Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    byuro49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Im having trouble figuring out COGS using LIFO/FIFO/Average Cost method(s)
    Canfield uses a perpetual inventory system. The company’s beginning inventory of a particular product and its purchases during the month of January were as follows:

Quantity Unit Cost Total Cost
    Beginning inventory (Jan. 1) 50 $6 $300
    Purchase (Jan. 10) 25 7 175
    Purchase (Jan. 22) 25 8 200
    Total 100 $675

On January 25, Canfield sells 55 units of this product. The other 45 units remain in inventory at January 31.

A Determine the cost of goods sold using each of the following flow assumptions:

(1) LIFO $_____________

(2) FIFO $_____________

(3) Average cost $_____________
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 08:22 AM
    We can't just answer the question for you, but we can offer you a little bit of help.

First - LIFO. Last in, first out. What does that mean? LIFO means when you start sellng products, you sell the product you most recently bought first.

FIFO - First in, first out. When you start selling products, you sell the product you first bought.

Average cost take the average of all the prices you paid, and uses that as the COGS.

Think about it with milk at the grocery store, all lined up in a row. With LIFO, you're taking the jugs of milk from the front of the row, because the last jug in, is the first one out. With FIFO, you're taking the jugs of milk from the back of the row, because the first jug put in the row, is the first one out. Average cost means you're taking it from the middle.

So for your question above, for LIFO, you need to figure out which products came in most recently, how much they cost, and how many were sold. For FIFO, figure out which products came in first, how much they cost, and how many were sold. For weighted average, find the average cost of each product purchase, and use that number as your base.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FIFO-LIFO- Ending Inventory-COGS formula needed. [ 0 Answers ]

I need your help on the following question I can not seem to get this: Beginning Inventroy: 1,000 units @$10 per unit Purchases: 3,000 units @$12 per unit Sales: 3,500 units @$16 per unit Ending Inventory: 500 units Compute both the ending inventroy value and cost of goods sold using each of...

Perpetual FIFO LIFO Average-Cost Method [ 0 Answers ]

I just can not figure out how to perform FIFO LIFO and average cost method under the Perpetual inventory system.

Find Cost of goods sold and ending inventory using.average cost/FIFO/LIFO [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having a hard time with the fifo and lifo method... of this question Began with 73 yards @ 23 per yard During the month the company made the following purchases. March 3/4 113 yards @ 27 3/12 81 yards @ 29 3/19 167 yards @ 32 3/25 44 yards @ 35

Perpetual LIFO, FIFO, moving average cost [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I have an exam in my acct class, ugh... so lost!! I thought I had this all clear but I have done this problem multiple times and can't end up with our designated answer, can someone help? Any help on any part of the problem would help me out a lot, very lost :( Smith is a retailer in...

View more questions Search