Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marianne2641 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Then uninstall that firewall
    I did uninstall it...

My daughter's computer is still disabled. It thinks the firewall is still present.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2008, 08:13 PM

I'm sorry, but not being familiar with that firewall, I don't know how else to help. The only other thing I can think of is try going back to a restore point before you installed the firewall.

Dec 15, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm sorry, but not being familiar with that firewall, I don't know how else to help. The only other thing I can think of is try going back to a restore point before you installed the firewall.
    We will try that tomorrow, or I will while she is at work... I was sick of trying today.

Dec 17, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marianne2641 View Post
    we will try that tomorrow, or I will while she is at work....I was sick of trying today.

Well, I tried. There is no firewall on my computer except what windows has... I should have realized I already had the one firewall, and not put the other on.

At one point, I tried adding what I thought was my daughter's IP address on the wireless network ( internet) connection, and then later realized maybe that was not her address, but the address for Yahoo. Once, I went to IPCONFIG/all, and she had no IP address, then later the next day, it was there... so I need to go back and find out what IP addresses are listed as OK... but I cannot find where I was... I have clicked on everything I can think of and that screen just does not come up.

It was a menu for adding IP addresses to the internet connection on my host computer... can you tell me where to look? Maybe this will fix the problem

My daughter still does not have internet via the router.
    theecho Posts: 59, Reputation: 9

Dec 17, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Is her computer wired or wireless? I agree with ScottGem in the fact that a software firewall should only restrict the PC which it is on. The router is the place at which I would begin. If the computer is wireless move it to the router and try it wired to see the results. Try bypassing the router to see if you can get an ip address from start-> run-> cmd-> ipconfig /all. The only way that I can think that a software firewall would affect the other computer is if ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is turned on and used to manage the 2 pcs.

Dec 17, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by theecho View Post
    Is her computer wired or wireless? I agree with ScottGem in the fact that a software firewall should only restrict the pc which it is on. The router is the place at which i would begin. If the computer is wireless move it to the router and try it wired to see the results. Try bypassing the router to see if you can get an ip address from start-> run-> cmd-> ipconfig /all. The only way that I can think that a software firewall would affect the other computer is if ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is turned on and used to manage the 2 pcs.
    I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I am not too Tech oriented.

I have her IP address now. It just did not show up the other day when the second firewall was installed. Reason unknown.

Each computer ONLY has the windows firewall installed on its computer. The COMODO firewall is gone.

She cannot connect yet to the internet

She has a wireless router which used to work, until the 2nd firewall was installed. So the set up was correct.

So when I uninstalled it, the router should have worked again, but it doesn't.

Dec 17, 2008, 10:09 AM
    How was the firewall uninstalled? I know that some firewalls require a special removal program otherwise it can corrupt something called your "tcp/ip stack". Also what is her IP address?

Dec 17, 2008, 10:10 AM
    how was the firewall uninstalled? I know that some firewalls require a special removal program otherwise it can corrupt something called your "tcp/ip stack". Also what is her IP address?
    I went to "my programs" and did an uninstall.

Am I supposed to give out private IP addresses? :confused:

Dec 17, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Private ip addresses are just that... private. It is assigned from your router so if you would like further help... a private ip address would be of help:)

This post is in a satirical mood. I am not being mean in any way:)

Dec 17, 2008, 10:19 AM
    private ip addresses are just that...private. it is assigned from your router so if you would like further help... a private ip address would be of help:)

this post is in a satirical mood. i am not being mean in any way:)
    How can knowing my private IP address on the 2nd computer help? I am just being cautious...

I am also trying to locate where I list IP addresses as part of the network communications... I did it once, wrong maybe, and now I want to correct this... how do I find this spot on my computer? I have looked everywhere... I cannot remember where I went.

Dec 17, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Depending upon the ip address it will show exactly how it is connecting or is not connecting. If it is a 192.168 then it is connected to the router or something else that has a dhcp client. If it is a 169.254 then the computer is self assigning an ip address. Please provide the ip address and xxx the last of the octet and it will allow me to continue troubleshooting.

Dec 17, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Depending upon the ip address it will show exactly how it is connecting or is not connecting. if it is a 192.168 then it is connected to the router or something else that has a dhcp client. if it is a 169.254 then the computer is self assigning an ip address. please provide the ip address and xxx the last of the octet and it will allow me to continue troubleshooting.

IP 169.254.164.40

Mask 255.255.0.0

Dec 17, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Ok... with a 169.254 address this is going to tell me that it is in fact not connecting to the router at all which is why you cannot get to the internet. A 169.254 is not a valid ip address. Are you able to directly connect this PC to the router for testing purposes?

Dec 17, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Ok... with a 169.254 address this is going to tell me that it is in fact not connecting to the router at all which is why you cannot get to the internet. A 169.254 is not a valid ip address. Are you able to directly connect this pc to the router for testing purposes?

The 2nd PC has a ton of stuff attached to it. It is in a different room. Not sure.

Like I said, the connection set up USED to work... now it doesn't

Is there any other way to test it without disconnecting all my daughter's stuff and bringing it into this room? She is not here. She is at work.

My modem is on the floor under the desk. It almost kills me to get under there. The belkin is on top of my desk, so that part is easier.

Dec 17, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Well what security do you have on the router? WEP, WPA, wireless mac filtering? If you do not know this, then you may want to try resetting the router then re-setup the security for the router.

Dec 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Ok... with a 169.254 address this is going to tell me that it is in fact not connecting to the router at all which is why you cannot get to the internet. A 169.254 is not a valid ip address. Are you able to directly connect this pc to the router for testing purposes?
    PS... The connection Used to say the 192 number, but when I saw that when the second firewall was up, I was sent alerts that drove me crazy. I thought it was someone hacking into the computer. I kept denying the request when the alert came up.

other changes I have made ( somewhere)
    change IP address on my connections to the 169 number - I cannot find this spot and need help locating it, so I can change it back to the 192
    computer name = daughter's name on both computers... confusion.:confused:

Dec 17, 2008, 10:50 AM
    well what security do you have on the router? WEP, WPA, wireless mac filtering? If you do not know this, then you may want to try resetting the router then re-setup the security for the router.

I have no clue.

What is WEP, WPA?

We have PCs, not a mac

Dec 17, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Well MAC refers to mac address filtering not the operating system itself. If you login into your router (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) there should be a client list. If you need to contact belkin for support with that their number is 8002235546 options 2-2-6-3 and you will get a "live" representative.

Dec 17, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Well MAC refers to mac address filtering not the operating system itself. If you login into your router (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) there should be a client list. If you need to contact belkin for support with that their number is 8002235546 options 2-2-6-3 and you will get a "live" representative.
    How do I login to the router?

Dec 17, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Go to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in a web browser on the main computer. I cannot tell you what the username and password are for that router because I do not use belkin routers myself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't my iPod TOUCH pick up the router and DNS numbers from my computer? [ 1 Answers ]

My new Ipod TOUCH won't connect to my internet. I did "connect" to my wireless internet (I put in the password and everything) but for some reason it will only pick up the IP address and Sebnet mask, not the required Router and DNS. Will someone please help me?

One computer can see my router, one can not [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, my intention is to connect comp1 to router via ethernet cable and comp2 via wireless, however comp2 can not see my router. Equipment: comp1-XP Pro, comp2-XP Home, router-Belkin Wireless G (F5D7230-4), Vivanco WLAN USB (802.11 b/g), Virgin broadband cable If I put the WLAN USB on comp2 it...

Have router but computer tries to dial-up [ 1 Answers ]

Hay, my computer is a dell PC with a pentium 3 processor and xp. I'm a student andlive in a house where the router is upstairs and a I need connect my PC using my wireless card to the router upstairs. I've been able to get my card to find our houses server and establish a connection with the router...

View more questions Search