Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Holly Molly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Our Joint Accounts
    My boyfriend and I live in St. Louis Missouri and we have a joint bank account and savings account. He has a judgement against him for a personal loan. I had called the creditor to set up payments. We came into a bind to pay the monthly payment so they levied our accounts. They took every red cent. Most of the money in the accounts were my payroll checks. Can they take my money even though we have a joint account? I called the creditor to make new arrangements for the payments. They said they lifted the levy and now the account was no longer frozen. I had put money back into both accounts so we could pay our bills. Now they have levied the account again! How can they take everything and leave you nothing to live on? How are we suppose to pay bills, buy groceries, and buy gas to get to work when they take it all? Isn't there some kind of guidelines that are suppose to protect some of the money so you can live? Can someone please tell me what I'm suppose to do about this?:mad:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 14, 2008, 12:15 PM

Do some damage control so they can't get the money. Keep you money at home and even though its inconvenient for the time being, pay bills in cash even if it means running around to do. These people DO NO HONOUR THEIR COMMITMENTS AND LIE FOR THEIR OWN GAINS and will keep on taking your money.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2008, 01:26 PM

As long as he is a joint owner of the account, they can attach it. You might be able to go back to the court and prove that most of the funds deposited are yours to get them back. It depends on community property laws in your state.

The plaintiff lied to you. They suckered you into putting more money in the account so they can grab it. But you also have to remember that your husband lied to them as well. He borrowed money and promised to pay it back, then reneged on a payment arrangement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift taxes - Joint Accounts [ 5 Answers ]

For 10 or so years I had a savings account with my name being the primary SSN and my parents secondary (so we could all deposit and withdraw if we want). We recently had a 6 month cd with a large amount of the savings in it that was up last Thursday. I wanted to transfer a significant portion of...

Joint accounts [ 2 Answers ]

What or how do you claim anexemption for bank account frozen jointly?

Joint accounts [ 6 Answers ]

If a father dies and all his accounts are joint accounts with his daughter. Can credit card companies come after the daughter/

Garnishments on Joint Bank Accounts [ 2 Answers ]

I live in San Jacinto, CA, and on March 6th received a letter from an attorney in Redondo Beach alerting me of a judgement (already passed) on a Capital One account I once had. The last time I had heard of the possibility of being sued by Capital One was back in 2002. I currently owe them...

Estate taxes/joint accounts [ 2 Answers ]

If I set up a joint account using my ss number with my daughter, how is that taxed when I die? If she draws a check for 50M to buy a car for herself, do I pay a gift tax on it (Minus the yearly allowance)?:) ]

View more questions Search