Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Herbert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Cutting rafters
    How do I figure out the length and seat cut of rafters if my building is 8ft. Wide with a 6/12 pitch
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jul 9, 2006, 01:17 PM
    To figure out the rafter length from ridge to the seat cut, you take the run and times it by the number (6 pitch) on the framing square, minus 3/4" (which is 1/2 the thickness of the ridge).

Or I can tell you the rafters should be 4'-5 5/8" long from ridge to seat cut.

If you plan on doing rafters and/or stairs go pick up Swanson's Little "blue book" for rafters and stairs. This book is usually included when you purchase a Swansons speed square. It is actually a little blue book.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Get the little blue book! Use the Swansons speed square to make your cuts. Use the "Common" marks on the speed square. If you use a ridgeboard, (2x) deduct 3/4 of an inch from overall length just as skiberger said. To cut your birds mouth, or angle cut that sits on wall, mark the plumb cut, at 4/12 or 5/12 or whatever, measure "up" however deep you want it, then square off the plumb line to mark the part that sits on top plate.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2006, 11:40 AM
    There is software on the internet that does this for you and let's you decide the truss style for most efficient use of wood (based on roof load). Of coarse, your roof load would be negilgable. Search on the WEB you should find some free-ware.
    zebo28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by skiberger
    To figure out the rafter length from ridge to the seat cut, you take the run and times it by the number (6 pitch) on the framing square, minus 3/4" (which is 1/2 the thickness of the ridge).

Or I can tell you the rafters should be 4'-5 5/8" long from ridge to seat cut.

If you plan on doing rafters and/or stairs go pick up Swanson's Little "blue book" for rafters and stairs. This book is usually included when you purchase a Swansons speed square. It is actually a little blue book.

The pitch is a relationship between rise to run
    In this case the rise is 6.5 inches per foot of run,which is half the building span.. ( 4 ft in this case )
    Mulitply the run by the pitch... 4 x 6.5=26
    26 inches is the total rise of the rafter
    To get the length of the rafter simply apply A squared + B squared = C squared

48 inches is the rafter run & 26 inches is the rafter rise

48 x48 = 2304
    26 x 26 = 676
    2304 + 676 = 2980
    square root of 2980 =54.58

rafter length to seat cut = 4'- 6 5/8 inches minus 3/4 " for half the thicknes of the ridge assuming using 1-1/2" stock

Rafter length = 4' 5 7/8 "
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Oct 22, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Or you can buy a little blue book and save all the math.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seat Cut Rafters [ 4 Answers ]

I'm building a garage and want to use 2 x 6 rafters gable roof. How do I figure the length of the rafters and the angle of the plum and seat cut? I'm just pouring the slab. Then I'll build the walls and then the rafters, decking and composition roof. The span will be 20 feet and the rise I guess...

Cutting rafters for a playhouse [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know how to cut rafters for a plalyhouse that is 66 inches wide. I want a pitch of 8/12. I need to know how far back to cut the seat cut. Thank you.

Cutting Rafters for a 5'x5' Dog House [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, How do I measure and cut rafters for a 5'x5' dog house with a 5/12 pitch roof with a 6" overhang. This is my first project. Thanks for the help. Connie

Gas cutting [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to know about gas cutting application,i.e. using oxygen & LPG ( Propane + Butane). Kindly letme know the comparison when using oxygen with Acetylene.

View more questions Search