

I also have a private website and when people leave comments, I can see their IP address. I told my daughter to make a comment to see what hers was... so I know both IP addresses.

I do not know how to tell the firewall to let my daughter access the internet via the router... her connection stopped when I installed the firewall.

Dec 14, 2008, 06:15 PM

That sites shows your PUBLIC IP, That's the one assigned to your router, NOT thde one assigned to your PC by the router.

To get to a command prompt go to Start and Run CMD.

Dec 14, 2008, 06:31 PM
    That sites shows your PUBLIC IP, That's the one assigned to your router, NOT thde one assigned to your PC by the router.

I went to run... then typed in cmd... I just got a black screen. So now what?

Dec 14, 2008, 06:34 PM

Ok wait... I typed in what you said... it says, among other things... routing is disabled.

So what do I do?

What is a dns responder? I keep getting messages about that... I notice it says something about dns on the screen

Dec 14, 2008, 06:50 PM

Without seeing what it actually says I can't tell. But in there will be your IP address.

I don't know if the firewall is the problem. I'm not familiar with that firewall, but most firewalls are local meaning they control access to the PC they are installed on. That shouldn't affect other access to the router.

Dec 14, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Without seeing what it actually says I can't tell. But in there will be your IP address.

I don't know if the firewall is the problem. I'm not familiar with that firewall, but most firewalls are local meaning they control access to the PC they are installed on. That shouldn't affect other access to the router.

Ok... so what are the different things that would prevent the 2nd computer to connect via the router?

Is there a way on the black screen to enable the router? A command I can use?

Dec 14, 2008, 07:18 PM

The first thing to do is check if the other PC is connecting to the router. Does it get an IP from the router? Does the Network icon show a connection?

Dec 14, 2008, 07:46 PM
    The first thing to do is check if the other PC is connecting to the router. Does it get an IP from the router? Does the Network icon show a conection?
    That is the whole problem... the other PC is not connected or it would be able to access the internet through the router.

Windows IP configuration says IP routing enabled... no

What do you mean by the network icon? How would the Firefox icon show a connection to another computer?

Dec 14, 2008, 07:53 PM

Firefox is a browser not the network. There is a network icon in the tray area that shows the connection. What version of Windows on both PCs? Did you run the Network wizard?

Dec 14, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Firefox is a browser not the network. There is a network icon in the tray area that shows the connection. What version of Windows on both PCs? Did you run the Network wizard?
    I have a local network, by using a wizard, with her computer.

Both use windows xp

Dec 15, 2008, 06:45 AM

In the tray area is an icon that looks like two PCs overlapping. That is your network icon. There may be multiple ones for wired and wireless connections. You need to check to see what the status of the connection on her PC is.

Dec 15, 2008, 09:34 AM
    In the tray area is an icon that looks like two PCs overlapping. That is your network icon. There may be multiple ones for wired and wireless connections. You need to check to see what the status of the connection on her PC is.
    The internet is disconnected. It says disabled. Just like it did on the black screen.

So how do I enable her internet connection? She uses a router to my computer, and it was working until I installed the firewall.

Dec 15, 2008, 12:05 PM

Ok, What you should have is your broadband modem which connects to your router. Then each computer connects to the router either via an Ethernet cable or wirelessly (using WiFi). Try removing the existing wireless LAN connection on her PC from the Network icon in Control Panel. Then reboot and rerun the wizard.

Dec 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Ok, What you should have is your broadband modem which connects to your router. Then each computer connects to the router either via an Ethernet cable or wirelessly (using WiFi). Try removing the existing wireless LAN connection on her PC from the Network icon in Control Panel. Then reboot and rerun the wizard.
    OK... I did that and it is still blocked... it says disabled, firewalled on the icon. :confused:

How do I tell the firewall to allow my daughter's computer to have access to internet?

Thank you

Dec 15, 2008, 01:49 PM

You need to contact tech support for that firewall then or uninstall it. If its somehow blocking other PCs from the network, you have to configure it.

Dec 15, 2008, 01:52 PM
    You need to contact tech support for that firewall then or uninstall it. If its somehow blocking other PCs from the network, you have to configure it.
    OK... there should be a way to tell the firewall what computers are allowed on the network... I have looked around on the menu and do not see anything helpful... I tried tech support forums, and no one has answered...

Last effort will be to uninstall firewall if all else fails.

Thanks

Dec 15, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marianne2641 View Post
    OK..... there should be a way to tell the firewall what computers are allowed on the network...I have looked around on the menu and do not see anything helpful.....I tried tech support forums, and no one has answered....

last effort will be to uninstall firewall if all else fails.

thanks
    This situation is hopeless... there is no one to talk to about allowing a second computer on the firewall...

I checked her computer, and it does not have an IP address... according to...
    IPCONFIG/all :(

Dec 15, 2008, 07:31 PM

Then uninstall that firewall

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't my iPod TOUCH pick up the router and DNS numbers from my computer? [ 1 Answers ]

My new Ipod TOUCH won't connect to my internet. I did "connect" to my wireless internet (I put in the password and everything) but for some reason it will only pick up the IP address and Sebnet mask, not the required Router and DNS. Will someone please help me?

One computer can see my router, one can not [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, my intention is to connect comp1 to router via ethernet cable and comp2 via wireless, however comp2 can not see my router. Equipment: comp1-XP Pro, comp2-XP Home, router-Belkin Wireless G (F5D7230-4), Vivanco WLAN USB (802.11 b/g), Virgin broadband cable If I put the WLAN USB on comp2 it...

Have router but computer tries to dial-up [ 1 Answers ]

Hay, my computer is a dell PC with a pentium 3 processor and xp. I'm a student andlive in a house where the router is upstairs and a I need connect my PC using my wireless card to the router upstairs. I've been able to get my card to find our houses server and establish a connection with the router...

View more questions Search