Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klk63 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Upgrading Hard Drive
    I have to upgrade an old computer's hard drive and I have a few questions.
    If anyone could help that would be great! What special hardware will be needed to allow the new hard drive to work with the old computer? Also is there any software or firmware issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks
    Here_To_Help- Jon Posts: 97, Reputation: 26

Jul 9, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Need some details. What operating system in on the PC? Is the new drive a secondary drive or primary (with Windows, boot sector and all that)? Is new drive USB connected?
    klk63 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 02:29 PM
    The computer has an AMD K6 processor, it currently has a Western Digital Caviar Hard disk - the AC3100. It is running windows 98, but I have to upgrade it to Windows XP because of the hard drive I want to install (it recommends xp) Is there any hardware or software that I will need to get this thing running?

Thanks
    Courtney
    Here_To_Help- Jon Posts: 97, Reputation: 26

Jul 9, 2006, 02:33 PM
    Do you want to keep what is on the old hard drive and copy it to the new drive? Do you have a plan for that? I am assuming you have a copy Windows XP. I believe you put in the new drive, then boot from the Win XP CD to install it on the drive. I defer to others here on the board as Ive nevr had to do this.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klk63
    The computer has an AMD K6 processor, it currently has a Western Digital Caviar Hard disk - the AC3100. It is running windows 98, but I have to upgrade it to Windows XP because of the hard drive I want to install (it recomends xp) Is there any hardware or software that I will need to get this thing running?

Thanks
    Courtney
    Ok from the specs you have posted it would be a BAD idea to try an XP upgrade.

The K6 really doesn't have enough power to handle it, I was going to write wellie but not sure if you know what I mean.
    It will work but will be extremely slow.
    You best bet is to find and older IDE hard drive that will work with WIn98, either try a local computer fair or even Ebay.
    Here's an Ebay example.

BAsically you looking for a lower capacity drive than the one you are probably looking at, up to about 40 Gig would be best.

It's then a relativily simple task of setting the jumpers to "Slave" mode and attaching it to the same cable as your current main Drive. You main drive neds to be jumpered to "Master". (Check manufacturers aite for jumper settings)
    This way you get to keep all the data, don't need to mess about with an unneeded upgrade and save yourself a load of money.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2006, 03:08 PM
    The hard drive specs recommend XP?? That would be the first time I have ever seen that. The HD doesn't care what OS you install, as long as you have the proper cabling (EIDE vs SATA) and a recent enough BIOS that will recognize the large size.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Used hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I put a used hard drive in my computer,and tried to install windows 98 it keeps saying that the drive is dirty and it needs cleaning,How do I do that?

Cannot see hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have a compaq desk pro en trying to load win 98 . Promt says I have no hard drive or cannot read hard drive What could be wrong?

Pc hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

? Dose anyone know if I put a larger hard drive in my old pc can you transfer every thing from the c drive to the new dard drive and I mean everything? If so how is it done? It can't be as simple as copy and paste C drive to D drive. Thanks for ay help. Bob H

View more questions Search