Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marianne2641 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07 View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what is making you think that you are running emergency heat?

A service man came out here to service my unit - it was supposed to be just a routine cleaning... :(... and a general check of the system to be safe for colder weather.

He told me "outdoor unit needs condenser for motor," my outdoor fan was bad, or going bad, and that my unit was only using emergency heat, and not regular heat... and I needed for him to come back and put in this fan motor thing... and that would be an additional $375

:confused:
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 01:41 PM

Hmm, You said the fan motor is still running, correct?

Dec 14, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Hmm, You said the fan motor is still running, correct?

Yes, outside, it is just spinning away
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 01:46 PM

Maybe the fan motor hasn't went out yet. Although,that doesn't mean it won't. If it does go out for some reason,the thermostat will switch over to emergency heat,if the heat pump is not keeping up. I suggest you get the motor checked before is does go out.

Dec 14, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Maybe the fan motor hasn't went out yet. Although,that doesn't mean it won't. If it does go out for some reason,the thermostat will switch over to emergency heat,if the heat pump is not keeping up. I suggest you get the motor checked before is does go out.

How does one check the motor to see if it may present a future problem? Use a voltmeter? I have a friend with one, I think.

You are a real blessing. I am an unemployed single mom with 2 kids, and I only have $800 a month to live on. I am trying to spend wisely any money I have.
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 01:54 PM

If it isn't making any obvious sounds,IE bad bearings. Use an amp clamp to check the amp draws, there is a tag on the unit that shows what the amp draw should be. If you have a friend that is handy,buy the motor over the counter, it's not hard to replace.

Dec 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
    If it isn't making any obvious sounds,IE bad bearings. Use an amp clamp to check the amp draws, there is a tag on the unit that shows what the amp draw should be. If you have a friend that is handy,buy the motor over the counter, it's not hard to replace.
    There was some noises about 2 weeks ago, but my friend said it was the capacitor, that it was loose, or had to have a screwdriver pushed against it to keep it quiet, and getting old... so we replaced it... then the grate around the coils had some screws missing... that makes some noise

But the fan is not where the noise was coming from, anyhow, as far as we know.

The fan is not making any noises at this time... everything out there is quiet

So I can check the amps, but not the bearings?
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 02:07 PM

Well, you can wiggle the shaft on the fan motor, make sure there is no movement in the shaft, if the motor isn't making noise the bearings are probably OK. I would leave it alone until you have anymore problems. Keep an eye on it.

Dec 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Well, you can wiggle the shaft on the fan motor, make sure there is no movement in the shaft, if the motor isn't making noise the bearings are probably ok. I would leave it alone until you have anymore problems. Keep an eye on it.

Thank you so much. I appreciate all you have told me. Learning to understand my own unit helps me, sparing unnecessary expenses will give us a better Christmas, and now I have money for other bills. You are very kind and helpful. We all give you a big hug for Christmas, and a big thanks.

Bye
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 02:30 PM

No problem at all. Take care and merry Christmas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump VS Emergency Heat [ 2 Answers ]

My 15 year old heat pump runs continually, but if I turn it to emergency heat it runs a lot less, plus there is heat coming out of the vents. It seems to me it would be cheaper to run in emergency mode. It seems to run A lot less (blower). Can someone tell me if it saves money in emergency mode,...

Fan Auto function not working with emergency heat [ 1 Answers ]

My heat pump outside unit is out and I switched over to emergency heat on my thermostat. The heat comes on but the fan will not work in AUTO mode, I have to run the Fan in ON mode. Do you know what my problem might be? Outside unit: My outside unit had a wire that was corroded/burned in to....

A/C working, switched to heat, now ac and heat don't work [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Replaced my thermostat in the summer, everything worked good,switched the new thermostat to heat for the first time, now neither the A/C or heat work? Any Ideas? Andy

Heat Pump - Emergency Heat [ 2 Answers ]

My heat pump keeps changing itself to the aux heat. Can you tell me why it is doing this and how I can prevent it from doing it.

Emergency Heat vs Auxiliary Heat [ 1 Answers ]

Why is my thermostat saying the Emergency Heat is on rather than the auxiliary heat and what do I do to correct the problem?:confused:

View more questions Search