Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meemadr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Old salt water aquarium
    Have had an empty fish salt water filled 32 gal. aquarium for 4 yrs. How can I remove the salinity . Tank is permanently installed in living room wall. Have drained tank and refilled several times. Still the salt accumulates are clings to outer walls of tank. How do I remove the salt? Want a fresh water tank.:confused:
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2008, 12:39 AM
    The build up you are experiencing is more than likely dust and mineral/hard water build up caused by evaporation.

If you have the original coral, crushed coral, rocks, or sand, etc for a salt water set up, these substrates will harden
    The water as well causing the same effect during evaporation.

Both instances look very similar to salt build up that saltwater aquariums get.

Remove everything out of the aquarium, wipe and rinse, then replace with freshwater décor.

If the majority of the tank is enclosed, dust mixed with evaporating water will build up as well.
    Wiping the tank and surrounding areas with a damp cloth often might be the only way to rid the problem.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aquarium water ph [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 400litre tropical tank with malawi cichlids. The ph in the water keeps dropping to 6. The last time this happened I brought the ph back up to 8 using ph8.2 powder. I am due to change the water tomorrow but checked the water again out of curiousity but find it has dropped back down to 6...

Aquarium water hardness [ 1 Answers ]

My aquarium water tests out as very hard. I use well water that is in an area known for lime content. I add water to the tank that has been run through a Brita filter. Can I use aquarium salt to soften the water?

Cloudy aquarium water [ 1 Answers ]

I have an already established aquarium, but cannot get rid of the cloudiness. The ph is Good. Christine

Aquarium water [ 2 Answers ]

I'm setting up a freshwater aquarium & I have "well water" that goes through a water softner... can anyone tell me if this will be okay to use in an aquarium? Thanks, "Ken" [email protected]

View more questions Search